Windows 10: Changing from the RST Optane driver to AHCI in an existing Windows 10

Discus and support Changing from the RST Optane driver to AHCI in an existing Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; First of all, the system won't need a driver change to run Windows 10. Both AHCI and the PCIe drives are included in the RST Optane driver. It does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Frabnkhs, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Frabnkhs Win User

Changing from the RST Optane driver to AHCI in an existing Windows 10

First of all, the system won't need a driver change to run Windows 10. Both AHCI and the PCIe drives are included in the RST Optane driver. It does both.

So upgrading to my NVMe SSD would merely mean disabling the RST Optane software and exchanging the NVMe Optane M.2 card with the SSD and it would (probably) work without any changes in the BIOS

With the RST Optane driver installed in Windows 10 the mechanical drive would be running off of the AHCI part of the RST Optane driver and the SSD would be running off the NVMe part of the same RST Optane driver.

My problem is that Linux installers don't like non standard drivers so the Linux installer doesn't see the Drive and so I would need to change the Windows drivers to AHCI and also the corresponding BIOS settings

My question is I found what looks like a good solution but I need a second opinion. It looks "too easy" and "to good to be true"

Changing from the RST Optane driver to AHCI in an existing Windows 10 [​IMG]

My windows loaded drivers:

Changing from the RST Optane driver to AHCI in an existing Windows 10 [​IMG]

And here's the complete 2016 article it's from:

http:////samnicholls.net/2016/01/14/...ows-10-xps-13/

Thanks in advance

:)

Frabnkhs, Aug 31, 2020
  2. btarunr Win User

Intel RST AHCI driver for ICH10R?

ICH10R is support is discontinued in RST since 2013. If you're using some of the newer versions of Windows (8.1 and 10), you're better off using Microsoft's AHCI driver. It's more stable.

btarunr, Aug 31, 2020
  3. SagyAssor Win User
    AHCI to RST

Hello,

I got a laptop with Windows 10 installed on it.

I changed SATA mode from RST to AHCI in order to use Linux dual-boot alongside windows. (also did some changed in the registry)

Now I want to change it back, I switched from AHCI to RST which caused blue screen (inaccessible_boot_device), I switched back to AHCI and now it boots normally.

How do I do it? I don't mind formatting my windows (my PC needs a little bit of cleaning anyway).

Thank you in advanced!

SagyAssor, Aug 31, 2020
  4. Changing from the RST Optane driver to AHCI in an existing Windows 10

Unable to change from Intel RST (fakeraid) to AHCI

For various reasons, I am attempting to change my system from Intel RST to AHCI.

I followed the various guides I have found on the internet to go about this.

Here was my process:

1. cmd: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal

2. regedit: changed Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\StartOverride "0" Dword value from 3 to 0

3. restart computer into UEFI firmware settings

4. change from Intel RST to AHCI.

After following these steps, I get a message about starting up automatic system repair. I then get a classic blue screen. Starting up cmd from there puts me on X:\, not C:\. attempting to cd C:\ gives me an error that it is inaccessible.

I then opened regedit from cmd, and checked the Dword value that I changed earlier. Despite my original changes, this value was still set to three.

I am running a Lenovo Legion Y530 with a 2TB HDD and 16GB Optane.

Thanks!

***Moved from Windows 10/Files, folders, & storage***

LonelyKirbyMain, Aug 31, 2020
Thema:

Changing from the RST Optane driver to AHCI in an existing Windows 10

1. Changing from the RST Optane driver to AHCI in an existing Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Changing RST Optane

2. Can't restore Windows 11 after changing BIOS RAID RST to AHCI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't restore Windows 11 after changing BIOS RAID RST to AHCI: I need to change my BIOS from RAID/RST to AHCI to support a dual-boot configuration.I took care to create a Windows 11 System Image on an external drive and a System Repair DVD before doing anything else.However, after making the change, and then using the System Repair disc...
  3. Can't restore Windows 11 after changing BIOS RAID RST to AHCI

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't restore Windows 11 after changing BIOS RAID RST to AHCI: I need to change my BIOS from RAID/RST to AHCI to support a dual-boot configuration.I took care to create a Windows 11 System Image on an external drive and a System Repair DVD before doing anything else.However, after making the change, and then using the System Repair disc...
  4. RST link power management like AHCI?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RST link power management like AHCI?: Is there a hidden option to setup link power management on RST controller?Just change AHCI to active and PCIe to OFF but my secondary disk ROG ASUS STRIX SCAR 15 laptop keeps hanging randomly for seconds when I play from that disk.I have 2 nvme disks and they work fine but...
  5. RST link power management like AHCI?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RST link power management like AHCI?: Is there a hidden option to setup link power management on RST controller?Just change AHCI to active and PCIe to OFF but my secondary disk ROG ASUS STRIX SCAR 15 laptop keeps hanging randomly for seconds when I play from that disk.I have 2 nvme disks and they work fine but...
  6. Changing Intel RST to AHCI in BIOS menu causes Windows to fail to boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Changing Intel RST to AHCI in BIOS menu causes Windows to fail to boot: I'm trying to boot Ubuntu 20.04.1 from a flash drive to my Windows 10 PC. When I enter the boot menu I can select the drive and I get as far as "Install Ubuntu" before it tells me I have to disable Intel RST in the BIOS menu before Ubuntu can install. The only other option in...
  7. Change from Raid to AHCI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change from Raid to AHCI: I have a Dell Inspiron 15 -7000- i5- 7573 came with SSD SanDisk X400 M.2 2280 256GB-1012 card, ok! in the Bios it is in Raid mode, and I would like to change it to AHCI, is it possible to make that change? Thanks JP...
  8. Intel RST vs Windows AHCI drivers.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Intel RST vs Windows AHCI drivers.: Does anybody know whether the Intel RST drivers (in AHCI mode) perform better than the Windows installed SATA drivers? Has anyone uninstalled RST drivers? I get a warning that I will not be able to uninstall them. [img] 168770
  9. AHCI to RST

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    AHCI to RST: Hello, I've been messing around a little bit with Linux dual boot so i had to switch from RST to AHCI and change some stuff in the registry. Now I want to switch back from AHCI to RST without causing any damage, I don't mind to format my Windows 10 if necessary (need to...
  10. Unable to change from Intel RST (fakeraid) to AHCI

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to change from Intel RST (fakeraid) to AHCI: For various reasons, I am attempting to change my system from Intel RST to AHCI. I followed the various guides I have found on the internet to go about this. Here was my process: 1. cmd: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal 2. regedit: changed...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant login window with sata mode rts with optane