Windows 10: Changing Names on Start Menu tiles

Discus and support Changing Names on Start Menu tiles in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have searched all over for a simple method of changing the names on start menu tiles, especially the ones relating to websites etc. Isn't it possible... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rafg431, Apr 28, 2016.

1. rafg431 Win User

Changing Names on Start Menu tiles

I have searched all over for a simple method of changing the names on start menu tiles, especially the ones relating to websites etc. Isn't it possible for Microsoft to come up with a simple "right-click on tile" solution which would allow you to change the properties of the tile, including the name. I am totally fed up with seeing a lot of blue tiles on my desktop with the most ambiguous names. I would have thought that this problem would have been one of the first to be solved, unless I am the only person using the Windows 10 start menu!!

:)

rafg431, Apr 28, 2016

2. Start menu options

How does someone change individual tile names in windows 10? Wen I pin a web site or other to start menu the name appears as the web address but does not tell me what the tile is how can I change just the name of this individual tile?

Teachartist, Apr 28, 2016
  3. Ade Mudge Win User
    Changing names on tiles Windows 10

Hi, looks like you are having the same problems I was, hope this helps.

The trick is to use internet explorer as described in second paragraph.

I use a website frequently so I use the pin to start feature in edge, lets say I pinned "UKbank" to "start", great, except when it appears on "start" the name that appears just says login page, this is of no use to me so I try to rename it back to "Ukbank"
    except you cant! Plus the icon that appears is just a blue e instead of the sites icon.

So the work around is to not use edge but use IE instead and use the add site to apps feature, then after the site appears in apps right click and pin to start which now gives us the sites proper icon, and we can now rename the tile by right clicking and
    selecting open file location and then changing the name of the shortcut, now it work great but what a long winded process just to get a nice looking tile with a good descriptive name. Some sites you don't want buried away in the favourites menu you want it
    right there on the start screen.

Hope this helps

Ade

Ade Mudge, Apr 28, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, MS's policy with '10 appears to be to reduce superficial user configurability from themes to their update policy and the use of the store. This is presumably aimed at achieving consistency, and that goes across devices too.

For apps from the store, which can be reinstalled fairly readily after, say, a fresh clean install or reset, that means you get consistency.

I'm just a consumer like you- that's the only sort of explanation for why there isn't the flexibility you'd like.

I use Classic Shell - in the folder containing the apps shortcuts, even there, right clicking those doesn't offer rename.

dalchina, Apr 28, 2016
  5. rafg431 Win User
    Many thanks for your quick reply - I should have known it wasn't easy! I don't see what "consistency" has to do with it - after all, what is shown on my desktop is not shared with any other user.
    Kind Regards

rafg431, Apr 28, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Consistency applies in the bigger picture. In Win 10 settings can be shared between devices, for example. Then think networks and people moving between computers and mobile devices. MS wants us to experience a much more consistent product, consistently up to date - both windows updates and driver updates, and has progressively reduced our ability to modify its appearance as a desktop.

The universal apps can be expected to fit that policy more rigidly.

That said, Win 10 has plenty of idiosyncracies and peculiarities if you start poking it.

dalchina, Apr 28, 2016
  7. Cliff S New Member
    For 3rd party desktop programs(not universal apps) you can change the tile names, by right clicking, selecting "More" then selecting "Open file location.
    This brings you to C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    Then just rename the shortcut icon.

Cliff S, Apr 28, 2016
  8. rafg431 Win User

Unfortunately, this doesn't work with tiles for websites. Right click and "More" just gives the option of turning the tile off. Not all tiles are for apps or programmes - a lot are used for quick access to websites (like the favourites toolbar options). Thank you anyway - I appreciate your reply.

rafg431, Apr 28, 2016
  9. Cliff S New Member
    Do you mean, website Favorites/Bookmarks? How about if you rename the bookmark in the browser first?

Cliff S, Apr 28, 2016
  10. rafg431 Win User
    I can't find a way to add a "Favourite" to the Start Menu (as a tile). Basically, I know how to add a web page address (as a tile). But how do I alter the name to something more sensible e.g the URL for tenforums is "www.tenforums.com. I would like to create a tile on the start menu and name it "10 FORUMS". If I make it a favourite, I cannot find a way to add a Favourite to the START MENU as a tile.

rafg431, Apr 29, 2016
  11. Cliff S New Member
    Which browser? Before I experiment around*chuckle

Cliff S, Apr 29, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Might be easier to add a link to your favourites folder in the start menu (LHS) here:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

However, given the limited behaviour of the Win 10 start menu that would only open in explorer.

If you added individual shortcuts to favourites in the same way, they'd just end up scattered throughout the start menu.

Now (coughs !) Classic Shell allows the addition of my Favourites folder, and in 2 clicks it's expanded on my screen.

dalchina, Apr 29, 2016
  13. rafg431 Win User

I use Chrome (and, of course) Edge. I already have a "Favourites folder" but I was hoping it would make like easier if I could add individual favourite websites and "personalise" the name on the tile. I am very grateful for your help.

rafg431, Apr 29, 2016
  14. Cliff S New Member
    With Chrome got to the hamburger icon and select More Tools then select Add to desktop. This will create an "app"(more a link with icon & tile) It will create a desktop icon, and in all apps a folder called "Chrome Apps" when opened it will have the link. You then can put this on your Start Menu.

Changing Names on Start Menu tiles [​IMG]

If you do not like the name given, right click the tile, select "More", then Open file location. Right click the shortcut there and rename it.

Also on Chrome's Apps page it will have the icon too.

Changing Names on Start Menu tiles [​IMG]

Cliff S, Apr 29, 2016
  15. rafg431 Win User
    Brilliant! At last. Many, many thanks - just the job. Thanks to all contributors.

rafg431, Apr 29, 2016
Thema:

1. Changing Names on Start Menu tiles - Similar Threads - Changing Names Start

2. Change the colour of a tile in the start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change the colour of a tile in the start menu?: Hey, So I tried to pin the Elite Dangerous launcher to my start menu, turns out to be white or very light grey, which breaks the entire grey / dark scheme I have going on. I tried creating an 'EDLaunch.VisualElementsManifest.xml' with these parameters; <Application...
  3. Start Menu Tiles...

Start Menu Tiles...: [ATTACH] Is there any way to change Windows 10 UWP app tiles to an unsupported color or at least, change it without changing the accent color? https://preview.redd.it/mbqdxtnjwlx51.png?width=1366&format=png&auto=webp&s=4cb2a93bc3c80ee24150a8458dd752ab330f4e94 submitted...
  4. How to change Start menu tile icon

How to change Start menu tile icon: I want to change the Settings tile to the new 10X settings icon. Can you help me with this? submitted by /u/stadiafan37 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hpt37v/how_to_change_start_menu_tile_icon/
  5. Start Menu Tiles

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Tiles: Hi, I really like the original factory start menu view with all of the tiles. I did someting and now when I click start menu I only get cortona to come up. Is there a fix for this? I know it is likely something easy.... Help!...
  6. START MENUE TILES

START MENUE TILES: USING THE SAME MICROSOFT ACCOUNT WHY THE START TILES ARE NOT THE SAME ON EACH COMPUTER USING THE SAME MICROSOFT ACCOUNT. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menue-tiles/22d9f2c5-64c5-4b9a-9549-f88a285c37f7
  7. Start menu tiles

Start menu tiles: Hi Im trying to sort out a problem, recently I noticed that I cant add tiles to the start menu, I cant delete ones already there, I cant move them where I want them to be and that the *context* menu that appears when I right click on the tiles already pinned to the start...
  8. Changing the Start Menu Tile Side

Changing the Start Menu Tile Side: I have basically given up hope that Microsoft will return the Windows 7 (and before) Start Menu back where it belongs. So I want to play their game and try to modify the tile side. I see that programs that I pin to the Start menu go to the very bottom of the tiles. I added a...
  9. no tiles in the start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    no tiles in the start menu: [img] I've had this problem for a while and with every build it doesn't get fixed. When I open the start menu the tiles don't appear. Screenshot should say it all. If anyone can tell me what to do to get this problem solved I would appreciate it 8379
  10. Start Menu tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu tiles: I have mistakenly dragged my mail tile/ icon from the Start Menu in W.10 to the desktop. How can I return it to the start menu ? ( drag and drop does not work ) 69326