Windows 10: Changing OneDrive as default document folder in Windows 11

Discus and support Changing OneDrive as default document folder in Windows 11 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I just bought a new laptop with Windows 11 installed.Files that I placed in Documents, Pictures, Video, Music folders however are not being stored on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by TerryAlly, Feb 18, 2022.

1. TerryAlly Win User

Changing OneDrive as default document folder in Windows 11

I just bought a new laptop with Windows 11 installed.Files that I placed in Documents, Pictures, Video, Music folders however are not being stored on my hard drive but on C:\Users\{me}\OneDrive. I do not want this.I want the old-fashioned method that was in Windows 10 where they were stored at C:\Users\{me}\Documents, C:\Users\{me}\Pictures etc etcHow do I achieve this and get rid of OneDrive?

:)

TerryAlly, Feb 18, 2022

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Feb 18, 2022
  3. Riel Alc Win User
    Windows 10 update changed *This PC > Documents* to duplicate OneDrive folder

Hi,

To assist you further, we'd like to get the following information:

• Where are your files located?
    • What is your default Set save location? To check the Set save location, follow the following steps:
    1) Right-click Documents (your documents), then select
    Properties.

2) In the resulting box, check if the Library locations is set to
    Documents. If not, choose Documents, then click
    Set save location.

3) Click Apply, then click OK.

Note: When you close the dialog box, your local Documents folder will be your default Documents folder.

Additional Information:

Documents folder - is a component of the user profile that is used as a unified location for storing personal data. By default, the My Documents folder is a folder in the user's profile that is used as a default storage location for saved documents.

For additional information regarding OneDrive, please click this
    link

We're looking forward for your response.

Riel Alc, Feb 18, 2022
  4. Changing OneDrive as default document folder in Windows 11

Location on Documents folder and Pictures folder has been changed to OneDrive

Instead of unlinking and uninstalling OneDrive, you probably should just change its auto save behavior.

Use the OneDrive app settings to change where your files are saved by default.

In the Notifications area at the bottom of your Windows screen, right-click the OneDrive icon and click Settings. You might have to click Show hidden icons to find OneDrive.

In the Settings box, on the Auto save tab, under Documents and Pictures, click the list at Documents or Pictures and pick the default save location you want.

This PC only - When you create a file, the Documents or Pictures folder under This PC is the first-choice location offered to save it. The file is not saved to OneDrive unless you do so separately, and it is available only on the PC you used to save it.

OneDrive - When you create a file, the first location offered is within the Documents or Pictures folder under OneDrive. Because these folders sync to your PC, files you save there are available on your PC, even when it's not connected to the Internet. And
    you can use any device with an Internet connection to access your files.

Note: No matter which default setting you choose, you still can select the save location you want each time you save a file. When you click Save for new files or Save As for existing files, click OneDrive or This PC and then pick a folder to save your file
    to.

Find and move your files

The Documents and Pictures folders exist in both This PC and OneDrive, which might make them easy to mix up. If you've mistakenly saved a file - for example, you save a file to the Documents folder in your PC instead of the Documents folder in OneDrive, use
    File Explorer or the OneDrive app to drag the files where you want them.

From the Start menu, click the OneDrive tile to open the OneDrive app built into File Explorer.

In the file list on the right, browse to find the file you want to move, and drag it to the correct folder in the folder list on the left.

Andre Da Costa, Feb 18, 2022
Thema:

Changing OneDrive as default document folder in Windows 11

1. Changing OneDrive as default document folder in Windows 11 - Similar Threads - Changing OneDrive default

2. Change Default Document Folder Location to local Drive from OneDrive Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Default Document Folder Location to local Drive from OneDrive Windows 11: Hi, I wish to change document folder's default location from OneDrive to local drive. It is currently configured as follows:I have unlinked OneDrive from everywhere else on my laptop. However, all my other attempts to change the default path for the Document folder to my...
  3. Change Default Document Folder Location to local Drive from OneDrive Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Default Document Folder Location to local Drive from OneDrive Windows 11: Hi, I wish to change document folder's default location from OneDrive to local drive. It is currently configured as follows:I have unlinked OneDrive from everywhere else on my laptop. However, all my other attempts to change the default path for the Document folder to my...
  4. Onedrive changes desktop link to %USERPROFILES%\Documents to OneDrive's\Documents folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive changes desktop link to %USERPROFILES%\Documents to OneDrive's\Documents folder: This is absolutely driving me nuts.I have a link to the local Documents folder because Onedrive slows down everything I do locally to a crawl. The path is simply this:%USERPROFILE%\DocumentsIt should point to C:\Users\username\DocumentsBut when I double click the link which I...
  5. Onedrive changes desktop link to %USERPROFILES%\Documents to OneDrive's\Documents folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive changes desktop link to %USERPROFILES%\Documents to OneDrive's\Documents folder: This is absolutely driving me nuts.I have a link to the local Documents folder because Onedrive slows down everything I do locally to a crawl. The path is simply this:%USERPROFILE%\DocumentsIt should point to C:\Users\username\DocumentsBut when I double click the link which I...
  6. Onedrive changes desktop link to %USERPROFILES%\Documents to OneDrive's\Documents folder

7. Changing OneDrive as default document folder in Windows 11

Changing OneDrive as default document folder in Windows 11: I just bought a new laptop with Windows 11 installed.Files that I placed in Documents, Pictures, Video, Music folders however are not being stored on my hard drive but on C:\Users\{me}\OneDrive. I do not want this.I want the old-fashioned method that was in Windows 10 where...
  8. Changing folder type default to Documents

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing folder type default to Documents: I work with a lot of media files music / video and jpgs and frequently when I set a folder with one of this I get a bunch of utterly useless column headings which relate to album or music tracks, whereas without exception what I actually need is documents folder view each and...
  9. Change default windows documents location from OneDrive\Documents to User\Documents

Change default windows documents location from OneDrive\Documents to User\Documents: I unfortunately set this up when I installed windows to save my Documents to OneDrive unknowingly that instead of syncing my actual documents it creates and changes the default documents folder to a OneDrive folder. How do I undo this?This...
  10. Changing the Default documents Folder

Changing the Default documents Folder: Hello. In my new PC my default documents folder is C:\Users\****\OneDrive\Documents and I would like to change it to just C:\Users\****\Documents as every app's document data is by default saved there and it slows down my connection when it uploads those files in the cloud....