Windows 10: Changing preferred DNS Server IP address not taking any effects. Its using another server...

Discus and support Changing preferred DNS Server IP address not taking any effects. Its using another server... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; The problem began when i couldn't access some URLs (on the internet) and the error tells the server refuses connection (or not responding). The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Rancbar, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Rancbar Win User

Changing preferred DNS Server IP address not taking any effects. Its using another server...

The problem began when i couldn't access some URLs (on the internet) and the error tells the server refuses connection (or not responding).

The problem gives me a headache for accessing these addresses.

I tested them in other Laptops and they working just fine but in my Laptop they are not working.

I pinged the domains and after a long time about thinking on the problem, i found out that all of ping requests on different domains is going to a same IP address (10.10.34.35).

I thought the DNS is not working properly and i set a public (and tested) DNS server in the Preferred DNS Server field in related network interface configuration, and then tried again after clearing arp table using `arp -d *` but that domain address resolved to the same IP (10.10.34.35)

Finally i edited the `%systemroot%/system32/drivers/etc/hosts` file and added IP address for one of the domains in this `hosts` file (i got the IP address of domain using another laptop) accessing to the domain worked just fine.

BUT THE PROBLEM IS STILL THERE

It worked because i added the known IP address to local hosts file MANUALY.

What should i do now?

Is this a bug?

My OS: Windows 10 - Version 1803 (build 17134.254)

:)

Rancbar, Sep 9, 2018
  2. Yashwanth Kotakuri Win User

DNS Server Address

Hi Arya,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

If you enable the option Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically, then your device broadcasts a special signal asking for any available DHCP(Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) server to give it an
    IP. In other words it will automatically configure IP address itself with the help of server, instead of manual user input.

You can prefer this option when you don't have an idea about the actual IP address or willing to go with server to automatically assign a IP address to your computer. Most of the times this option avoids the IP conflicts over network and it is
    nothing related to unsafe.

Hope this will address your query.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Sep 9, 2018
  3. Arya Pradata Win User
    DNS Server Address

Hello there,

I want to ask a question, What Happen if i change my DNS Server Addresses into
    Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties(on my router properties). I was using my default router DNS Server Address then i changed it into Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically.
    Because when i was using my router DNS Server i cant browse on any Internet Browser. Now i changed my setting into Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically, now i can browse like usual. But. Will it affected with my router provider ? Or Do you have any others
    fix to make me can browse on internet without changing that DNS Settings.

Arya Pradata, Sep 9, 2018
  4. moose in utah Win User

Changing preferred DNS Server IP address not taking any effects. Its using another server...

windows 10 IPV4 DNS Server will not change ip Address

Hi,

I downloaded windows 10 and now my IPV4 DNS server and Modem have the same address. I set DNS and IP to Auto in windows 10 and restarted. it will not change. so I can't stay on internet. can anyone Please Help me.

Thank-you

Moose

moose in utah, Sep 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Changing preferred DNS Server IP address not taking any effects. Its using another server... - Similar Threads - Changing preferred DNS

2. Change Preferred DNS server

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change Preferred DNS server: Hello have fresh installation Windows 10 (up to date), version 1803, build 17134.320 In network configuration Prefered DNS server always has value 172.0.0.1. I make the change to my need and after save and flush DNS ipconfig /flushdns value get back to 172.0.0.1 Thank you...
  3. secure dns server

secure dns server: for years i used an anti-virus program that came as a suite of products. one of which was they had a secure dns and in stucted you to change you network adapter to their ip address. they did not say anything about that it would ad a small string at the end of my home page for...
  4. DNS server is unavailable

DNS server is unavailable: I cannot get to a specific website. It keeps saying your DNS server might be unavailable. I have never had an issue with the site before and have tried from my desktop as well as my laptop. Other people can get to the site....
  5. Local DNS Server

Local DNS Server: HI, i am using TWO Diff Forest Dcs. One is pow.com another is bloom.com. both are same network and each DC hase its own DNS servers. For all my users using pow.com domain and DNS server as primary. bloom.com is my DEV servers DC. in this domain one server having IIS...
  6. Server DNS address could not be found

Server DNS address could not be found: Hi, yesterday, after the most recent windows 10 update, my laptops wifi kept disconnecting every five minutes and getting the server DNS address could not be found error. Re-connecting wifi helps, but only for 5 or so minutes. Scanned for viruses, didn't find anything....
  7. Can't change my DNS settings to Google's or any DNS server

Can't change my DNS settings to Google's or any DNS server: I have tried and tried to change my DNS settings to use Googles DNS (8.8.8.8) and it will not stick. Even downloaded a free program to do it. I use the free program, and it makes Windows send out the side popup, saying the DNS was changed successfully , but it is not changed....
  8. Changing DNS server

Changing DNS server: Can I use either one of these to change my DNS server. I have a T-Mobile version of the ASUS TM-AC1900 router. The ASUS does not seem to have an alternate address input 92132
  9. DNS server suggestions.

DNS server suggestions.: Hiya. I need some suggestion on good DNS servers that I can connect to and not find myself with problems all the time, I've used FF, Chrome, Edge and Comodo Dragon but all seem to have issues especially with the DNS that I'm connected to. I'm currently using the Google...
  10. Change IPv4 and IPv6 DNS Server Address in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change IPv4 and IPv6 DNS Server Address in Windows: To change DNS on DHCP enabled network (without the need to enter the name): Code: wmic nicconfig where DHCPEnabled=TRUE call SetDNSServerSearchOrder ("208.67.222.222","208.67.220.220")[/quote] To change DNS based on MAC address: Code: wmic nicconfig where...