Windows 10: Changing license key on SSD in new PC

Discus and support Changing license key on SSD in new PC in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I recently replaced my SSD on my PC which is running my activated licensed copy of Windows 10 from the old SSD. I gave my son my old SSD for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by AllisonGaulin, May 26, 2019.

1. Changing license key on SSD in new PC

Hello,
    I recently replaced my SSD on my PC which is running my activated licensed copy of Windows 10 from the old SSD. I gave my son my old SSD for his new build so he is temporarily running my copy of Windows. (He is fully aware that he needs his own copy so I want to be clear we are not attempting to run 2 copies permanently.) On his PC , Windows is showing as not activated but my license key is showing on his copy. There is an option to click on "activate license" in the control panel but I am worried that if he uses this option it will activate my windows copy on his pc and I will then lose my activated status. What is the best way for him to purchase and activate his own copy of Windows 10 in this situation?

Thank you for any help you might be able to offer.

:)

AllisonGaulin, May 26, 2019

2. Windows license when transfering ssd from old laptop to new pc

Hi I have windows license OEM in my laptop, I switch the old hhd to new ssd but I think I want to change again my ssd from my laptop to a new system pc. I wonder what happen with the license key since my ssd has already installed with windows 10 OEM license?

LuandreEzra, May 26, 2019
  3. Jguo65 Win User
    Activating Windows 10 with a digital license from a new SSD and new motherboard

Hi,

I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 and my windows settings say I have a digital license. I recently bought a new motherboard and new SSD. I cloned the OS from my old SSD to my new SSD and my PC can boot and I can log in, however it tells me that I need
    to activate windows. I was under the assumption that the digital license I had would follow my account, so when I would log in it would activate windows but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Do I need to deactivate the digital license on the previous motherboard/SSD first before I can reactivate on my new hardware? That is the only other explanation I could think of as to why this isn't working, but I don't want to deactivate my digital license
    on my old hardware only to have this issue persist on my current new hardware. Could I get confirmation? And if so, can I also get steps on how to properly dissociate my digital license from the old hardware before I can use it for my new hardware?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Jguo65, May 26, 2019
  4. Changing license key on SSD in new PC

SSD stops and freezes laptop

Couple of updates:

1. I created a Linux boot USB key, and monitored my SSD under Linux, so this is evidently not a Windows issue, and
    2. I loaded new firmware for the SSD, and my system seems to be functioning normally now. What a pleasure using a PC that doesn't consistently freeze up.

Thanks to all y'all for your suggestions!

Regards,

Dave

DavidMiller36415, May 26, 2019
Thema:

Changing license key on SSD in new PC

1. Changing license key on SSD in new PC - Similar Threads - Changing license key

2. Can I use SSD with OEM license of windows in new pc?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I use SSD with OEM license of windows in new pc?: I have a laptop with an OEM license of windows and I plan on getting a new pc soon. I understand that OEM licenses are not transferable between pcs but if I take the SSD with that copy of windows and install it into the new pc will I be able to boot into windows on that SSD...
  3. Can I use SSD with OEM license of windows in new pc?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I use SSD with OEM license of windows in new pc?: I have a laptop with an OEM license of windows and I plan on getting a new pc soon. I understand that OEM licenses are not transferable between pcs but if I take the SSD with that copy of windows and install it into the new pc will I be able to boot into windows on that SSD...
  4. Can I use SSD with OEM license of windows in new pc?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. New license key while switching pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New license key while switching pc: I am planning to build my own computer and I am using a HP Windows 11 Desktop. Will I need to buy a new windows license when I do eventually build my new one?...
  6. New license key while switching pc

New license key while switching pc: I am planning to build my own computer and I am using a HP Windows 11 Desktop. Will I need to buy a new windows license when I do eventually build my new one?...
  7. Activating new SSD with the old license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activating new SSD with the old license: Hi! I have Windows 11 and i want to switch to a new ssd. I dont want to copy anityng from the old ssd exept the license. A year ago i had win 10 and i upgraded to win 11. My license is : OEM_COA_NSLP channel.Can i copy the license?...
  8. Activating new SSD with the old license

Activating new SSD with the old license: Hi! I have Windows 11 and i want to switch to a new ssd. I dont want to copy anityng from the old ssd exept the license. A year ago i had win 10 and i upgraded to win 11. My license is : OEM_COA_NSLP channel.Can i copy the license?...
  9. Windows 10 license key for a new pc

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 license key for a new pc: Hi guys, i'm building a brand new pc where i'm going to fresh install windows, but i don't know how keys work, is buying them on g2a a good idea? Someone told me about the windows 7 upgrade trick, how does that work, thank you guys submitted by /u/MistaHate4 [link]...
  10. Moving OEM license key for SSD replacement

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving OEM license key for SSD replacement: Hi all, I have an old Dell XPS laptop with what appears to be an OEM Windows 10 key that came bound to the laptop. The laptop itself has a smaller SSD, and I've recently acquired a larger SSD that I'd like to replace the old one with. If possible, I'd like to use a system...