Windows 10: Changing Motherboard But Hoping to Avoid Having to Repeat All the Win10 Upgrades A Second Time

Discus and support Changing Motherboard But Hoping to Avoid Having to Repeat All the Win10 Upgrades A Second Time in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Just over a year ago I built another PC for my home and purchased another licensed copy of Win10 x64 for that machine. Now I am replacing the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ScottClark, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Changing Motherboard But Hoping to Avoid Having to Repeat All the Win10 Upgrades A Second Time

Just over a year ago I built another PC for my home and purchased another licensed copy of Win10 x64 for that machine. Now I am replacing the motherboard and CPU on that machine and plan to do a clean Win10 install using my licensed copy of Win10 I also realize I will need to speak to Microsoft in the process because I will have had a hardware modification.

However, will my re-install process allow me to install the latest version of Win10, as opposed to installing the older version on my license disk and then also needing to install all the upgrades since then?

:)

ScottClark, Feb 4, 2020
  2. bobkn Win User

Win10 motherboard change activation saga

I recently changed the motherboard and CPU in my primary system. It was running Win10 Pro X64, upgraded from Win8.1 . That was an upgrade from Win 8, which was an upgrade from Win7, which was... you get the idea. The ancestral OS was retail. The most recent license I had purchased was the Win8 upgrade, from January of 2013.

The old MB was an Intel X99 one. The new, AMD x470. After Win10 detected the change and installed some different drivers, it ran normally. It didn't activate online. However, when I changed the key to the Win8 upgrade one, it activated OK.

The motherboard turned out to be defective. The RAM slots A1 and A2 weren't working properly. So, I returned it, and replaced it with a different X470 MB.

That swap went fine also. However, nothing I could do would permit it to activate online.

I called MS activation support. After they led me through a number of steps (all of which I'd tried previously), I was referred to another level of support. I went through that a couple of times. The first time, the support person suggested that I re-install Windows 8 and upgrade that to 10. I managed to avoid screaming obscenities at the man, but it was a near thing. On the second try, I got a tech who asked to be allowed to remotely log into to the system. I agreed. He tried a number of things, none of which worked.

He finally took a screen capture of the invoice for the new MB, which I purchased online a few days ago. His boss permitted him the generate a new Win10 key for me. That worked. I don't know whether the key is equivalent to a full retail license, but I hadn't expect to be given any sort of new key.

The short version: if you swap motherboards, and have a Win10 installation with retail origins (not OEM), I expect that Microsoft will support re-activating Windows on the new hardware. If you have to deal with humans, you may encounter some who offer nonsense solutions. Persevere, and you may eventually find a support person who is both considerate and competent. (Thanks, Kamalesh.)

bobkn, Feb 4, 2020
  3. Windows 10 and upgrading motherboard

Hi,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    Let us follow the steps suggested by Andre Da Costa (replied
    on July 26, 2015) in the following thread:

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows, we are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Feb 4, 2020
  4. Changing Motherboard But Hoping to Avoid Having to Repeat All the Win10 Upgrades A Second Time

Time Change with cmd

Hello Hasan,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are trying to change the time. We will help you.

In the Date and Time Settings dialog box, do one or more of the following:

• To change the hour, double-click the hour, and then click the arrows to increase or decrease the value.

• To change the minutes, double-click the minutes, and then click the arrows to increase or decrease the value.

• To change the seconds, double-click the seconds, and then click the arrows to increase or decrease the value.

• When you have finished changing the time settings, click OK.

• To change the time zone, click Change time zone.

• In the Time Zone Settings dialog box, click your current time zone in the drop-down list, and then click
      OK.
    Also I suggest you to check the below steps to change the time using the command prompt.

• Right click on Start and select the
      Command prompt (Admin).
    • Type the word "time". Type a space, and enter the new time in the following format:
    • HH:MM:SS AM/PM. For example, time 5:34:00 PM, time 12:15:00 AM, etc.
    • Press enter or return.
    Hope it helps. Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Feb 4, 2020
Thema:

Changing Motherboard But Hoping to Avoid Having to Repeat All the Win10 Upgrades A Second Time

1. Changing Motherboard But Hoping to Avoid Having to Repeat All the Win10 Upgrades A Second Time - Similar Threads - Changing Motherboard Hoping

2. How to put ALL windows in LIST mode in Win10 without having to repeat the procedure 20 times...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to put ALL windows in LIST mode in Win10 without having to repeat the procedure 20 times...: The title says it all, is there a way to put all windows/folders in LIST mode, regardless of what type of content they have including SEARCH, RECYCLE BIN, DESKTOP, NETWORK, etc?...
  3. How to put ALL windows in LIST mode in Win10 without having to repeat the procedure 20 times...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to put ALL windows in LIST mode in Win10 without having to repeat the procedure 20 times...: The title says it all, is there a way to put all windows/folders in LIST mode, regardless of what type of content they have including SEARCH, RECYCLE BIN, DESKTOP, NETWORK, etc?...
  4. How to put ALL windows in LIST mode in Win10 without having to repeat the procedure 20 times...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Motherboard changed 3 times

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Motherboard changed 3 times: Hello, i have a dell laptop and it stopped booting a few months ago. Since then dell has changed the motherboard 3 times and eveytime that they change it it works for only a few days and again it stops booting. Dell technistians and custoemr service is full of ignorant...
  6. Avoiding 2004 upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Avoiding 2004 upgrade: I've upgraded several of my machines to 2004. Unfortunately that's killing my 15 yo canon inkjet. It's still working great as a printer but the scanner doesn't work as soon as I upgrade. Perhaps understandable and I'd buy a new one except that I've got a ton of ink and the...
  7. Change all 17 cursors at once, without having to repeat something 17 times.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change all 17 cursors at once, without having to repeat something 17 times.: So I have this custom cursor, but I don't want to install it manually. The way I know of is to click each row and select "browse". So I would click "Normal Select", then click "Browse", then select the file. But then there are 16 additional rows, and I have to repeat the...
  8. Motherboard Change - Win10 Activation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Motherboard Change - Win10 Activation: Hello! I have a small issue with activating Windows 10 Home Edition. I had an ASUS prebuild desktop (M32BF) that I fried the motherboard of (long story) so I had to replace it. The GPU, CPU, SSD, RAM (+1 new one), HDD are all the same. I tried the troubleshooter, selected...
  9. Win10 motherboard change activation saga

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win10 motherboard change activation saga: I recently changed the motherboard and CPU in my primary system. It was running Win10 Pro X64, upgraded from Win8.1 . That was an upgrade from Win 8, which was an upgrade from Win7, which was... you get the idea. The ancestral OS was retail. The most recent license I had...
  10. Time: Upgrade to Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Time: Upgrade to Win10: How long generally does it take to upgrade to Win10 from Win7. Does it depend on HD & Processor? I have an SSD and AMD Triple core 3.10GHz. Win7 is pretty new clean install about 1&1/2 weeks old. 40961