Windows 10: Changing MSA account question

Discus and support Changing MSA account question in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I wanted to change my MSA account, @Outlook.com to a different outlook.com. I added another account with netplwiz, went to users, gave the new account... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CmmTch, May 20, 2017.

1. CmmTch Win User

Changing MSA account question

I wanted to change my MSA account, @Outlook.com to a different outlook.com. I added another account with netplwiz, went to users, gave the new account the same security as my existing one.

On the MS Account page > Manage how you sign in to Microsoft > Your Info I set this new account as primary, got a notification email from MS that the primary account had been changed, with instructions that if I did this then no action was needed. This is the page to make an account primary, or remove an account.

Both accounts have the same password. I did this change on my desktop earlier today, checked both of my laptops and they both show the new outlook account in Settings > Accounts > Your Info. In the screen shot from the same Accounts page, Outlook 2 is the new one, and now it's the Microsoft Account listed at the bottom of the Accounts page. The other one listed first is the one I will delete.

All I can see in all my devices (desktop, two laptops) indicate they're using the new MSA with no change at all from the existing one that I'm planning on deleting. To me it doesn't look like deleting the previous existing MSA will cause any problems since everything seems to be working like it always has under the new one.

My question is, can I remove the previous MSA outlook.com without causing any problems? Probably won't hurt anything to keep it, but I'd rather remove it.

:)

CmmTch, May 20, 2017

2. How do I change my associated MSA account on a work account logon?

So, back when there was a limit on the number of computers you could associate with a given MSA account, I had created a second, work-only MSA account to associate with my work computers and the work account logons. This was used to sync onedrive, bookmarks,
    and desktop background stuff.

I'd like to deprecate the work MSA in favor of my 'regular' MSA account (especially now that I've purchased many apps on my regular MSA account that I want to use at work). I can't figure out how to change the 'default' MSA account associated with my work
    account. I can /add/ the 'regular' MSA account, but apps, the store, sync, etc. aren't acknowledging that the 'regular' MSA account is what should be the main thing.

Help!

Thanks,

Brandon

B. Koeller, May 20, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    How do I set up a "dummy" account in Win 10?

There are two types of user account in Windows: a Microsoft account (hereinafter MSA) and a local account. The difference between them is that your MSA account can be used on any computer, while your local account can only be used on the one computer where
    you originally set it up.

The information in your MSA is stored in 'the cloud' (i.e., the internet), which is how your able to access it from any computer. Just sign in to your MSA on any computer, and all the information stored in your MSA is available to you, just as if you were
    sitting in front of your own computer at home.

But a MSA is a lot more than that: It can also be your email account, calendar, online storage, instant messaging and much more. And since these things are all about 'sharing' you get asked all these questions about your personal business.

But you can avoid all that by creating a local account instead of a MSA. A local account can't share anything, so no questions.

P.S. You should have a Microsoft account for reasons I'll explain in the next sentence, but you don't ever have to use it or answer any of those questions. You need MSA credentials (user name and password) to access certain settings and to use Windows
    Store. But you never have to do anything with it. Leave the questions blank or make up phoney answers if you need to. Ignore it.

BulldogXX, May 20, 2017
Thema:

Changing MSA account question

1. Changing MSA account question - Similar Threads - Changing MSA account

2. MSA - Virtualization enabled but still not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MSA - Virtualization enabled but still not working: Hello,I have problems running MSA on my device.I have a Intel Core i5 Processor, which is capable of Virtualization. It is enabled in the BIOS as can be seen in the screenshot cmd.The Virtual Machine Platform is also enabled Turn features on or off box.Still, MSA is not...
  3. Accounts question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Accounts question: Hello AllOne thing that always confuses me Windows 10 is accounts.So I've purchased several refurbished Thinkpads.The machines arrive with an account name and no password. So I set up a passowrd and end up stuck with that account name put int by the seller. One computer is...
  4. Accounts question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accounts question: Hello AllOne thing that always confuses me Windows 10 is accounts.So I've purchased several refurbished Thinkpads.The machines arrive with an account name and no password. So I set up a passowrd and end up stuck with that account name put int by the seller. One computer is...
  5. Accounts question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Account Question

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Account Question: Hello Folks, If I change an email password, do I need to renew the Account Recovery Code? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/account-question/ac271ff6-9dad-49de-805a-c2dd4cdd5ef4
  7. I changed login from MSA account login to Local Account log in. How can I switch back?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I changed login from MSA account login to Local Account log in. How can I switch back?: I changed local login from MSA account related to Local Account. How can I switch back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-changed-login-from-msa-account-login-to-local/b0b6b18d-997f-4e62-bb7a-d3fe0b6eac47
  8. Windows 10 Activation - Add MSA Account Option?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Activation - Add MSA Account Option?: Hello. I am seeking guidance on setting up my new Windows 10 desktop PC. I would like to - [ATTACH] Link Microsoft Account to Digital License without Switching Local Account to Microsoft Account Back in 2016, I remember Windows 10 providing an option to sign in with...
  9. Windows defender issue on MSA

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows defender issue on MSA: Windows defender issue on MSA Device performance and health on MSA is showing unknow, where it is showing no issues on settings I have ran DISM, SFC, and group policy settings are changed, no changes on MSA please do get the resolution for this...
  10. Moving MSA account to Azure AD

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Moving MSA account to Azure AD: hi all - my wife's small business uses Office365 and I'm about to upgrade their PCs to Win10. One of the expected benefits is that they'll be able to login using their O365 credentials, whereas at the moment everyone has a MSA (blah.blah@outlook.com) to login in the PC, and...