Windows 10: Changing icons for network mapped folders and shares with no drive letters.

Discus and support Changing icons for network mapped folders and shares with no drive letters. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am looking for how to change the icons for network mapped shared folders from a NAS or Server that don’t have or display drive letters. I am mapping... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Gatorcafe, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Gatorcafe Win User

Changing icons for network mapped folders and shares with no drive letters.

I am looking for how to change the icons for network mapped shared folders from a NAS or Server that don’t have or display drive letters. I am mapping to NAS and Server using Windows 10 Pro.​

:)

Gatorcafe, Sep 20, 2018

2. cannot open files on network shared drive

Is the remote shared folder mapped? Do you have a drive letter assigned to it?
    I'd suggest calling the software developer and asking them.

thebluebumblebee, Sep 20, 2018
  3. Jizzler Win User
    cannot open files on network shared drive

I have used a small handful of applications that just won't open a \\host\share\file.ext

Annoying, but there may be a workaround, try mapping the share to a drive letter:

In Explorer, Tools > Map network drive...

Changing icons for network mapped folders and shares with no drive letters. map-network-drive-1.png

Then choose an unused drive letter, and the shared folder.

Changing icons for network mapped folders and shares with no drive letters. map-network-drive-2097.png

This will work for most programs as it'll see K:\kitchen.kit

Jizzler, Sep 20, 2018
  4. Isha Soni Win User

Cannot add/change drive letter in disk management or map network drive.

Hi,

Thanks for the update on the issue. try these methods and check.

Method 1: I would suggest you to change to the following options for
    both the systems (Main PC and Set-top PC) on the network in the
    advanced sharing settings (OpenNetwork & Sharing Center
    > Change Advanced Sharing settings):

- Turn on Network Discovery

- Turn on file and printer sharing

- Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the public folders

- Turn off password protected sharing

Now, try to map the drive following these steps:

• Press Windows key+E key on the keyboard.
    • Click Computer (above) and click on
      Map network drive from the options given under the address bar.
    • In the Drive box, click the drive letter you want to use.
    • In the Folder box, type
      \\server\share, where you can type the IP address of the drive to be mapped. For example, if the IP address is 192.168.6.xxx, you can type
      \\192.168.6.xxx.
    • Click Finish.

Method 2:

Try to ping the IP address from the Run command. Refer to the following steps:

• Press Windows button and
      R key
    • Type in the IP address of the drive to be mapped, e.g., if the IP address is 192.168.6.xxx, you can type
      \\192.168.6.xxx.
    • Click OK.

Check if you are able to open the network drive.

Method 3:

If the methods do not help, try to rename the
    hosts
    file in the drivers and check if you are able to connect to the network drive.

• Click Windows key and File explorer.
    • Go to the location C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc.
    • Rename the file hosts to
      hosts.old and close the window.
    • Restart your computer.

Hope this information is helpful. If the issue still persists, please post back for further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Thanks & Regards,

Isha Soni, Sep 20, 2018
Thema:

1. Changing icons for network mapped folders and shares with no drive letters. - Similar Threads - Changing icons network

2. Shared folders on network drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shared folders on network drive: I have tried and still cannot delete shared folders on my network drive. I uploaded 4 screen shots. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shared-folders-on-network-drive/d0e3243e-712b-48c9-8c11-76d17b7568d0
  3. Network Share folder vs Mapping drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Share folder vs Mapping drives: Difference between network shared and mapping a drive ? An explanation would be much appreciated https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-share-folder-vs-mapping-drives/bf3c629b-63e9-4a45-bff6-db7e656fd84e
  4. Network Share folder vs Mapping drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Share folder vs Mapping drives: Difference between network shared and mapping a drive ? An explanation would be much appreciated https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-share-folder-vs-mapping-drives/bf3c629b-63e9-4a45-bff6-db7e656fd84e
  5. Network Share folder vs Mapping drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Mapped network drive/ shared folder not accessible after reboot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mapped network drive/ shared folder not accessible after reboot: I have a folder on a file server Windows XP Pro - Logon: USER no logon password which I have shared share permission read/write to ALEX not administrator and added ALEX into the security list. File server IP = 192.168.1.111 I have a desktop Windows 10 Home Logon: USERno...
  7. Maintaining Drive Letters & Network Mappings in Windows Explorer

Maintaining Drive Letters & Network Mappings in Windows Explorer: I have a Surface Pro 7 & want to access the SDXC drive & map a network drive in Windows Explorer. I want the SDXC drive to have the letter E instead of the default, which is D, and I want the network drive to use the letter D. I know how to map a network drive, and I know how...
  8. Drive letters for shared folders and USBs

Drive letters for shared folders and USBs: I have two PCs at home and both of them have 2 hard drives partitions. So, what I want is to share the second storage partition between them. I managed to do that and it works just fine, I assign the shared partition new drive letter on other PC so it appears just like...
  9. Network share folders or mapping to drive - user credentials

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network share folders or mapping to drive - user credentials: Hi, I'm trying to understand how Win10 works with credentials for accessing shared folders. In my case I have a NAS which has a few shared folders. There are two way I can access them, one via network share (i.e. \\mynas\folder1, \\mynas\folder2) or as a network drive (i.e....
  10. Cannot map shared network drive

Cannot map shared network drive: I have just upgraded from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro and have a problem with a shared network drive. Under Win7 and 8.1 I had no difficulty mapping this drive which is attached directly to my access point. However, since upgrade, I can log into the drive using a browser but cannot...