Windows 10: Changing HDD access from IDE to AHCI under a dual boot system (window 7 & Window 10)

Discus and support Changing HDD access from IDE to AHCI under a dual boot system (window 7 & Window 10) in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Please advise how to change HDD access from IDE to AHCI under a dual boot system (c:Window 7 & d:Window 10)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by fatchiu, Sep 9, 2018.

1. fatchiu Win User

Changing HDD access from IDE to AHCI under a dual boot system (window 7 & Window 10)

Please advise how to change HDD access from IDE to AHCI under a dual boot system (c:Window 7 & d:Window 10)

:)

fatchiu, Sep 9, 2018
  2. puma99dk| Win User

Dual Boot Windows question.

here is a guide that should do the trick: How to Dual-Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or 8

Just remember if u want UEFI on Windows 10 u most have UEFI on your Windows 7 too if not u need to go change it in the bios everytime u want to go back to Windows 7.

puma99dk|, Sep 9, 2018
  3. Melvis Win User
    Changing IDE to AHCI Mode

Hi guys, I thought i might put this up for people that also might have missed this setting to get AHCI mode working on your motherboard.

A mate of mine decided to look into it and found a Windows Vista/7 fix so you can enable AHCI mode in your BIOS without the system blue screening, like it does for most computers that are already set on IDE mode.

Now most of you guys might already knows this but I didn't and all my computers where set on IDE mode and when I would change it to AHCI it would just crash when booting so I just thought oh well it don't work and never bothered with it again. But it seems if you set AHCI mode BEFORE installing Windows you wont have this issue, but if you did not set it before then running this Fix will fix your problem *Smile Changing HDD access from IDE to AHCI under a dual boot system (window 7 &  Window 10) :)

Ok run this Fix > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 then go to your BIOS, change your settings from IDE mode to AHCI mode, save and exit, boot into Windows, it will then install all the drivers that you need for this Mode. Once its finished it will ask you to reboot, reboot and your done *Smile Changing HDD access from IDE to AHCI under a dual boot system (window 7 &  Window 10) :)

Made a big difference for me in boot times and file transfer times, everything sped up alot.

*Toast :toast:

Melvis, Sep 9, 2018
  4. Rudy Mas Win User

Changing HDD access from IDE to AHCI under a dual boot system (window 7 & Window 10)

AHCI vs regular Native IDE

If you want to change IDE to AHCI in windows 10, without a clean install, do the following steps:

• Open Command Prompt (Admin)
    • type: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
    • Restart PC and go into you BIOS -> Set IDE to AHCI
    • Windows 10 will start if Safe Mode
    • Open Command Prompt (Admin)
    • type: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
    • Restart and Windows 10 should load with AHCI enabled now

Until now, I had a 100% succes rate with this, but in the case Windows 10 wouldn't start, go back into your BIOS and set AHCI to IDE.

Rudy Mas, Sep 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Changing HDD access from IDE to AHCI under a dual boot system (window 7 & Window 10) - Similar Threads - Changing HDD access

2. Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI: Please I need someone to save me because this is making me go insane. I'm using Windows 10 Pro 21H1I'm no computer expert but recently a friend suggested I buy an SSD and install my SO in it to improve my PC's performance. He works in tech so he helped me set everything up by...
  3. Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI: Please I need someone to save me because this is making me go insane. I'm using Windows 10 Pro 21H1I'm no computer expert but recently a friend suggested I buy an SSD and install my SO in it to improve my PC's performance. He works in tech so he helped me set everything up by...
  4. Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. IDE to AHCI help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    IDE to AHCI help: I have a somewhat dated system with AMD. I finally decided to switch from a mechanical to a SSD(870 EVO). I'm not totally "new" to computers, but there is quite a bit I'm not familiar with. I bought a SSD because I do quite a lot of gaming and what not. HDD seem to slow that...
  6. Change Windows 10 install FROM AHCI to IDE/ATA after installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change Windows 10 install FROM AHCI to IDE/ATA after installation: I need to change an existing Windows 10 Home 64-bit installation startup drive from AHCI to IDE a step backwards, but is needed to accommodate another operating system in a multi-boot environment. I do not wish to install Windows 10 again. I am able to change the motherboard...
  7. Unable to change SATA mode from IDE TO AHCI

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to change SATA mode from IDE TO AHCI: Sorry to bother you all. I am currently trying to change my SATA mode from IDE to AHCI but in my BIOS the option to change it is grayed out. Is there anything I can do to fix this? My Specs are: Packard Bell imedia S1800 PC Ram: 2.0 GB DDR3 SSD: Crucial BX200 Media...
  8. Windows 10 Recovery Boot Loop after switching from AHCI to IDE!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Recovery Boot Loop after switching from AHCI to IDE!: So, for some time I had dual boot with Windows 7 and Windows 10 installed. Recently I changed my motherboard, and it all seemed fine for some time. Windows 10 worked just fine. Then one day, I decided to go back to Windows 7 to do some stuff I couldn't on the new OS. It was...
  9. AHCI and IDE

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AHCI and IDE: Hello, I'm going to put two SSD and one HDD into a desktop. They should arrive from NewEgg today. I know the SSD's need to be AHCI, but looking in the bios I see I can set SATA channels 1 - 4 as AHCI but still have the option of setting 5 & 6 as IDE. Is it best to put the...
  10. AHCI and IDE

in Windows 10 Support
    AHCI and IDE: Hello, I'm going to put two SSD and one HDD into a desktop. They should arrive from NewEgg today. I know the SSD's need to be AHCI, but looking in the bios I see I can set SATA channels 1 - 4 as AHCI but still have the option of setting 5 & 6 as IDE. Is it best to put the...