Windows 10: Changing file permission for other user not working

Discus and support Changing file permission for other user not working in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am trying to set a file to read only on a user account but after setting the for the user to read only he still has full control of the file !!... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by scopio, Jul 4, 2019.

1. scopio Win User

Changing file permission for other user not working

I am trying to set a file to read only on a user account but after setting the for the user to read only he still has full control of the file !!

These are the steps I have done;

1. Copied file to X:\Users\Test User\Documents

2. Right Click file > Properties > Security > Edit > Add > Advanced > Find Now (To add Test User) > OK > Restrict permissions Allow Read & Execute and Read only >

Changing file permission for other user not working 06dd4ca1-60de-44e0-89c5-7a618bc27d14?upload=true.jpg Changing file permission for other user not working f38ac455-d127-43ab-b559-55cbc64e1798?upload=true.jpg

3. Advanced >

Changing file permission for other user not working 428a487d-0000-465a-acfc-500bab37dce1?upload=true.jpg

4. Edit >

Changing file permission for other user not working cafe8b9a-f126-4ac3-8a48-ab153618984b?upload=true.jpg

5. Show advanced permissions >

Changing file permission for other user not working de5892b1-3b5e-4e81-bda5-4676002d8962?upload=true.jpg

6. Pressed OK > OK > OK

Signed into Test User account > Opened the file to test if the change of permissions worked and glum they do not work! The Test User can still alter the file as if he had full control!! Changing file permission for other user not working :(

What have I done/not done to restrict the Test User to only be able to read the file and nothing else??

:)

scopio, Jul 4, 2019
  2. tom acito Win User

how to change folder and file permissions in windows 10

this is for a file... how for a folder and ALL subfolders and files

thanks.

tom acito, Jul 4, 2019
  3. how to change folder and file permissions in windows 10

Hi David,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

• Are you trying to give permission to particular files and folders?
    I suggest you to follow the below step and check if it helps.

• Once you choose the file that you want to give permission, right click on it.
    • Click on properties and go to security tab, check whether any permission have been set.
    • After you have viewed the permissions that are already set, you can now click on the Advanced Button that is right below the "Permissions for Authenticated Users"
    • Once you have clicked Advanced, a box like this should appear, the "Permission Entries" box, which shows all the permissions that are set for the users. Now, after you have spotted the user whose permissions you wish to change, click "Change Permissions.
    • Click on the user you would like to edit, and then click the option that says "Change Permissions" which is right below the box.
    • Once that is clicked, you are going to get the same box pop up, but this time, you can actually edit the options. You do that by clicking the "Administrators" user again, and this time, you are going to click the "Edit" option.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jul 4, 2019
  4. Changing file permission for other user not working

No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Jul 4, 2019
Thema:

Changing file permission for other user not working

1. Changing file permission for other user not working - Similar Threads - Changing file permission

2. user file permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    user file permissions: Hi,I have a senior to a user access to a specific file share folder.The permissions: a user U1, who is in a group G1 have access to a file F1, F1 folder have subfolders with inheritance permissions from F1.The Goal: is to let U1 user access to only 2 subfolders within F1...
  3. user file permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    user file permissions: Hi,I have a senior to a user access to a specific file share folder.The permissions: a user U1, who is in a group G1 have access to a file F1, F1 folder have subfolders with inheritance permissions from F1.The Goal: is to let U1 user access to only 2 subfolders within F1...
  4. user file permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. File Permissions Not Working

File Permissions Not Working: Hey all, A while back I got a nice new SSD and a fresh install of WIN10 on it. Everything is going smoothly except for 1 thing. On 1 of my multiple HDD's, I am not able to delete/change files, even though I have changed the HDD's (and all folder's/subfolder's) permissions...
  6. Granting permission to network user to change files.

Granting permission to network user to change files.: Hello there, Would you please help me to grant a permission for another computer( which is connected via network ) to change files. Thanks Ilhom...
  7. File permissions for another user

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    File permissions for another user: The situation is this; the pc administrator has financial folders and files that she has full permission to access, write, change, delete, backup etc. there is another user whom she needs to give permission to access the folder and files but with read only permission. How...
  8. File permissions for another user

in Windows 10 Support
    File permissions for another user: The situation is this; the pc administrator has financial folders and files that she has full permission to access, write, change, delete, backup etc. there is another user whom she needs to give permission to access the folder and files but with read only permission. How...
  9. Changing Dial-In Permissions for a Local User

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Dial-In Permissions for a Local User: Hi, I'm trying to set up a Workgroup server running Win2012R2 Server Core (i.e no Domain so no AD Based solutions, please) to act as a VPN server for an SSTP VPN. I have everything going using a combination of Powershell and RSAT from Win10 Pro EXCEPT giving the local user...
  10. Change file/folder permission to machine/user only

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Change file/folder permission to machine/user only: Is there a way to make take ownership change file/folder permission to machine/user while getting rid of old and or corrupted information? Just something that came to mind when I was fooling with format/reinstalling windose again. I dunno if its something to be aware of...