Windows 10: Changing HDD access from IDE to AHCI under a dual boot system (window 7 & Window 10)

Discus and support Changing HDD access from IDE to AHCI under a dual boot system (window 7 & Window 10) in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Please advise how to change HDD access from IDE to AHCI under a dual boot system (c:Window 7 & d:Window 10)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by fatchiu, Sep 9, 2018.

1. fatchiu Win User

Changing HDD access from IDE to AHCI under a dual boot system (window 7 & Window 10)

Please advise how to change HDD access from IDE to AHCI under a dual boot system (c:Window 7 & d:Window 10)

:)

fatchiu, Sep 9, 2018
  2. puma99dk| Win User

Dual Boot Windows question.

here is a guide that should do the trick: How to Dual-Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or 8

Just remember if u want UEFI on Windows 10 u most have UEFI on your Windows 7 too if not u need to go change it in the bios everytime u want to go back to Windows 7.

puma99dk|, Sep 9, 2018
  3. Melvis Win User
    Changing IDE to AHCI Mode

Hi guys, I thought i might put this up for people that also might have missed this setting to get AHCI mode working on your motherboard.

A mate of mine decided to look into it and found a Windows Vista/7 fix so you can enable AHCI mode in your BIOS without the system blue screening, like it does for most computers that are already set on IDE mode.

Now most of you guys might already knows this but I didn't and all my computers where set on IDE mode and when I would change it to AHCI it would just crash when booting so I just thought oh well it don't work and never bothered with it again. But it seems if you set AHCI mode BEFORE installing Windows you wont have this issue, but if you did not set it before then running this Fix will fix your problem *Smile Changing HDD access from IDE to AHCI under a dual boot system (window 7 &  Window 10) :)

Ok run this Fix > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 then go to your BIOS, change your settings from IDE mode to AHCI mode, save and exit, boot into Windows, it will then install all the drivers that you need for this Mode. Once its finished it will ask you to reboot, reboot and your done *Smile Changing HDD access from IDE to AHCI under a dual boot system (window 7 &  Window 10) :)

Made a big difference for me in boot times and file transfer times, everything sped up alot.

*Toast :toast:

Melvis, Sep 9, 2018
  4. Rudy Mas Win User

Changing HDD access from IDE to AHCI under a dual boot system (window 7 & Window 10)

AHCI vs regular Native IDE

If you want to change IDE to AHCI in windows 10, without a clean install, do the following steps:

• Open Command Prompt (Admin)
    • type: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
    • Restart PC and go into you BIOS -> Set IDE to AHCI
    • Windows 10 will start if Safe Mode
    • Open Command Prompt (Admin)
    • type: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
    • Restart and Windows 10 should load with AHCI enabled now

Until now, I had a 100% succes rate with this, but in the case Windows 10 wouldn't start, go back into your BIOS and set AHCI to IDE.

Rudy Mas, Sep 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Changing HDD access from IDE to AHCI under a dual boot system (window 7 & Window 10) - Similar Threads - Changing HDD access

2. Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10: I have Windows 7 on my C: drive, I downloaded Windows 10 from Microsoft onto a USB connected SATA drive on my laptop. (drive F:) When I go to install Windows 10 it does not ask me what drive I want to install it to. Will it automatically install to the F: drive since that is...
  3. Dual booting Windows 10 and 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual booting Windows 10 and 7: I have a machine with the following specs: i5 3570K 8GB DDR3 1600 Z77 Pro4-M HD7950 1x1TB WD Blue (D:\ and F:\ Windows 7 x64) 1x250GB Seagate Surveillance HDD (C:\) (Windows 10 x64) Windows 7 is installed on the 1TB drive, and Windows 10 is installed on the 250GB drive. At...
  4. Removing Windows 7 from dual boot

Removing Windows 7 from dual boot: Hi I've had a quick look to see if anything comes up on this topic but so far have not found anything. I'm pretty sure it must have come up at some time but I just haven't found it so apologies for posting the question again. I have a spare PC running Win7 and Win10 in...
  5. Dual booting windows 7 and 10

Dual booting windows 7 and 10: I have just upgraded windows 7 to windows 10... I've bought a new ssd to install windows 10, but it was installed over my windows 7(in the old ssd) in the process.... Articles in this forum say that you cannot dual boot windows 7 and windows 10, since once you proceed to...
  6. dual booting windows 7 and 10

dual booting windows 7 and 10: Hello, Apologies if this is in the wrong area, I am new to this site so please move this if appropriate. I have recently just upgraded to a new laptop, due to my old laptop (4 years old, running windows 7) has been giving me overheating issues for what seems like an...
  7. Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot

Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot: I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the...
  8. Dual Boot Windows 7 And 10

Dual Boot Windows 7 And 10: I have been running Windows 7 on a Dell OptiPlex 960. The 960 has 2 hard drives. I made a system image, (Macrium) of drive C, (Windows 7) I then installed that image on the second hard drive (F). I unplugged the first hard drive, (C) and booted into second drive, (F), fired...
  9. Dual boot with Windows 10 and 7

Dual boot with Windows 10 and 7: When I ordered my new Windows 10 laptop it was ordered with a 1TB SSD, I expected it to be a single 1TB SSD, but it arrived with 2 SSDs, both of which are 500 GB and have different drive letters. The first SSD is the Windows 10 op sys drive with installed apps. The second one...
  10. No Windows Boot Manager on dual boot system (7 & 10)

No Windows Boot Manager on dual boot system (7 & 10): Today I installed Windows 10 on my machine (ASUS N55SF laptop) for the first time on a separate hard drive. Now I have Windows 7 on my main hard drive and Windows 10 on my new drive (the latter being an SSD one). After installing Windows 10, I got a new boot option in my BIOS...