Windows 10: Changing Name Assigned to Wi Fi Location

Discus and support Changing Name Assigned to Wi Fi Location in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; How do I change only the Name given to home-based wi fi setup? NOT the hardware-software (they're working fine). Just rename the setup from some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BernardGropper, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Changing Name Assigned to Wi Fi Location

• How do I change only the Name given to home-based wi fi setup? NOT the hardware-software (they're working fine). Just rename the setup from some hardware jargon to "BG DB HOME".

:)

BernardGropper, Aug 27, 2019

2. Trouble Changing Wi-Fi Password

I've been following the following steps to change my Wi-Fi password for some time:

1. Launch Control Panel.
    2. Click "Network and Internet."
    3. Click "Network and Sharing Center."
    4. Click "Wi-Fi...."
    5. Click "Wireless Properties."
    6. Click the Security tab.
    7. Check "Show characters."
    8. Enter the password in "Network security key."
    Those steps have been working just fine, but today I discovered a new wrinkle. If I change the password inside the router first, "Wi-Fi..." doesn't appear in step 4. This isn't much of a problem at home, because I can just change the password in Control Panel before I change it inside the router, but it would be a problem at a public hotspot, or something of that nature. I also tested Brink's instructions in "How to Connect To a Wireless Network in Windows 10," but they don't work for me either. How can I fix this?

gregyurkon, Aug 27, 2019
  3. drkh Win User
    Assign different network profiles (locations) for Ethernet and Wi-Fi

Hi,

I have tried to set my notebook to use the Private network profile (location) for Ethernet and use the Public network profile for Wi-Fi. But it turns out that it's impossible. When the network profile is changed for one of them, the other also changes automatically to use the same profile.

The notebook is connected to my ISP's broadband VTU-R with network cables. The private IP of the VTU-R is 192.168.1.1. The private IP of the notebook's network card is manually set to 192.168.0.4 (different segment) with the VTU-R being the default gateway.

The VTU-R also supports Wi-Fi. When Wi-Fi connection is established, the notebook obtains its Internet IP automatically.

Is it possible to assign different profiles for Ethernet and Wi-Fi respectively?

The OS of the notebook is Windows 10 Pro, version 1709, build 16299.402.

4. Changing Name Assigned to Wi Fi Location

How to change Wi-Fi network connection name

Hi Raphael,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I will definitely assist you.

Let’s try simple steps and check if it helps in resolving the issue. Follow the below steps.

• Type network connection on the Windows search bar and select
      View network connection.

• Right click on the Wi-Fi network and select
      rename.

• Now try changing the name and check if it helps.
    Hope this helps. Post us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Aug 27, 2019
Thema:

Changing Name Assigned to Wi Fi Location

1. Changing Name Assigned to Wi Fi Location - Similar Threads - Changing Name Assigned

2. wi-fi wi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wi-fi wi: I just want to use the wi-fi on my second computer without a cable. my computer uses windows 10 and it keep saying fix the cable! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-wi/fabd5a5d-b3b2-4ae1-8f34-3c5b98d4e10f
  3. wi-fi wi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    wi-fi wi: I just want to use the wi-fi on my second computer without a cable. my computer uses windows 10 and it keep saying fix the cable! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-wi/fabd5a5d-b3b2-4ae1-8f34-3c5b98d4e10f
  4. Delete duplicate wi-fi names?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Delete duplicate wi-fi names?: Hi, how can I delete/remove duplicate/unused wi-fi names/profiles in Windows 10? See here for what I mean -> https://i.imgur.com/coHJQdo.png Googling doesn't reveal any methods that worked for me. submitted by /u/GCRedditor136 [link] [comments]...
  5. How do I change the name of my wi fi network

How do I change the name of my wi fi network: How do I change the name and or password of my wi fi network https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-name-of-my-wi-fi-network/9025cd7e-7881-4631-b774-1c0d2893a06a
  6. How to change Wi-Fi Router Name and Password

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Wi-Fi Router Name and Password: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Wi-Fi is undoubtedly a great way to keep connected to the internet where ever we go. Today we are all able to interface multiple devices to the internet via the same network without any wires. All thanks to the Wi-Fi [...] This post How to change Wi-Fi...
  7. Wi-Fi's name (Wi-Fi) is not shown in action center rather the name of last device i...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wi-Fi's name (Wi-Fi) is not shown in action center rather the name of last device i...: To Whoever it may concern, Hi, I recently used the fresh start feature of windows 10, but from few days i've noticed that in my action center the wifi is show as normal except its name.[ATTACH] Rather the name of the device t which my laptop was last connected, is shown in...
  8. Changes coming for Wi-Fi

Changes coming for Wi-Fi: Not exactly Win10 but the name/version changes will impact IT support both in simplifying and confusing things. But then that's always been a thorn in the side of techs, getting people to be precise and accurate in their descriptions of things. What Is Wi-Fi 6? New Wi-Fi...
  9. Changes coming for Wi-Fi

in Windows 10 Support
    Changes coming for Wi-Fi: Not exactly Win10 but the name/version changes will impact IT support both in simplifying and confusing things. But then that's always been a thorn in the side of techs, getting people to be precise and accurate in their descriptions of things. What Is Wi-Fi 6? New Wi-Fi...
  10. Assign different network profiles (locations) for Ethernet and Wi-Fi

Assign different network profiles (locations) for Ethernet and Wi-Fi: Hi, I have tried to set my notebook to use the Private network profile (location) for Ethernet and use the Public network profile for Wi-Fi. But it turns out that it's impossible. When the network profile is changed for one of them, the other also changes automatically to...