Windows 10: Changing Local disk C to another Hard drive

Discus and support Changing Local disk C to another Hard drive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I accidentally selected my SSD that I wanted to have for boot purposes as the Local Disk C and want to change the Local Disk C to a HDD I also have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/KingAlain_, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Changing Local disk C to another Hard drive

So I accidentally selected my SSD that I wanted to have for boot purposes as the Local Disk C and want to change the Local Disk C to a HDD I also have installed. How would I achieve this? Thanks for the help in advance!

submitted by /u/KingAlain_
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/KingAlain_, Jul 25, 2020

2. External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

As you have mentioned that the external hard drive is showing as local disk drive instead of a USB drive, it is because the file format for the external hard drive is same as the internal hard drive and that’s why it is showing
    up as a local disk drive and not a USB drive.

Also, since you are facing issues while changing the drive letter of the drive, for further clarity on the issue and to guide you accordingly, respond to the questions listed below:

1. What is the make and model of the hard drive?
    2. Were you able to save or create a file on the hard drive previously?
    3. What happens when you try to copy and paste the data from the hard drive?
    4. What was the result of check disk performed on the drive?

Since you are receiving the access denied error, I would suggest you to check if the user has appropriate permissions to read/write data on the external hard drive. Refer the article

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows
    , refer the section
    I cannot access, change, save, or delete files and folders.

Note:
    The above article applies to Windows 10 also.

Please get back to us with the above information to assist you further with the issue.

We await your response.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jul 25, 2020
  3. Shannon28 Win User
    changing my (C) drive to another installed disk without removing old disk

My main SSD (C) drive is full so I installed another SSD and cloned my old drive to my new drive but I can not figure out how to make the new SSD my Boot drive (C) drive. All searching has pointed to BIOS but I am not seeing my drives in the boot priorities
    list, just 2 UEIFs and some other options. Where can I locate the Hard Disk Drive BBS Priorities?

Shannon28, Jul 25, 2020
  4. Changing Local disk C to another Hard drive

Changing the drive that my Local Disk (CChanging Local disk C to another Hard drive :) is on. Or uninstalling windows to reinstall to the correct drive.

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely help you with this.

As I can see from the above screenshot you have 1.8 GB of space Unallocated. I suggest you to extend the shrink volume back to C: drive by following the below steps.

• Go to disk management, press Windows key + R and type
      diskmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    • From this page right click on C: drive
      and click on Extend Volume.
    • Follow the onscreen instructions by selecting unallocated space.

Now you will get total amount of space in C: drive.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Jul 25, 2020
Thema:

Changing Local disk C to another Hard drive

1. Changing Local disk C to another Hard drive - Similar Threads - Changing Local disk

2. How to move folder from C:\ local disk to different hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move folder from C:\ local disk to different hard drive?: the common way to move a file on pc which has the "move" "location" property doesn't show on my end. I need an alternative way to move it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-folder-from-c-local-disk-to-different/937f674e-007d-44d0-9956-26a045122841
  3. How to move folder from C:\ local disk to different hard drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to move folder from C:\ local disk to different hard drive?: the common way to move a file on pc which has the "move" "location" property doesn't show on my end. I need an alternative way to move it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-folder-from-c-local-disk-to-different/937f674e-007d-44d0-9956-26a045122841
  4. How to move folder from C:\ local disk to different hard drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Local Disk C

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local Disk C: So I downloaded Yuzu yesterday and was trying to play a game. It ended up not working so I went to delete the application. It turns out I accidently used 100 gigabytes. It was because I kept downloading the same game 9 times onto the Yuzu emulator. I deleted Yuzu and the...
  6. Local Disk C

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Local Disk C: So I downloaded Yuzu yesterday and was trying to play a game. It ended up not working so I went to delete the application. It turns out I accidently used 100 gigabytes. It was because I kept downloading the same game 9 times onto the Yuzu emulator. I deleted Yuzu and the...
  7. Local Disk C

Local Disk C: I could not extend my Local Disk C https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-disk-c/3fdefca0-8100-44ef-824d-0564cef61e92
  8. local disk C

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    local disk C: Hi, After reinstalled Windows 10 in the desktop, the Local Disk C: goes to the SSD 32GB. It is full as only 29 GB. At the same time, there is a Windows F: appears in the HHD 2TB with 1.8TB volume, mainly empty files. Due to no volume in the Local Disk C, I cannot...
  9. C drive shortcut created on another hard disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C drive shortcut created on another hard disk: Hi From yesterday i noticed that a C drive Primary disk drive shortcut is automatically created on my D drive where i stored my album and video files.On openning i saw same contents as original C drive.What is this? Can i delete it? i ran a virus scan with kaspersky and it...
  10. External hard drives saying local disk

External hard drives saying local disk: Hello. I brought a 4 bay external harddrive enclosure and have it hooked up to my laptop ( I will get a computer one day) The issue I have is this. Bay 2 3 and 4 no issues. I have 5 external harddrives. 2 x 2tb 2 x 1 tb a nd 1x 4tb 4 of these drives I wish to keep...