Windows 10: Changing from AHCI to RAID causes boot loop

Discus and support Changing from AHCI to RAID causes boot loop in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a MySN XMG U716 (Clevo P775DM1) that I got with two 256Gb Samung 951 NVMe PCIe SSD's, initially in RAID 1. I later decided to break this RAID... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SergeantSteve, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Changing from AHCI to RAID causes boot loop

I have a MySN XMG U716 (Clevo P775DM1) that I got with two 256Gb Samung 951 NVMe PCIe SSD's, initially in RAID 1. I later decided to break this RAID array because I wanted the extra 256Gb for games etc, and I broke the array by setting them to Non-Raid but leaving RAID mode enabled.

Somehow the BIOS has been set back to AHCI (possibly by the BIOS and KBC/EC Firmware Updates I've done, although I'm not fully convinced that it wasn't something else), but Windows boots just fine in AHCI mode, but I cannot see the NVMe Drives in Intel Rapid Storage Technology when they are in AHCI mode (because they're NVME PCIe drives that are designed to be used in RAID mode, not AHCI). So if I wanted to set up the SSD's in RAID 1 again I can't do it and keep my data by using the Intel RST.

If I switch Windows to Safe Boot from MSCONFIG and restart and change the Controller Mode to RAID I get the XMG Logo with the spinning circle for longer than it normally takes to boot, and then it pauses for a few seconds before going back to the beginning of the boot sequence as through you hit the restart button.

I had an issue with the Intel Extreme Tunrup Utility last year and Windows wouldn't boot afterwards, I couldn't figure out how to access the BIOS so I ended up pulling the CMOS Battery which reset to AHCI from RAID but back then I got INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" now I don't even get that, just an attempt to boot then restart.

I tried using a bootable USB stick created with the Media Creation Tool but it cannot see the NVMe Drives when set to RAID, only the two SATA HDDs that I also have. I believe it is also nigh on impossible to get the Recovery Environment to load RAID drivers as well as or instead of AHCI.

I'm at a loss as to what I can actually do to get these drives back in RAID mode so everything is as it should be, as the old registry tweaks (such as HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci) are no longer present in Windows 10 and the ones suggested for Windows 8 such as StartOverride for "iaStorAV" don't seem to be working either.

:)

SergeantSteve, Sep 18, 2017

2. Why when I apply my windows update for windows 10 does my raid get disabled on my BIOS

When I apply an update on windows my raid is disabled on the bios and it changes back to ahci.

Once I re-enable the raid the windows update then goes into a restore from previous restore point loop. This loop is taking longer and longer to complete.

Tyler DeanSmith, Sep 18, 2017
  3. Funkyecat Win User
    Changinr Raid to AHCI

I don't have Raid! I want to change to AHCI. When I trie normally it won't boot.

Funkyecat, Sep 18, 2017
  4. Changing from AHCI to RAID causes boot loop

Hi SergeantSteve.

When you boot from from the media created with the media creation tool, and you already have the BIOS set to raid, do you create the raid when you see the Intel screen. You have to enter the software, CRTL + I, during the boot, before windows installation starts and create Raid. At least that is how I remember doing it.

Maybe that is what you are doing but thought I would confirm.

Caledon Ken, Sep 19, 2017
  5. I am not trying to create a RAID Array, I am trying to get Windows to boot with the SATA Controller set to RAID mode instead of AHCI.

My reason for wanting RAID instead of AHCI is because the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Software does not recognise the NVMe Drives under AHCI, only under RAID mode.

There is no "CTRL + I" screen for my Laptop and no Intel screen, you can create a RAID Array directly from the Intel RST settings in the BIOS.

When I purchased my Laptop I asked for the two NVMe Drives to be in RAID 1. When I had issues with Windows refusing to boot because I messed up the BIOS using the Intel Extreme Tuneup Utility I had to pull the BIOS Battery. This resulted in the BIOS changing to AHCI mode and Windows gave "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE".

Once I changed the Controller mode back to RAID Windows booted fine off one of the NVME drives as the RAID Array had been broken by me removing the BIOS Battery. However with the BIOS in RAID Mode I was able to see the NVMe Drives in Intel RST and I could then setup the RAID 1 Array from within Windows again and copy the data from the drive that it had booted to.

