Windows 10: Changing Motherboard - Does This Require a Reinstall for Win 10 Pro?

Discus and support Changing Motherboard - Does This Require a Reinstall for Win 10 Pro? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I am looking to change my motherboard due to some issues. It is currently an Intel LGA 1150 based board built by MSI. I am running Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Flogger23m, May 23, 2017.

1. Changing Motherboard - Does This Require a Reinstall for Win 10 Pro?

Hello,

I am looking to change my motherboard due to some issues. It is currently an Intel LGA 1150 based board built by MSI. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64bit. I obtained this OS via the free upgrade last summer and did a clean install via the Windows 10 installer/downloader. The product key I had used was from a Windows 8 Pro OEM copy I had purchased previously.

I am planning on replacing the board with an AM4 based system, and I am not too sure what manufacture it will be - MSI, ASrock, Gigabyte or ASUS yet. My questions are the following:

1) Can I uninstall motherboard drivers, shut down the PC, perform the hardware swap, boot up PC and download new motherboard drivers without reinstalling Windows 10 Pro? Any precautions to take, or a detailed process to ensure this goes as smoothly as possible?

2) Reactivating Windows 10. Obviously the motherboard will require a re-activation process. I am wondering if this is possible since I obtained Windows 10 Pro via the free upgrade program. During install I entered my old Windows 8 product key; I am wondering if I will need to use this key again when re-activating?

3) Assuming the two above are possible, is there any reason to continue using MSI motherboards? Is going to an MSI motherboard to an ASrock motherboard more likely to cause an issue necessitating Windows re-install than buying another MSI board?

Do note that I will be making a back up of important data and will likely be making an image of my OS drive beforehand in the event of problems. But any advice is appreciated.

:)

Flogger23m, May 23, 2017

2. If I change my motherboard, will my windows 10 license still be active?

I am afraid that I have windows 10, which is upgraded from OEM installed win 8.1.

So, there is no option to switch to windows 10, if I change my motherboard, or is there any?

Like, if my HDD is having active win 10 that is upgraded from win 8.1, and I change my motherboard, does the updated windows 10 on my HDD have a capability to communicate with new motherboard?

Regards,

Bala

Balamurugan L, May 23, 2017
  3. Error while trying to play FIFA 08

Hey, I have bought new computer:

AMD 8300

Nvidia GeForce GT 1030

8 GB ram

Motherboard from Gigabyte

Win 10

And when I try to open it this shows:

"FIFA 08 Requires Hardware graphics acceleration"

How i can turn it on (this game)?

I already tried:

- reinstaling drivers

- reinstaling DirectX

- updating both of them

- changing settings in driver

- switching on as administrator, and with Win 7 compatiblity

Thanks for help!

AleksanderKarch, May 23, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

Changing Motherboard - Does This Require a Reinstall for Win 10 Pro?

zbook, May 23, 2017
  5. Thank you for the reply. So essentially I need to make a Microsoft account which seems fairly simple. That covers the activation issue part of the question. How about swapping motherboards without reinstalling the OS?

And after the hardware change, I'd like to go back to using a local account. Do these steps still work for removing the Microsoft account in current builds, and will the OS stay activated once the Microsoft Account is removed? :
    How to close and permanently delete your Microsoft account | Windows Central

Flogger23m, May 23, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I've moved Windows 10 from computer to computer with no driver problems with the hardware change. All of the computers in question already had digital licenses for Windows 10 so they just activated themselves. You will have to use a Microsoft Account and the activation troubleshooter to transfer the license.

Once you have Windows 10 activated with a digital license, you can switch the user account back to a local account and it will stay activated.

NavyLCDR, May 23, 2017
  7. Thanks for the reply. Should I uninstall any possible motherboard drivers beforehand, or will Win 10 uninstall and reinstall the new drivers on its own?

