Windows 10: changing hardware, activation question.

Discus and support changing hardware, activation question. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; i am soon going to be upgrading my hardware. my old stuff is breaking down and since im on old architecture i need to upgrade the cpu, and by extension... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by lycancowboy1989, Nov 29, 2018.

1. changing hardware, activation question.

i am soon going to be upgrading my hardware. my old stuff is breaking down and since im on old architecture i need to upgrade the cpu, and by extension the mobo and ram as well.

i believe i have a retail key for win 7 which i used to upgrade to win 10.

after i upgrade my components, am i going to be able to activate windows on it with my current key, or will i need to buy a new one? does this change if it happens to be oem, and what happens if i decide to get a new pc entirely?

assuming im just upgrading the components then are there any steps i need to take to prep before hand other than having a win 7 install usb handy (to then upgrade back to win 10)?

:)

lycancowboy1989, Nov 29, 2018

2. Activation problems after hardware changes and reinstallations.

Hi Meli,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Was Windows 10 activated before re-installing it?

Along with the suggestions provided by Greg, you can also refer the steps below.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

Why can't I activate Windows 10?:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-errors-windows-10

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Nov 29, 2018
  3. JT1969C10 Win User
    Activating WIndows 10 after hardware change.

Before replacing my hardware on my main computer, I logged into my Microsoft Windows account. Once logged in, I saw that the name of the PC that I was upgrading was in my list of PCs that were activated for Windows 10 Pro. So after reviewing how to reactivate
    after a HW changed, I went ahead and upgraded the motherboard, CPU and memory in that PC.

Now, when it is time to reactivate, the PC in question is still listed in the hardware list on my MS account but it will not allow me to activate Windows. I followed the instructions online and ran the troubleshooting tool. It then gave me the following
    response:

Unable to activate Windows

We can’t find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that can be used for reactivating the device you’re using right now. Make sure you’re signed in with the same Microsoft account you linked to the
    Windows 10 digital license on this device or try again later.

See other devices linked to your Microsoft account

So why would it not find the license that was for this PC when it had the old hardware installed? My assumption, albeit may wrong, was that the PC was activated because it was in the list. It was also activated as a Windows 10 Pro edition.

Anyone have any suggestions on this type of issue?

JT1969C10, Nov 29, 2018
  4. Sher Amo Win User

changing hardware, activation question.

Can't activate after hardware change

Hi Sullivan,

In Windows 10 (Version 1607 or later), you can link your Microsoft account to the Windows 10 digital license on your device. This can help you reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware
    change later, such as replacing the motherboard. To assist you with your concern, we suggest that you follow the steps provided on this
    link. The link contains all the necessary information on how to reactive Windows 10 after a hardware
    change.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Sher Amo, Nov 29, 2018
Thema:

changing hardware, activation question.

1. changing hardware, activation question. - Similar Threads - changing hardware activation

2. Activation After Hardware change.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation After Hardware change.: Hi I downloaded Windows 10 Home some time ago and it activated with a digital licence linked to my account. I decided to upgrade the motherboard but now it won't reactivate ,I'm logged into my account and clicked I changed my hardware selected the device but it won't...
  3. Activation on hardware change

Activation on hardware change: I have recently changed my motherboard and other parts I need to change the product code to the new device I have done this once before but that involved ringing Microsoft which overall was an awful experience is there any way I can do it in my settings...
  4. Activation when changing hardware

Activation when changing hardware: My PC is running Windows 10 Pro, which was acquired via a free upgrade from Windows 7 Pro. I don't recall whether that version was OEM or Retail, as I got it something like 11 years ago through my university at the time. It involved going on to a microsoft store, adding a...
  5. Activation after hardware change

Activation after hardware change: So I recently changed my motherboard, cpu and memory and reinstalled windows 10 corrupt sys 32 or something idk. Obviously, I then had to reactivate windows but when I tried to it told me that I had already reactivated windows using that key. I never have. Is this something...
  6. hardware change and activation

hardware change and activation: my pc running windows 10 was sent in twice to the manufacturer for motherboard issues while under warranty. now that the warranty period is over, i would like to swap out the motherboard all together. i would like to know if there will be a problem with automatic activation...
  7. Hardware changes and windows activation

Hardware changes and windows activation: I recently changed a lot of hardware to my computer including the motherboard. There is a watermark in the lower right hand corner saying to Activate Windows. So I went to the activation in settings and used the trouble shooter. I clicked the link on the troubleshooter that...
  8. Activation after Hardware Changes.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation after Hardware Changes.: I've recently rebuilt my PC with completely new Mobo, CPU and RAM. However, my HDD is the same and I've just plugged it in straight from my old PC, without using any sort of transfer utility. Windows is now telling me it is not activated , and when I click on "recent hardware...
  9. Hardware changes and activation

Hardware changes and activation: In my experience over many years of monkeying about with pc hardware, I have never had problems activating genuine copies of Windows. Changing cpu's, hdd's ram and graphics cards have never bothered Microsoft. Back in the XP days, I also changed motherboards with OEM software...
  10. Changing hardware and licensing questions...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing hardware and licensing questions...: So my son has an older PC that is running Win 10 and I am running a newer PC also on Win 10. I intend on upgrading most of my machine (CPU, motherboard, and ram). I want to give him my old hardware, but am curious on how a clean install on both our machines will go based on...