Windows 10: Changing Permission of C:\Windows\WinSxS

Discus and support Changing Permission of C:\Windows\WinSxS in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have installed openssh server and need to edit the sshd_config file (as well as copying it before making any changes). The file is in a folder that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by quarkrad, Dec 1, 2020.

1. quarkrad Win User

Changing Permission of C:\Windows\WinSxS

I have installed openssh server and need to edit the sshd_config file (as well as copying it before making any changes). The file is in a folder that in turn is in the WinSxS directory. All folders in WinSxs are owned by the Trusted Installer. I have gone through a number of detailed posts on how to include myself, as Administrator, to the ownership but at different points check boxes are greyed out where in the the instructions they are not grey. Any help appreciated on how to access this folder/file to edit.

:)

quarkrad, Dec 1, 2020

2. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Dec 1, 2020
  3. psyko12 Win User
    winsxs in vista

It's in C:\Windows, assuming C: is the os drive... Mine's over 9gb... I unno why it grows that big

Read here.. It's also an important folder..
    http://www.winvistaclub.com/f16.html

psyko12, Dec 1, 2020
  4. Changing Permission of C:\Windows\WinSxS

Change administrator permission

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

This issue may arise due to removing/uninstalling Windows 7 by using third party software (not recommended). I suggest you to follow the below given methods and check if issue persist.

Method 1:

Run System Maintenance troubleshooter on the computer and check if any issue found. To do so, kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows and X key together and select
      Control Panel.
    • Click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on View all option on the left side of the Windows.
    • Click on System Maintenance option.
    • Click on Next and follow the onscreen instructions to troubleshoot the issue.

Method 2:

I suggest you to perform the below given steps and check if it resolve the permission issue.

• Right click on the file and click on Properties.
    • Click on Security, check Owner should be "SYSTEM" in
      Advance tab.
    • Now check the save for C:\Users\<username>
    • Owner should also be "SYSTEM"
    • Check the users you signed into windows as (should be your Microsoft account) should be in the "Permissions entries" list with "Full Contol"
    • If not, Add the user you are logged in as.
    • All the folders and sub-folders below should be "owned" by the user you are logged into windows with
      importantly, have a permissions entry for "full control"
    • Check for all the related folder where you are getting same error, but for some reason that same user is missing a "Permission Entry". Add a "full control" entry for the user and you should be able to save to that folder
      and all sub-folders

Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Dec 1, 2020
Thema:

Changing Permission of C:\Windows\WinSxS

1. Changing Permission of C:\Windows\WinSxS - Similar Threads - Changing Permission WindowsWinSxS

2. Permissions for c:\windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Permissions for c:\windows: How do I get The windows folder it's selfTo look an function like this folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/permissions-for-cwindows/35b0770d-1c85-42b0-99f3-62ee45cc4c43
  3. Permissions for c:\windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Permissions for c:\windows: How do I get The windows folder it's selfTo look an function like this folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/permissions-for-cwindows/35b0770d-1c85-42b0-99f3-62ee45cc4c43
  4. "Accidentally" changed permission to all C: files and folders

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "Accidentally" changed permission to all C: files and folders: I might have made the most stupid mistake I've ever made. I was moving many files among different folders and every time I moved a file, a message appeared saying that I had to provide administrator permission to move the file. There are no other accounts on my PC so I'm the...
  5. Changing Permission of C:\Windows\WinSxS

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Changing Permission of C:\Windows\WinSxS: I have installed openssh server and need to edit the sshd_config file (as well as copying it before making any changes). The file is in a folder that in turn is in the WinSxS directory. All folders in WinSxs are owned by the Trusted Installer. I have gone through a number of...
  6. permissions in c:/program files/ windowsapps/ have changed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    permissions in c:/program files/ windowsapps/ have changed: permissions in c:/program files/ windowsapps/ have changed and I can not change them error is Windows cannot access the specific device, path or file You may not have appropriate permissions to access them . most app's and all troubleshooters will not work, internet drops...
  7. C drive Permissions

C drive Permissions: By default all my software and games are installed in C so My Documents/Videos/Pictures are the default save locations for respective software/game. After the latest Windows update, any game I playalready played before starts from the beginning and if i try to save the game...
  8. C drive permissions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    C drive permissions: Any software or games I install, I install them in the default location C. if I am playing a game, the save files of the game by default gets saved in documents. Ever since updating windows, any software or game that tries to save something in documents is showing error. As...
  9. Changing permissions on folders under C:\ProgramData

Changing permissions on folders under C:\ProgramData: I am unable to change permissions on the Folder C:\ProgramData\NVIDA Corporation to allow Modify and/or Full control in order to let NVIDIA Control Panel settings to be saved! This is in Windows 10 Professional. I have run File Explorer as administrator! I require some...
  10. Access Denied when changing permissions on C: drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Access Denied when changing permissions on C: drive: Hey, just trying to allow my applications to write in certain files, so i changed some security settings, and then clicked apply and boof, it gives me this... how tf is it DENYING Me Access!?? Is windows stupid? or am i not really administrator... this is killing me, and my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant change permission in winsxs

2. winsxs manual chanage file protection