Windows 10: Changing RDP port after upgrade

Discus and support Changing RDP port after upgrade in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I had my port set to 443, and it worked. I cannot seem to RDP on that port, or the default port. The firewall is OFF. Any ideas? The port was changed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by vivithemage, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Changing RDP port after upgrade

I had my port set to 443, and it worked. I cannot seem to RDP on that port, or the default port. The firewall is OFF. Any ideas? The port was changed in registry already when I went to double check, rebooted a few times, still no luck. Does the new smart filter thingy block something?

Did some quick troubleshooting. I disabled remote desktop, and watched netstat -a, and it stopped listening on 443. I then enabled it on 443, and it started listening again, so I know the port is indeed open on the box, and not in use. I am trying to RDP over the LAN, not internet too! The box responds to pings.

:)

vivithemage, Aug 2, 2015

2. Default Printer changing to Printer that's first in the "Port Name" List

Hi All,

I have an issue where the default printer keeps changing to the Printer that's Port Name is first in the "Port Name" List in ascending order, whenever I RDP into it.

Some Note:

• The default printer changes on the remote PC (The PC I RDP into).
    • All OS's involved are Windows 10 Pro x64.
    • I unchecked the "Printers" checkbox on the saved .RDP file.
    • I have turned the "Let Windows manage my default printer" option on and then printed from the correct default printer but then when I RDP into it from home it changes to the Printer that's Port Name is first in the "Port Name" List in ascending order.
    I cant rename the Port Name without re-adding the printers which I really don't want to have to do.

Thanks in advance for any help.

duncanwarrender, Aug 2, 2015
  3. OldOldGuy Win User
    Windows 10 Remote Desktop Change Port Problem

Windows 10 RDP works with standard port 3389. I have been trying to change a to a NEW port for additional security. I have done the standard changes and entered the NEW TCP port via regedit "TCP port". I have also changed my router NAT to the NEW port.
    I have changed the logon to include the NEW port. I have rebooted the W10 host and W7 remote client. I have tried different unused ports. The RDP logon always fails unable to locate.

Any ideas? Has anyone done this successfully in W10?

OldOldGuy, Aug 2, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

Changing RDP port after upgrade

I assume you're setting it to 443 in order to bypass firewall rules at work or school so you can remote to your home PC. This is a lot easier to set in your internet gateway/router if it supports it. Many GW/Firewalls have an option to specify the external and internal port of forwarded ports.

Have you verified that Remote Desktop is enabled? By default, it's off in 10 after an upgrade.

Mystere, Aug 2, 2015
  5. I've enabled and disabled a few times. It is clearly registering the change as netstat showed listening on 443. I've tried default as well with no luck.

vivithemage, Aug 2, 2015
  6. To add, I am running Windows 10 pro. Do I need to have remote assistance checked? If I recall, it was not, but I never thought that was a requirement before.

vivithemage, Aug 2, 2015
  7. Mystere Win User
    If you can see 443 is listening, and your windows firewall is off, then your problem is with your router. Perhaps your IP address changed (internal IP) and your router is no longer forwarding to the right IP.

Mystere, Aug 2, 2015
  8. Changing RDP port after upgrade

It responds to pings, resolves on hostname though. I have tried connecting based on IP and hostname for fun.

vivithemage, Aug 2, 2015
  9. Mystere Win User
    That's your external router responding to the ping, not your internal computer.

Mystere, Aug 2, 2015
  10. Hmmm, what? I checked my router's mac list, it is showing the right box still. This only started right after the upgrade to win 10.

vivithemage, Aug 2, 2015
  11. Mystere Win User
    What does your mac list have to do with anything? I'm talking about the port forwarding.

Mystere, Aug 2, 2015
  12. You said that was my external router responding to pings, and not my computer? My external router is hooked directly up to the computer in question. I unplug the ethernet, and it does not respond to pings. I said the MAC list on the router is correct, because I assumed you thought my router 10.10.5.1 didn't know where my server was, 10.10.5.20 (static).

vivithemage, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Changing RDP port after upgrade

1. Changing RDP port after upgrade - Similar Threads - Changing RDP port

2. Port forwarding for RDP over internet issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Port forwarding for RDP over internet issue: Hi all,I have been trying to setup port forwarding for RDP over internet. After google all the methods still unable to connect. Below are the methods I tried to debug the issue.1. I tried using the canyouseeme.org to check the port number, and it show the port is open. 2. I...
  3. Port forwarding for RDP over internet issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Port forwarding for RDP over internet issue: Hi all,I have been trying to setup port forwarding for RDP over internet. After google all the methods still unable to connect. Below are the methods I tried to debug the issue.1. I tried using the canyouseeme.org to check the port number, and it show the port is open. 2. I...
  4. Port forwarding for RDP over internet issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Cannot open Port 3389 RDP

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot open Port 3389 RDP: I have a new Win10 Home edition, McAfee LiveSafe V16. I have opened Port 3389 within McAfee, added check to Port 3389 and Port 135 as well as added add'l Port 3390 and 3389 to it. When I use netstat -an. I do NOT see Port 3389 listed. I have added to Control Panel,...
  6. Communications ports are changing after rebooting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Communications ports are changing after rebooting: After rebooting my computer, Windows 10 reset the communication ports (COMM Ports) settings. Then I go to the Device manager and change the position of COMM ports again. But after restarting the issue comes back. Is there a method to stop the COMM ports from changing...
  7. USB Ports Not Working After Upgrade to W10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Ports Not Working After Upgrade to W10: I have a computer here who's USB ports have stopped worked...mostly after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 The two on the front of the case dont work at all. And the 6 on the back of the machine work for some things but not for others. Mice, drawing tablets and...
  8. How to change RDP Port

How to change RDP Port: How to change RDP Port, from 3389 to another port. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/how-to-change-rdp-port/43fbb04d-6191-4bcb-beb9-75dc4d27f1ee
  9. RDP port 3389 stopped listening.

RDP port 3389 stopped listening.: RDP port 3389 just stopped listening after some of the updates, netstat -an command doesn't list it. Remote Desktop Service is displayed as Running, but Event Viewer has following error: Remote Desktop Service start failed. The relevant status code was 0x80070721. 43603
  10. After Windows 10 Upgrade RDP Keeps Disconnecting?

After Windows 10 Upgrade RDP Keeps Disconnecting?: Hi, I upgraded to Windows 10 on my home PC and now every time I connect to this PC from another PC I can use it for a bit and then all of a sudden it disconnects and when I try to log back in it then doesn't connect anymore. Then when I actually go to this PC again I...