Windows 10: Changing Motherboards with OEM Windows

Discus and support Changing Motherboards with OEM Windows in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Due to physical incompatibility with my GPU It's too thick and the fans hit the header cables I need to change out my motherboard. Unfortunately, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by GiantPickle, May 19, 2021.

1. Changing Motherboards with OEM Windows

Due to physical incompatibility with my GPU It's too thick and the fans hit the header cables I need to change out my motherboard. Unfortunately, I recieved an OEM copy of Windows as a Christmas gift, and so I'm not sure if I can change motherboard models without buying a new edition of Windows. Currently I have an Asrock B450M Pro 4 HDV R4.0, and I'm changing to an MSI B450M Bazooka WiFi board.

:)

GiantPickle, May 19, 2021

2. How to activate Windows 10 OEM version after changing Motherboard?

I think your first step might be to try to determine what kind of license you have.

There are educational license, that probably would behave more like the volume licenses in the sense that you would have to get the university to issue you another license. Or it might be like you think and is an OEM license that might not transfer.

The "current" standard answer for OEM licenses, is that they die with the motherboard dying.

And in fact for a Retail license the answer would be to install that first on the new motherboard and do the upgrade to Windows 10 again.

Now I will mention that in there is currently an Insider build where Microsoft is testing more ways to activate. As in using the product key of the old version of Windows or in the case of machines that have the OEM key embedded in them, use the OEM key
    to activate. But it might be months before that is release to the public.

And depending on where the manufactures store that OEM key I suppose it might be possible you changing out the motherboard would in fact remove it. In other words say the original motherboard is from Dell and has a OEM key in it, but you buy a generic motherboard,
    then it wouldn't have an OEM key on it.

There is conflicting reports on here if a call to Microsoft will get them to activate or not. Most of them seem to say that Microsoft wouldn't do it for them.

As for your two possible paths. There is no way to pay to change an OEM license to Retail license.

Now on just buying a license in general.

If you are purchasing a motherboard you have the right to buy an OEM license, which is cheaper than the Retail license. But with that you are doing the same thing, and most likely locking your license to that motherboard.

Another possible path is just to buy say Window 8 or 7 license, and then upgrade that to Windows 10.

Also you should check with your university to see if they have some kind of deal.

A_User_Here, May 19, 2021
  3. Changed OEM motherboard from AMD to Intel, will not boot

As it pertains to OEM Windows 10, changing motherboards will invalidate the license and require purchase of a new license.

If you plan on changing your motherboard or critical components, you should purchase a full version retail Windows 10 license to retain transfer rights when needed.

Buy Windows 10 Home/Pro

After making your purchase, download, create a bootable copy, then perform a custom install on the existing drive attached to the Intel motherboard.

Step 1: How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2: How to: Perform a custom installation of Windows

Andre Da Costa, May 19, 2021
  4. Changing Motherboards with OEM Windows

upgrade to windows 10 home oem version

Based on how OEM licensing works, changing the motherboard invalidates the licensing. Recent communications suggest that Microsoft might be forgiving to such circumstance, so you could reinstall Windows 10 Home, then use chat support to reactivate:

Andre Da Costa, May 19, 2021
Thema:

Changing Motherboards with OEM Windows

1. Changing Motherboards with OEM Windows - Similar Threads - Changing Motherboards OEM

2. Use oem key on new motherboard, but change motherboard.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Use oem key on new motherboard, but change motherboard.: I build a pc by my self and buy a oem key on the new motherboard, but that motherboard have problem. I send it to the Asus suppord to fix it, but they change my motherboard to different one and I ask them how to fix this problem. They sak me did I ask the micrsoft suppord...
  3. Use oem key on new motherboard, but change motherboard.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Use oem key on new motherboard, but change motherboard.: I build a pc by my self and buy a oem key on the new motherboard, but that motherboard have problem. I send it to the Asus suppord to fix it, but they change my motherboard to different one and I ask them how to fix this problem. They sak me did I ask the micrsoft suppord...
  4. Use oem key on new motherboard, but change motherboard.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Oem windows on replaced motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Oem windows on replaced motherboard: Hi, so i have a dell xps 15 9560 whose motherboard is on the verge of dying, the graphics card fried year ago but it was still running through the onboard intel graphics somehow, and it is now too about to die off. My question is that if i get the motherboard replaced at a...
  6. Motherboard upgrade and OEM License

Motherboard upgrade and OEM License: I plan on upgrading my motherboard but worried that I have to buy Windows 10 again due to my license being an OEM. Is there a way to transfer that license to a new motherboard?...
  7. Faulty motherboard with windows 10 OEM

Faulty motherboard with windows 10 OEM: I built a PC 2 days ago and I received a faulty motherboard, I have already activated an OEM version of windows 10 when the motherboard was working. Will I be able to reactivate windows when I replace the motherboard? with the same model through warranty...
  8. OEM windows 10 on new motherboard

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    OEM windows 10 on new motherboard: So my old motherboard has died and my understanding of the win 10 OEM license is that it is tied to the motherboard - Firstly will windows 10 cope fairly well with a new motherboard and processor come the first boot? (Hoping to not reinstall if I can help it) Secondly, will...
  9. OEM motherboard license question

OEM motherboard license question: Hello, so I originally bought this computer with a OEM windows license attached to the motherboard. A couple months ago i removed my solid state drive and hard drive from the pc to let my nephew use it for a couple of months. Keep in mind I never deleted/formatted my drives...
  10. Windows 10 OEM - changing Motherboard?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 OEM - changing Motherboard?: Built a PC with OEM windows I purchased, looking to upgrade my system and get a new MB. will i be able to reactivate windows if the HD is still the same? submitted by /u/ThisIsEduardo [link] [comments]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. if i replace oem windows 10 can i activate it