Windows 10: Changing Phone number to access account

Discus and support Changing Phone number to access account in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Need to access my sons account to change his phone number. Now stuck in a loop as the code is send to the old obsolete phone number. Pls advice.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Marcel Kalkman, Apr 8, 2022.

1. Changing Phone number to access account

Need to access my sons account to change his phone number. Now stuck in a loop as the code is send to the old obsolete phone number. Pls advice.

:)

Marcel Kalkman, Apr 8, 2022

2. How to change phone number associated with a microsoft account

Hi,

Phone number is one of your security info, which is only used to verify your identity if you're accessing sensitive personal information or if we detect a problem with your account.
    To change the phone number associated with your Microsoft account, we recommend to follow the steps below:

• First, go to the
      Security basics
      page and sign in with your Microsoft account.
    • Select Update info.
    • Select Add security info. then follow the instructions to enter your email or phone number.
    • We'll send a security code to that new email or phone number. Enter that security code, and press
      Next. Your new security info will appear in you list.

Check this
    link
    for Security info & security codes.

Let us know if you need more help.

Marvelos Reg, Apr 8, 2022
  3. Kari Win User
    Microsoft account and phone number linked

Microsoft account password recovery requires two verification codes being sent using two different verification methods. Each Microsoft account has at least two verification methods, the phone number and additional email address which are asked and required when you set up a new Microsoft account with a new hotmail.com or outlook.com email or using a third party email.

When the thief who got your phone tries to recover your password, all your verification methods / security info phone numbers and email addresses will be listed for him to select one. OK, the thief naturally selects your phone number, gets the code sent as a text message, and enters it.

But, clicking Next after entering the code he needs to select another security info contact (phone / email) from the list to receive second verification code.

Password recovery is not possible with just your phone, the system is clever enough to make it impossible by requiring two codes being sent to two different phones and / or emails.

You can add as many phone numbers and email address as you wish as security info contacts at https://account.live.com/proofs/mana...&refp=security. I wholeheartedly recommend that you add at least another security email address; if you only have one phone number and one email added, those which were required when you set up the Microsoft account, and that thief got your phone, the recovery would be as impossible to you as it is to him, you both having access to just one of required two verification methods.

Kari, Apr 8, 2022
  4. Changing Phone number to access account

Want to change phone number in Microsoft account

To add a new email address or phone number as an alias:

Sign in to Manage how you sign in to Microsoft with your Microsoft account. If you’re having issues signing in to your Microsoft account, go to Microsoft account help.

Note

You may be prompted to enter your Microsoft account password, or to enter a code sent to the email address or phone number listed in your account's security information. By providing this info to us, we know the request is coming from you.

Under the Account aliases section, select either Add email or Add phone number.

If you selected Add a phone number, go to step 5. If you selected Add email, choose whether to add:

A new email address. Select Create a new email address and add it as an alias, and then follow the instructions.

A non-Microsoft email address (such as an @gmail.com or @yahoo.com email address). Select Add an existing email address as a Microsoft account alias, and then select Add alias.

After you've added the email address, you'll be asked to verify that you're the account owner:

Select Verify next to the new alias. A message is sent to the account for verification.

After you receive the message, select the included link to confirm that you own the account.

If you selected Add a phone number, follow these steps:

Select your country from the list.

Enter the phone number you want to use, and then select Next.

When you add a new phone number, we'll send a text message to that number to verify it. Enter the code from the text message, and then select Next.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/12407/...

sunil parmar, Apr 8, 2022
Thema:

Changing Phone number to access account

1. Changing Phone number to access account - Similar Threads - Changing Phone number

2. Phone number not accessible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Phone number not accessible: Hello. My husband and I recently moved countries, therefore we do not have access to our old phone numbers or back up email address; this was not an Outlook account.How can I update my security details if my husband cannot receive a text or email to verify the request,...
  3. Phone number not accessible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Phone number not accessible: Hello. My husband and I recently moved countries, therefore we do not have access to our old phone numbers or back up email address; this was not an Outlook account.How can I update my security details if my husband cannot receive a text or email to verify the request,...
  4. Phone number not accessible

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Change account phone number

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change account phone number: How do I change the account phone number? every response I’ve seen says to log in to security settings…BUT…that wants me to verify my account with a TEXT…I no longer have that phone…VERY FRUSTRATING...
  6. Change account phone number

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change account phone number: How do I change the account phone number? every response I’ve seen says to log in to security settings…BUT…that wants me to verify my account with a TEXT…I no longer have that phone…VERY FRUSTRATING...
  7. Changing Phone number to access account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing Phone number to access account: Need to access my sons account to change his phone number. Now stuck in a loop as the code is send to the old obsolete phone number. Pls advice. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-phone-number-to-access-account/5b7a319a-2240-41a8-9c0a-f95edd842f86
  8. How to change phone number on Microsoft account

How to change phone number on Microsoft account: I need to edit phone number on Microsoft account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-phone-number-on-microsoft-account/5bab2d82-0fcc-4402-8c37-3c078713705c"
  9. Phone number to access E-Mail account

Phone number to access E-Mail account: I am trying to send an e-mail through my Hotmail account and a Microsoft box appears and asks to +Confirm your phone number". When I enter the number, it says that is not the correct number. How can I correct this? Thanks Phil...
  10. How to change the phone number in Microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change the phone number in Microsoft account?: Help me to change the phone number in Microsoft account. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-the-phone-number-in-microsoft/65a2affa-6350-4435-afb8-c3e88352ddae