Windows 10: Changing local account username in Windows 10

Discus and support Changing local account username in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi All, I would like to change my local windows account in windows 10 home. but strangely I do not see any option. Dont think it is an advance... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by kromastorm, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Changing local account username in Windows 10

Hi All,

I would like to change my local windows account in windows 10 home. but strangely I do not see any option.

Dont think it is an advance setting for it to be so hard to find.

I am only seeing "sign in to microsoft account" under Account settings.

Please let me know how I can do this.

Thanks

:)

kromastorm, Jul 29, 2020

2. change admin username account

Hi
    vasilisnikolo

Are you logged in with the Microsoft account or a local account?

You can follow the steps below to change the username and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X key.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Under view, select large icons.
    • Go to User Account.
    • Click on Manage another account.
    • Select the User Account for which you want to select the password.
    • Click on Change the username.
    • Click on Change Name button.
    Hope this information is helpful.

SujataMoktan, Jul 29, 2020
  3. MathewH Win User
    change local account username associated with a microsoft account?

My first name is "Mathew".

On all my windows 10 devices, I prefer to login using my microsoft account. (*** Email address is removed for privacy ***)

On all of these devices, the default local user name is always "mathe", missing the "w".

My home directory is "C:\Users\mathe"

This is really annoying!

I have gone through the insane steps to change this username and home directory on two of my three personal desktops/laptops, but how can I make it so the next new computer I log into uses "mathew" instead of "mathe" for the local account name?

I just reset my Hololens and found it added "mathe" here, as well.

I do not know the correct terminology to find this answer in forums. I've tried:

Change default local username for microsoft account

Change name of roaming profile

and variations on those themes.

MathewH, Jul 29, 2020
  4. Changing local account username in Windows 10

How to change the Windows 10 truncated local account username without losing all the associated account information?

When Windows 10 creates the local user, it uses the first 5 characters of the Microsoft Account's email address.

It also uses it to name the directory where the users information is kept.

If the Microsoft Account email address is myusername@gmail.com ...

then the local account username will be myuse

and the directory path will be ...

C:\users\myuse

This is bad for many reasons we can discuss later.

The problem is that there is no one at Microsoft Support that understands the issue.

There are hundreds of posts here and elsewhere on the net about this.

Below I pasted one suggestion from a Microsoft Support Engineer.

It is wrong.

One can only "Change the account type" in Control Panel using this method.

It cannot "rename the local user account."

Even if you create another administrator user the option to Change the account name

is not available if that user has a Microsoft Account.

So my question: is there a way to correctly change the truncated local username from myuse to myusername without
    losing all the associated Microsoft Account information?

I have seen many convoluted solutions on the net.

Please... NO guessing and NO "point-and-click-and-pray" solutions.

Just an honest discussion from Microsoft or the community.

Thank you,

Robert Lorbeer

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Parth P Patel replied on

Hi,

Thank you for showing your interest in Windows 10.

I understand that you want to rename the local user account. I will certainly help you with this. I suggest you to try the below given steps to rename the local account name and check if it helps:

• Press Windows key + X key.
    • Click on Control Panel and search and click to User Account.
    • Click on Manage another account.
    • Select the User Account which you want to rename.
    • Click on Change the account name and provide desired name.

RobertLorbeer, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

Changing local account username in Windows 10

1. Changing local account username in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Changing local account

2. Change username for microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change username for microsoft account: Hi There,Is it possible to fix my username under my Microsoft account?Whenever I log into a new laptop/computer using my email/Microsoft account my username is incorrect:C:\Users\boran - it should be C:\Users\borange>How do I fix this?...
  3. Chaning local username not a local account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Chaning local username not a local account: I do not know how to change my local username on Windows 10. I tried control panel and that's about it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chaning-local-username-not-a-local-account/acd5bc50-a857-405a-90b2-37c2ae293185
  4. Change account username for Windows 10

Change account username for Windows 10: I have the only account on my PC. It is a Microsoft account, not a local account, with BitLocker enabled. I have discovered that my username in file explorer and in file paths are the first five letters of my email address linked to my Microsoft account. I want to change...
  5. Local Windows Username

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Local Windows Username: In the C:/User/%user% on my computer my name's last letter is cut off. How do I go about fixing such? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-windows-username/ed985e8a-5636-4304-95bc-00241772c6d0
  6. How to change the Windows 10 truncated local account username?

How to change the Windows 10 truncated local account username?: This is change is vital. I have over 200 links in onenote to my old user name. 3 years work !!!! I had to recover my computer and now none of those links work. I have tried creating a local user, but it is not showing up as an alternate user. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE...
  7. How to change the Windows 10 truncated local account username without losing all the...

How to change the Windows 10 truncated local account username without losing all the...: It has been asked before, but I'm asking again. My name is Stephen, a male name in the UK, Microsoft, without consent, changed my name to Steph, a femal name three years ago when I first had the misfortune to encounter Windows 10. I just bought a new PC, and thought this...
  8. Changing the Windows 10 truncated local account username

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing the Windows 10 truncated local account username: This has been discussed before, however, for some strange reason it was closed before a solution was posted. After the Windows 7 May security update, my system bit the dust. So, I purchase a copy of Windows 10, USB version from Amazon. ISSUE: Windows 10, version 1809...
  9. change local account username associated with a microsoft account?

change local account username associated with a microsoft account?: My first name is "Mathew". On all my windows 10 devices, I prefer to login using my microsoft account. (*** Email address is removed for privacy ***) On all of these devices, the default local user name is always "mathe", missing the "w". My home directory is...
  10. Windows 10 changed my username on Local Disk

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 changed my username on Local Disk: I'm not sure how to phrase it, but on previous editions of Windows. My username would be my actual name. When I went to the User folder on my local disc, the user folder said EchoX which is my Microsoft email. How can I change it back to Joshua 16991