Windows 10: Changing motherboard and Windows Spaces

Discus and support Changing motherboard and Windows Spaces in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have s small media server style computer setup, with Windows 10 Pro setup on a SSD and 2 x 2Tb drives setup up in different Windows Spaces (raid)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/SeniorWrangler07, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Changing motherboard and Windows Spaces

I have s small media server style computer setup, with Windows 10 Pro setup on a SSD and 2 x 2Tb drives setup up in different Windows Spaces (raid) configurations.

For reasons, I need to change out the motherboard/CPU/RAM for a different set. I was going to use the method of attaching the licence to my Microsoft account, changing out the hardware, then reactivating the licence again, as explained on Window's site. Normally I would re-install Windows with such a large hardware change (mobo), but the config of Windows took quite a while to setup and I won't have a lot of time (or energy) in the near future to go through it again. I'm hoping (as i've read online) that the OS will accept the new hardware and do it's thing with drivers.

Would this work? Would it keep my Spaces config? I understand i'm taking a risk with just changing out the mobo, but is there anything that could cause a serious issue here?

submitted by /u/SeniorWrangler07
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/SeniorWrangler07, Nov 7, 2019

2. Windows 10 and upgrading motherboard

Hi,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    Let us follow the steps suggested by Andre Da Costa (replied
    on July 26, 2015) in the following thread:

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows, we are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Nov 7, 2019
  3. Juzar_Ali Win User
    Windows 10 License (after motherboard change)

Hi Harsh,

Please be informed that your copy of Windows 10 should get activated automatically after changing the motherboard (once you enter the linked Microsoft Account details). But if you face any issues,
    I suggest you to go through Phone activation to activate your Windows 10 copy.

To run Phone activation please follow the steps below:

• Press Windows + R key.

• Type slui 4 and hit enter.

• Select the Country or
      Region.

• Follow the on screen instructions.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have any further related query.

Thank you.

Juzar_Ali, Nov 7, 2019
  4. Sasqui Win User

Changing motherboard and Windows Spaces

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Nov 7, 2019
Thema:

Changing motherboard and Windows Spaces

1. Changing motherboard and Windows Spaces - Similar Threads - Changing motherboard Spaces

2. Changing Motherboards

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing Motherboards: So if Microsoft knows we have a copy of Windows why then do they deactivate it for updating equipment...just to add to the cost of what we just upgraded, you can't change the time, and the sound setting or anything but it says hey you have Windows 11...just not activate....
  3. change motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change motherboard: change motherboard problems https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-motherboard/c6825af6-7ac3-44ab-b831-4ae71e5451d9
  4. Motherboard Change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Motherboard Change: I am changing the motherboard but not the CPU I hope. I understand I will have to re-install Windows 10 but I don't have a copy. It is on the hard drive. I have the Product Key. What will I need to do?...
  5. Motherboard Change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Motherboard Change: I am changing the motherboard but not the CPU I hope. I understand I will have to re-install Windows 10 but I don't have a copy. It is on the hard drive. I have the Product Key. What will I need to do?...
  6. Motherboard Change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Motherboard Change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Motherboard Change: Hello,I have been wanting to upgrade my motherboard for quite sometime because it is a B365 and can only support 8th and 9th gen intel CPU's. I decided that now would be a good time to upgrade. I understand that I would need to unplug and take out everything from the...
  8. Changing motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Changing motherboard: I'm about to change my motherboard and CPU but many people said that my windows license will be gone if I try to change my motherboard https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-motherboard/c699efd7-90c8-497d-b522-9ed8c44a05c1
  9. Change of motherboard

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change of motherboard: Hi everybody Can somebody please help, i am shortly going to install a new motherboard and cpu in my pc and i am worried about reinstalling windows on my ssd drive, my original installation was windows 7 retail and i got the free upgrade, my present installation is linked to...
  10. MotherBoard Change

in Windows 10 Customization
    MotherBoard Change: So my computer got super glitchy and I had it fixed but now for acttivation it says to retry later and when I press troubleshoot it says nothing please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/motherboard-change/4acbc94f-a9a9-4fbd-85b2-825fe6bdea70