Flogger23m, May 24, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

hi
    Well it will probably work but no 100% guarantee. If it was me I would clone old drive to a new one, and try it first. Personally if I had a new pc or mobo, I would not use an old drive with it.

cereberus, May 24, 2017
  9. zbook New Member
    In this link they recommend uninstalling all drivers related to the motherboard (sound, usb etc) before switching motherboard to reduce or eliminate any potential driver conflicts: Change Motherboard Without Fresh Install of Windows; Britec) Change Motherboard Without Fresh Install of Windows - YouTube

zbook, May 24, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    I did not uninstall anything first. I built my desktop computer, and had my old desktop computer left over. The hard drive from my father-in-laws computer got moved from his desktop to my old desktop because it was an upgrade. That went fine. Then my daughter's laptop needed to be sent in for repair. I took her SSD, moved it to a spare laptop - completely different make, model and hardware. That move went just fine. Then when her laptop came back from repair, that same SSD was then moved back. All with no problems at all.

NavyLCDR, May 24, 2017
  11. Thanks for the reply. Seems like Windows 10 will, for the most part, not have any problems. I'll still do the image as a precaution. Thanks for the insight!

Flogger23m, May 24, 2017
  12. kamalaggi Win User
    If your Windows license is oem then a motherboard change would require a new license as the oem version of Windows is tied to the motherboard.

kamalaggi, May 25, 2017
  13. AddRAM Win User

You would think so, but that`s just not the case with W10 and a Microsoft account.

If it were me, with a new board, I would do a clean install.

AddRAM, May 25, 2017
  14. CmmTch Win User
    I replaced the MB and had a problem activating, it ended up being pretty easy to resolve the activation problem. This is post #6 in this topic Replacing Motherboard Questions Solved - Windows 10 Forums

The bolded text was the solution for me. You may be ok, but this is something to try if you have to.

CmmTch, May 25, 2017
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    AddRAM is correct regarding activation. MS doesn't seem to care much more about an OEM license kept tied to a single motherboard.

NavyLCDR, May 25, 2017
Thema:

1. Changing Motherboard - Does This Require a Reinstall for Win 10 Pro? - Similar Threads - Changing Motherboard Does

2. Windows 10 Pro Key does not work after Motherboard change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Pro Key does not work after Motherboard change: I recently changed the motherboard on my Pc and when trying to activate Windows, it would recognize the hardware change, but the troubleshooter just kept saying try again later. After a couple of days I started searching for other solutions and followed instructions to...
  3. Problem with reactivation of Win 10 Pro after motherboard change.

Problem with reactivation of Win 10 Pro after motherboard change.: The short version is: I upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro from online free upgrade years ago. I don't have a product key. I just changed motherboards old one died and tried to reactivate windows via the Troubleshooter/Hardware change. It asks me for my Microsoft password,...
  4. Problem with reactivation of Win 10 Pro after motherboard change.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with reactivation of Win 10 Pro after motherboard change.: The short version is: I upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro from online free upgrade years ago. I don't have a product key. I just changed motherboards old one died and tried to reactivate windows via the Troubleshooter/Hardware change. It asks me for my Microsoft password,...
  5. Problem with reactivation of Win 10 Pro after motherboard change.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Reinstalling Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstalling Win 10 Pro: My C Drive is corrupted. I have my original Win 10 Pro stick and Key card can I just reinstall it or can I install it on a new HD- preferred?I have tried doing a reinstall through System Restore but it only get part way and say it is unable to do so as something is stopping...
  7. Reinstalling Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstalling Win 10 Pro: My C Drive is corrupted. I have my original Win 10 Pro stick and Key card can I just reinstall it or can I install it on a new HD- preferred?I have tried doing a reinstall through System Restore but it only get part way and say it is unable to do so as something is stopping...
  8. Reinstalling Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. reinstall win 10 pro

reinstall win 10 pro: Hello i have 2 pc's with win 10 pro installed from previous windows editions. The first PC had win 7 pro and i moved to win 10 pro through and update at 2014, the second had win 8.1 pro and i updated to win 10 pro same way at 2014 again. now that i need to add a new hard disk...
  10. win 10 pro will not activate after motherboard change

win 10 pro will not activate after motherboard change: win 10 pro will not activate after motherboard change, I had it linked to my microsoft account before the change, it has a digital licence as it was an upgrade from 8.1...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. changing asus motherboard to msi motherboard on win10