Windows 10: Changing hardware and licensing questions...

Discus and support Changing hardware and licensing questions... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So my son has an older PC that is running Win 10 and I am running a newer PC also on Win 10. I intend on upgrading most of my machine (CPU,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rbarr110, Dec 28, 2016.

1. rbarr110 Win User

Changing hardware and licensing questions...

So my son has an older PC that is running Win 10 and I am running a newer PC also on Win 10. I intend on upgrading most of my machine (CPU, motherboard, and ram). I want to give him my old hardware, but am curious on how a clean install on both our machines will go based on the significant change in hardware.

Any ideas on how MS will see these hardware changes and what hoops I may have to go through to get Win 10 reactivated on both machines?

Thanks

:)

rbarr110, Dec 28, 2016

2. Change of hardware question

Glad to know this.

Sumit Dhiman2, Dec 28, 2016
  3. Change of hardware question

Nope you should not have to.

In case of a significant hardware change, you may have to activate windows by phone.

For info on how to activate your PC, see the product activation article.

Sumit Dhiman2, Dec 28, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Dec 28, 2016
Thema:

1. Changing hardware and licensing questions... - Similar Threads - Changing hardware licensing

2. Digital license not detected after changing hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Digital license not detected after changing hardware: After changing motherboard, I tried reactivating Windows but getting error due to server not available. After successful reactivation, I did a system restore to an earlier time because of a driver issue then my Windows got deactivated again. Now I cannot reactivate as my...
  3. Can't reactivate license after hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't reactivate license after hardware change: Hi - I have recently updated a couple of components in my PC and now I need to re-activate the license I have tied to my microsoft account. I tried the troubleshooter, and got to the step where I should select my device, but the list of devices is empty even though I do see...
  4. License activation issue after hardware change.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    License activation issue after hardware change.: Hi, My lenovo desktop has crashed and repair facility is not available on site. We have delivered the alternate machines with same make Different Model but the license is not available. We have other lenovo machines running on same site. Can we retrieve and use these...
  5. Changing windows 10 license after hardware change

Changing windows 10 license after hardware change: Hello, So, yesterday I changed my motherboard in the same computer, and so after installing Windows 10, I went to "Troubleshoot windows 10 license" --> "Device hardware change" and thats where it told me that I could activate it again from my old computer. I was surprised...
  6. Hardware Change and Missing Digital License

Hardware Change and Missing Digital License: Hi there I purchased Windows 8 Pro in 2015 and used this to get the free Windows 10 upgrade. For the last five years Windows would always tell me that I had a digital license if I went into activation options under the settings panel. On my Microsoft account my PC would show...
  7. cannot reactivate license after hardware change

cannot reactivate license after hardware change: Hi, I upgraded hardware on my PC and now my Windows version is no longer seen as active. When trying to reactivate It seems my old license tied to my user, and shows my computer name, but I cannot reactivate. It simply throws an error. How could I go about fixing this?...
  8. Windows License reactivation after hardware change

Windows License reactivation after hardware change: Hi, I recently changed hardware and now my windows license has been deactivated. I tried using the troubleshooter but it didn't work. I signed in to the account were the digital license was connected to, but still can't get it to reactivate....
  9. changing hardware, activation question.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    changing hardware, activation question.: i am soon going to be upgrading my hardware. my old stuff is breaking down and since im on old architecture i need to upgrade the cpu, and by extension the mobo and ram as well. i believe i have a retail key for win 7 which i used to upgrade to win 10. after i upgrade my...
  10. Installing a digital license after hardware change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing a digital license after hardware change: Hi all, I was hoping to double check with the wisdom of the interwebs if my understanding of the re-install process is right before I do something I can't undo. Essentially my PC has become very unstable, with the CPU dying a long painful death (painful for me anyways)....