Windows 10: Changing OS drive

Discus and support Changing OS drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So, my HDD is getting old, and I am planning maybe getting an SSD as my OS drive. I'll reset my HDD, but I just want to know how to change it over... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by FredericBentley, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Changing OS drive

So, my HDD is getting old, and I am planning maybe getting an SSD as my OS drive. I'll reset my HDD, but I just want to know how to change it over without having to pay for it again seeing as it is still the same computer. I'll then use the HDD as the one where I keep files and applications. I no longer have the product key as it was a w7 one that was upgraded to w10, so it is now a digital license. How do I move it from one drive to another.

Thank you

:)

FredericBentley, Feb 19, 2021
Thema:

Changing OS drive

1. Changing OS drive - Similar Threads - Changing drive

2. USB drives not showing in "Change where new content is saved"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB drives not showing in "Change where new content is saved": My two USB drives, visible in Explorer, do not appear as options when I navigate Settings > Storage > "Change where new content is saved."These drives also don't show in "View storage usage on other drives," but they are shown when I try to add drives from "View backup...
  3. USB drives not showing in "Change where new content is saved"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB drives not showing in "Change where new content is saved": My two USB drives, visible in Explorer, do not appear as options when I navigate Settings > Storage > "Change where new content is saved."These drives also don't show in "View storage usage on other drives," but they are shown when I try to add drives from "View backup...
  4. USB drives not showing in "Change where new content is saved"

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. I accidentally changed the owner of drive c: from system to my user account and I don't...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I accidentally changed the owner of drive c: from system to my user account and I don't...: I did this by complete accident and people are saying it is bad and makes the pc unstable making icons disappear etc. I have yet to encounter these issues people listed but just incase would like to know if there is a fix that doesn't involve reinstalling windows....
  6. I accidentally changed the owner of drive c: from system to my user account and I don't...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I accidentally changed the owner of drive c: from system to my user account and I don't...: I did this by complete accident and people are saying it is bad and makes the pc unstable making icons disappear etc. I have yet to encounter these issues people listed but just incase would like to know if there is a fix that doesn't involve reinstalling windows....
  7. I accidentally changed the owner of drive c: from system to my user account and I don't...

8. How do I rename and change which drive is my primary/system/boot driver?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I rename and change which drive is my primary/system/boot driver?: I have an MSI Z87 G65 Mobo with an Intel i5 4 core CPU with three storage drives. My C drive is on a 300G Intel ssd and my other 2 are a 1T and a 2T Toshiba hhd. While doing my initial setup I left my 1T drive unable to be utilized due to me not populating/allocating? it. I...
  9. How do I rename and change which drive is my primary/system/boot driver?

How do I rename and change which drive is my primary/system/boot driver?: I have an MSI Z87 G65 Mobo with an Intel i5 4 core CPU with three storage drives. My C drive is on a 300G Intel ssd and my other 2 are a 1T and a 2T Toshiba hhd. While doing my initial setup I left my 1T drive unable to be utilized due to me not populating/allocating? it. I...
  10. How do I rename and change which drive is my primary/system/boot driver?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware