Windows 10: Changing name of folder under Users

Discus and support Changing name of folder under Users in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I need help changing one folder's name in the Users folder. It's the folder that has the name of the device as the folder name. I bought the laptop off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SamT_951, Apr 21, 2020.

1. SamT_951 Win User

Changing name of folder under Users

I need help changing one folder's name in the Users folder. It's the folder that has the name of the device as the folder name. I bought the laptop off my friend but I can't change the name of the one folder. I have already changed the name of the laptop itself in the "About" in the Settings.

Whenever I see where to save a file or see the file path, my friend's name pops up and just need to change that somehow.

Thanks for any help you can give.

:)

SamT_951, Apr 21, 2020
  2. Ryan_2013 Win User

Change User Name Folders

"The change the name on the Account folder is more difficult because it is more heavily protected. See this tutorial:https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/89060-chang..."

On this link, the details show renaming another account. I'm wanting to change the Admin account. It's a good thing I had another user setup on my computer, also as an Admin, because after changing the SID in step 8. And, unable to change the name in step
    11. As "Rename" wasn't in the list. I restarted the computer, since the Admin user account name was changed I was unable to load windows. I had to log into my other account, which was setup as Admin and change the SID back to the 5 letters the user name was
    titled.

My computer, Admin account, works again.

I wasn't wanting to just change another account user name, which this is possible to do. I wanted to change the main user, myself.

Ryan_2013, Apr 21, 2020
  3. User Account folder name

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with changing the folder name under Users folder in Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open the File Explorer and double click on C drive.

2. Open Users folder from the list.

3. Click on the user name folder and then tap on F2 Key.

4. Change the name of the folder and hit on Enter Key.

5. It will ask for Administrator Permission and click on Ok.

6. Folder name will be changed.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Apr 21, 2020
  4. KidmanPE Win User

User Account folder name

Well... that accomplished absolutely nothing! F2 alone brought up my volume bar. Ctrl-F2 = nothing! Fn-F2 = nothing! And, finally, Alt-F2 = nothing! What's supposed to happen when I "click" the User [my (sorta) name] folder and press the F2 key?!

KidmanPE, Apr 21, 2020
Thema:

1. Changing name of folder under Users - Similar Threads - Changing name folder

2. How to change the user's name under C:\Users folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change the user's name under C:\Users folder: Hi,I recently reset my windows laptop, and after I made a local account, I think I might've accidentally made a typo. My user name Not in the lock/login screen but under the C:\Users folder was supposed to be called Splash, but instead it shows splas. I tried to rename the...
  3. How to change the user's name under C:\Users folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change the user's name under C:\Users folder: Hi,I recently reset my windows laptop, and after I made a local account, I think I might've accidentally made a typo. My user name Not in the lock/login screen but under the C:\Users folder was supposed to be called Splash, but instead it shows splas. I tried to rename the...
  4. How to change the user's name under C:\Users folder

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Change folder name of "user" under C:/Users/user

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change folder name of "user" under C:/Users/user: I misspelled by name during installation of windows and now i want to change the name of the folder.What is the possible way to do so ?Thank in advance- Sagnik Saha...
  6. Strange name in folder under USER

Strange name in folder under USER: My account is under my name, but I often try to get the user name The Mage, or TheMage if I can, or many derivatives.I do not see this anywhere on anything listed on my Microsoft accounts, but if it was, it would be TheMage.Trying to change my name just gives my real name. Is...
  7. Changing the name of user under C:\users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Changing the name of user under C:\users: Windows 10 ver 20H2 build 19042.928 I just got a refurbished second hand computer and would like to change the user name which is shown under C:\users to one of my own.own liking. Will someone please tell me how, if possible, to do that? Thank you. 179010
  8. Change user name and user folder name

Change user name and user folder name: My Lenovo/Windows setup has chosen a stupid user name for me, shortened from the first letters of my MS account ID. How do I safely change my user name on my PC, and more importantly, my c:\users\user folder name whilst maintaining my Windows account name for logging in etc?...
  9. Change the users name in folder

Change the users name in folder: I want remove the space in folder's name: C:\Users\Arbnor Gashi\Desktop\Master_Thesis\Write\Thesis. The space between name and last name should be removed because it doesn't work for a statistical program. I changed my account name but this name doesn't change in...
  10. change a user name folder

change a user name folder: how do I change a user name folder in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-a-user-name-folder/7413f37f-1efb-44a8-9a97-24132b3ad0f8