Earlier this year I decided I wanted to use the second NVMe drive for storage, and I went into the BIOS and deleted the RAID Array and set both drives back to Non-RAID. If I remember correctly I believe I still had the BIOS in RAID Mode and I could still see the NVMe drives in Intel RST in Windows. Now I cannot boot in RAID mode because I get the XMG Logo with spinning circle for longer than it normally takes to boot, then it restarts from the beginning again.

SergeantSteve, Sep 19, 2017
  6. Okay but why not repeat what "worked" before. Create the the raid 1 array using both drives boot, install windows and then break array.

Have a look at this tutorial, in particular step 12. You may have to load drivers as part of the installation.

Clean Install Windows 10

Caledon Ken, Sep 19, 2017
  7. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,
    @SergeantSteve: on my machines the raid volume needs to be created from within UEFI/BIOS first. Controller set to RAID as well.
    When you install W10 you need to feed it the Intel RST driver and if you like Samsung's NVMe driver too.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Sep 19, 2017
  8. spunk Win User

Changing from AHCI to RAID causes boot loop

When you change the HDD mode from AHCI to RAID, you have to reinstall the OS from scratch. You may be able to edit the Windows Registry to accept the change. Be sure to backup the registry and your files before attempting. How to: Change SATA Modes After Windows Installation

spunk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Changing from AHCI to RAID causes boot loop

1. Changing from AHCI to RAID causes boot loop - Similar Threads - Changing AHCI RAID

2. Hello, should I reinstall window after changing boot mode from Raid to AHCI?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hello, should I reinstall window after changing boot mode from Raid to AHCI?: Hello, Recently i install window 10, after installation i change SATA mode from Raid to AHCI using Safe boot, currently its working fine but i am confused will it cause any issue in future. should i reinstall window to not encounter any issue in near future....
  3. How to change from raid to ahci?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change from raid to ahci?: Hi , I want to change my sata ssd controller form raid to ahci.. I watched many solutions , all of them told to boot to safe mode and then enter bios to change raid to achi.. But the problem is that i am having a laptop where the bios is only having simple settings , no...
  4. How to change from raid to ahci?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change from raid to ahci?: Hi , I want to change my sata ssd controller form raid to ahci.. I watched many solutions , all of them told to boot to safe mode and then enter bios to change raid to achi.. But the problem is that i am having a laptop where the bios is only having simple settings , no...
  5. AHCI or RAID?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    AHCI or RAID?: Hi there, I am about to install Windows 10 onto a single 4.0 NVMe M.2 as a clean installation and I want to know if I should set the SATA control to AHCI or RAID? This is not a RAID set up just one single 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD card. Thank you, Robert....
  6. Change from Raid to AHCI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change from Raid to AHCI: I have a Dell Inspiron 15 -7000- i5- 7573 came with SSD SanDisk X400 M.2 2280 256GB-1012 card, ok! in the Bios it is in Raid mode, and I would like to change it to AHCI, is it possible to make that change? Thanks JP...
  7. Can't read data from "RAID" disk on after BIOS change RAID to AHCI

Can't read data from "RAID" disk on after BIOS change RAID to AHCI: Hey, I got an old Dell Latitude laptop that I was going to update my HDD on so I removed the old drive (it was an m.2 disk in an adapter in a 2.5" slot). I plugged in my new Samsung 840 which the computer couldn't find so I changed the BIOS setting from RAID to AHCI (Raid is...
  8. Switch from Raid to AHCI

in Windows 10 Customization
    Switch from Raid to AHCI: Is there a way to switch from Raid to AHCI without losing everything and having to reinstall Windows again? 104898
  9. AHCI or RAID

AHCI or RAID: Hi. I have just purchased a Dell XPS 15 Laptop with a single 512gb SSD. I am wanting to clean install Windows 10 but am unsure whether to place the BIOS in RAID or AHCI? I have heard the read/write SSD speeds are similar once in windows. Would one of these interfaces...
  10. Switch from AHCI to RAID

Switch from AHCI to RAID: I have Windows 10 Pro installed on an SSD in AHCI mode. I would like to add a RAID 1 array to this system for storage but I understand some registry tweaks must be made before I can change my BIOS from AHCI to RAID mode or I'll end up hosing Windows. I've read that the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. intel rst causes boot loop