Windows 10: Changing Motherboard - Windows Key

Discus and support Changing Motherboard - Windows Key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So I have an old Lenovo H430 that came with windows 8 and I upgraded to windows 10. Over time, I upgraded everything on the computer, lastly with a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by James1234_720, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Changing Motherboard - Windows Key

So I have an old Lenovo H430 that came with windows 8 and I upgraded to windows 10. Over time, I upgraded everything on the computer, lastly with a new motherboard/ram/case. Now there is basically nothing left of the Lenovo. Is there any way to move the windows key over from the Lenovo to my new motherboard? The key with Lenovo was a digital license so I don't have the product key. I can't easily get it since the Lenovo is no longer a functioning computer. Microsoft support is telling me you cannot do this but I have seen many people upgrade computers and retain their license. What do I need to do? Thanks!

:)

James1234_720, Apr 10, 2020
  2. Juzar_Ali Win User

Windows 10 License (after motherboard change)

Hi Harsh,

Please be informed that your copy of Windows 10 should get activated automatically after changing the motherboard (once you enter the linked Microsoft Account details). But if you face any issues,
    I suggest you to go through Phone activation to activate your Windows 10 copy.

To run Phone activation please follow the steps below:

• Press Windows + R key.

• Type slui 4 and hit enter.

• Select the Country or
      Region.

• Follow the on screen instructions.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have any further related query.

Thank you.

Juzar_Ali, Apr 10, 2020
  3. Activate Windows 10 after motherboard change

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I built the PC myself and it is\was a retail Windows 8 Pro license upgraded to 10.

The guide listed that I should be able to transfer the license, and following the steps given when selecting "I recently changed hardware" in the activation process it does not list my previous device to select from.

My Microsoft account is logged in on both my old and new motherboard, and my old motherboard is unable to boot at all to deactivate or retrieve any keys.

If my license is indeed available for transfer, how can I proceed from here?

Thanks.

Libertherme, Apr 10, 2020
  4. Changing Motherboard - Windows Key

Windows 10 and upgrading motherboard

Hi,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    Let us follow the steps suggested by Andre Da Costa (replied
    on July 26, 2015) in the following thread:

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows, we are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Apr 10, 2020
Thema:

Changing Motherboard - Windows Key

1. Changing Motherboard - Windows Key - Similar Threads - Changing Motherboard Key

2. Use oem key on new motherboard, but change motherboard.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Use oem key on new motherboard, but change motherboard.: I build a pc by my self and buy a oem key on the new motherboard, but that motherboard have problem. I send it to the Asus suppord to fix it, but they change my motherboard to different one and I ask them how to fix this problem. They sak me did I ask the micrsoft suppord...
  3. Use oem key on new motherboard, but change motherboard.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Use oem key on new motherboard, but change motherboard.: I build a pc by my self and buy a oem key on the new motherboard, but that motherboard have problem. I send it to the Asus suppord to fix it, but they change my motherboard to different one and I ask them how to fix this problem. They sak me did I ask the micrsoft suppord...
  4. Use oem key on new motherboard, but change motherboard.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to get windows key after motherboard change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get windows key after motherboard change: Ive looked up the solution for this and none of the options seemed to work.I have a windows 10 pro key but when I try and put it in, I get the response, "We can't activate Windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital license or product key." I know this key...
  6. How to get windows key after motherboard change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to get windows key after motherboard change: Ive looked up the solution for this and none of the options seemed to work.I have a windows 10 pro key but when I try and put it in, I get the response, "We can't activate Windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital license or product key." I know this key...
  7. How to get windows key after motherboard change

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Lost Windows 10 Key. Motherboard changed.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Lost Windows 10 Key. Motherboard changed.: I changed out my mother board in my PC during the summer. I lost my Key in the process of doing so. I've slowly been working on how to get it back and I've resulted in coming here as my last resort. I really don't want to pay the money for a key when I literally already...
  9. After motherboard and CPU change Windows key disappeared?

After motherboard and CPU change Windows key disappeared?: Hi there after I changed my mainboard and CPU today Windows says that I did not activate windows is there a solution? Nach Mainboard und CPU Wechsel Windows key verschwunden?
  10. Dell motherboard changed, lost windows Key

Dell motherboard changed, lost windows Key: I changed the motherboard of my Dell XPS system. Now I no longer have my windows key. I need a new key to keep my old machine going. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dell-motherboard-changed-lost-windows-key/71b5d154-e6d9-42c5-b50a-c4e2ed5392a3"