Windows 10: Changing permissions on folders under C:\ProgramData

Discus and support Changing permissions on folders under C:\ProgramData in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am unable to change permissions on the Folder C:\ProgramData\NVIDA Corporation to allow Modify and/or Full control in order to let NVIDIA Control... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RodJay1, Nov 29, 2018.

1. RodJay1 Win User

Changing permissions on folders under C:\ProgramData

I am unable to change permissions on the Folder C:\ProgramData\NVIDA Corporation to allow Modify and/or Full control in order to let NVIDIA Control Panel settings to be saved! This is in Windows 10 Professional.

I have run File Explorer as administrator! I require some assistance please!

Thanks,

Rod Jay

:)

RodJay1, Nov 29, 2018
  2. Mark Ole Win User

ProgramData folder what is it?

Hi Kurtis,

The ProgramData specifies the path to the program-data folder (normally C:\ProgramData). Unlike the Program Files folder, this folder can be used by applications to store data for standard users, because it does not require elevated permissions.

The path can be on a volume other than the system drive and should not cause performance loss nor cause confusion to Windows , as long as it meets the following requirements:

• It must be on an NTFS volume.
    • It can’t point to a drive that has a different copy of Windows on it.
    • It can’t contain any serviceable components

Regards.

Mark Ole, Nov 29, 2018
  3. Jelu Cal Win User
    ProgramData-filder backup

Hi,

The ProgramData folder is usually located in the C: drive of your device. To locate the ProgramData folder, you can perform the following:

• In File Explorer, click on the View tab.
    • Click on Options.
    • In the Folder Options window, click on the View tab.
    • Under the Hidden files and folders, select Show hidden files, folders, or drives.
    • Click on Apply.
    • Click on OK.

Let us know how it goes after you've performed the steps.

Jelu Cal, Nov 29, 2018
  4. Changing permissions on folders under C:\ProgramData

Unable to delete a particular folder. Error: "You require permission from Administrators to make changes to this folder."

Windows Edition 10 Version 1809, OS build 18272.1000

After installing the latest creators update I have the following issue. When using Explorer to delete a folder that is not empty I always get this issue: "You require permission from Administrators to make changes to this folder." It doesn't matter
    if I just created it or not. I can remove the folder just fine using rmdir <folder> /s /q.

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Using explorer create the folder c:\users\rob\a\b\c.
    2. Using explorer try to delete folder c:\users\rob\a.
      1. It fails with "You require permission from Administrators to make changes to this folder."
    3. Using explorer delete the folder c:\users\rob\a\b\c -works just fine
    4. Using explorer delete the folder c:\users\rob\a\b -works just fine
    5. Using explorer delete the folder c:\users\rob\a -works just fine.

This will also reproduce the issue

1. mkdir c:\users\rob\a
    2. mkdir c:\users\rob\a\b
    3. mkdir c:\users\rob\a\b\c
    4. Using explorer try to delete folder c:\users\rob\a.
      1. It fails with "You require permission from Administrators to make changes to this folder."

This is a new behavior and is causing some build tools to fail.

Thanks,

Rob

***Title modified from Windows Explorer Permissions Isuse***

Rob.Kreger, Nov 29, 2018
Thema:

Changing permissions on folders under C:\ProgramData

1. Changing permissions on folders under C:\ProgramData - Similar Threads - Changing permissions folders

2. How to remove access to the C:\ProgramData folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove access to the C:\ProgramData folder?: I was trying to bind my medial play/pause button to spotify by changing .mp3 and .cda files to open with Spotify by default. But since Spotify came with the laptop, I had to find spotify by unlocking access to the 'ProgramData' file. I was unsuccessful, but now I can't open...
  3. How to remove access to the C:\ProgramData folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove access to the C:\ProgramData folder?: I was trying to bind my medial play/pause button to spotify by changing .mp3 and .cda files to open with Spotify by default. But since Spotify came with the laptop, I had to find spotify by unlocking access to the 'ProgramData' file. I was unsuccessful, but now I can't open...
  4. Default group permissions for ProgramData folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default group permissions for ProgramData folder?: Can someone list the default permissions for the C:\ProgramData\ folder for the following groups?- CREATOR OWNER- SYSTEM- Administrators- UsersThanks!...
  5. Default group permissions for ProgramData folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default group permissions for ProgramData folder?: Can someone list the default permissions for the C:\ProgramData\ folder for the following groups?- CREATOR OWNER- SYSTEM- Administrators- UsersThanks!...
  6. C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\SystemKeys Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\SystemKeys Folder: Help! The folder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\SystemKeys is growing out of control. It is doing this on some of our servers and some desktops. We are a medium to small business and use Active Directory not Azure AD. My guess is it has something to do with Remote Desktop....
  7. is C:\ProgramData\ssh a windows folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    is C:\ProgramData\ssh a windows folder?: Noticed this folder pop up and I'm not sure what its from the only thing I could think is of its from the last windows update since I think it was created on the same day. submitted by /u/nalaiio [link] [comments]...
  8. Default permissions in folders under c:\windows\

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Default permissions in folders under c:\windows\: Is there any way to audit permissions if they changed in C:\windows\ and subfolders since I installed windows 10? Windows XP had such a capability but I cannot find it in windows 10. 143848
  9. Can't delete folder in c:\ProgramData\

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete folder in c:\ProgramData\: I want to delete a folder in my C:\ProgramData\ loaction but it says I need premission from myself (DESKTOP-2B48AAE\Temren) who is me. I am the only user of this machine and there is no one else who uses it. There is only 2 users one me and the other ASP.NET Machine account...
  10. Cannot read file in C:\ProgramData folder.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot read file in C:\ProgramData folder.: I have a program which has a small text file in the C:\ProgramData\mfrg\appname folder. The program cannot read the file unless I select "Run as administrator" even though the account has administrator privileges.. I get an error that says the file cannot be located. How...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. give permission program data

2. how can i give permissions to a folder under programdata

3. how to open permissions for c:\programdata\%username%

4. changing permissions on ProgramData folder from C#,
  5. delete a folder in c:\programdata,
  6. programdata folder permission administators,
  7. unable to save permission changes on programdata,
  8. change permissions in programdata