Windows 10: Changing from hdd to ssd

Discus and support Changing from hdd to ssd in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I brought a laptop with preinstalled windows and it runs a hdd but i need to move the booting to ssd. How do i do that and will i lose my original... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Pranav Sebastian Louis, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Changing from hdd to ssd

I brought a laptop with preinstalled windows and it runs a hdd but i need to move the booting to ssd. How do i do that and will i lose my original windows?

:)

Pranav Sebastian Louis, Jun 4, 2021
  2. BulldogXX Win User

HDD to SSD

I don't understand why you changed the boot order in your BIOS.

When you image or clone an HDD, and restore the image or clone to an SSD, you've got an identical copy of your computer on a different hard drive. Nothing has changed, really. So the next step is to remove the HDD from your computer and replace it with the
    SSD, then carry on as normal.

BulldogXX, Jun 4, 2021
  3. How to change a HDD being listed as SSD

Hi Peter,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I will definitely assist you, as per your query.

Based on the description, please be informed that manually we cannot change the SSD to HDD. However, let’s try running hardware troubleshooter and check if it helps. Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select Control Panel.

• Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the Control Panel.

• Click on Small icon on the left navigation pane.

• Click on Troubleshooting and click on
      Hardware and Device.

• Click on Advanced on the Hardware troubleshooter dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).

• Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the Hardware troubleshooter.
    If the issue remain the same after hardware troubleshooting, I suggest you to go to BIOS and check what is HDD is listed on BIOS and let us know.

Hope the above information helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Billion Debbarma, Jun 4, 2021
  4. brify Win User

Changing from hdd to ssd

Storage setup with a SSD and HDD

Hi

I have just purchased an HP Pavillion Desktop with a 256GB SSD and 2TB HDD, I have initialised windows, choosing to use OneDrive for backup and storage (I have 1TB cloud storage with 365) and also updated windows and drivers. I have not transferred
    any data from my old pc yet.

I now wish to setup the pc to have the operating system and program files on the SSD as they are currently and all my Files/Pictures/Music etc on the HDD but I am unsure of the correct procedures and order in which to carry them out. I also want to
    continue using OneDrive for backup and file access from other devices.

I am aware of the following:

• The OneDrive folder is currently on the SSD and is backing up the default Desktop, Documents and Pictures. I wish to move this folder to the HDD but I am not when to do this, looking at the steps below, to prevent any sync issues
    • I know I can move my user folders, Documents, Pictures etc to the HDD by changing the location of these from C: (SSD) to D: (HDD), leaving the User/Username folder on C:
    • I have also noticed that in Settings/System/Storage I can 'change the location where new content is saved' for these folders, what is the difference between this and moving the location of the folders as detailed above.

Can anyone advise on the best/correct method of setting my system up going forward?

Thanks

brify, Jun 4, 2021
Thema:

Changing from hdd to ssd

1. Changing from hdd to ssd - Similar Threads - Changing hdd ssd

2. Correct procedure to change from a hdd to an ssd on a laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Correct procedure to change from a hdd to an ssd on a laptop.: So, i want to upgrade my storage unit, from a hdd to an ssd on my laptop. And i want to know the correct way of doing it.I want to install a fresh solid state drive on my laptop, withouth any data loaded into it, i want to start from 0. I have heard something about gpt, but i...
  3. Correct procedure to change from a hdd to an ssd on a laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Correct procedure to change from a hdd to an ssd on a laptop.: So, i want to upgrade my storage unit, from a hdd to an ssd on my laptop. And i want to know the correct way of doing it.I want to install a fresh solid state drive on my laptop, withouth any data loaded into it, i want to start from 0. I have heard something about gpt, but i...
  4. Changing windows from hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing windows from hdd to ssd: So my computer is old and I have been upgrading it. Windows is on the first memory driver which is HDD but I have an SSD installed. I Want to change windows to the SSD. There are many different ways on the internet, but all of them use programs which I prefer not to. Can't I...
  5. needed to change hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Customization
    needed to change hdd to ssd: hi!! may i know which ssd hard disk is suitable for lenovo yoga 520 as when i transfer some file it is too slow already please give suggestion thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/needed-to-change-hdd-to-ssd/95a19438-5ab8-4ea4-be9c-80700a597c5d
  6. Changing from HDD to SSD and keeping Windows 10

Changing from HDD to SSD and keeping Windows 10: I have problems with my 4-year-old HDD and it's causing my pc to crash and I want to change to SSD. How do I achieve this? I have backed up important files and can reload my purchased software but have no Windows 10 product keys on my Lenovo pc as far as I can see as in the...
  7. How to change boot drive from hdd to ssd?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to change boot drive from hdd to ssd?: One of the latest microsoft updates crashed my computer. As a result I had to get windows reinstalled in the repair shop. When I got my computer (laptop) back, I found that windows had been reinstalled on my hdd, not my ssd. I am looking to fix this now. I've already cloned...
  8. Changing from HDD to SSD

Changing from HDD to SSD: I have installed an SSD drive to my desktop PC. I want this drive to be the boot up drive and have a clean copy of windows 10. What is the best way to go about this?...
  9. change HDD and boot from file.vhd in new SSD

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    change HDD and boot from file.vhd in new SSD: Hi, i have a windows 10 laptop,i have bought a SSD because i want to change my old HDD, i have just created a VHD file and now i would like to set boot loader to get it started from my FILE.VHD in my new SSD. i have win 10 dvd-rom, but i don't want reinstall everything. i...
  10. Changing a HDD To a SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing a HDD To a SSD: Good day to all. I have a windows 10 desktop with two drives installed the main C drive is a SSD which holds all my programs and of course the operating system. Second drive is a HDD which is F drive has all my documents pictures music and so on. Now I have a spare SSD that...