Windows 10: Changing (reducing) a monitor's refresh rate?

Discus and support Changing (reducing) a monitor's refresh rate? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Is it safe to change a monitor's default refresh rate - in other words force it to run at a slower refresh rate. Mine has a default of 59Hz and I want... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by GregH, Oct 22, 2016.

1. GregH Win User

Changing (reducing) a monitor's refresh rate?

Is it safe to change a monitor's default refresh rate - in other words force it to run at a slower refresh rate. Mine has a default of 59Hz and I want to run it at 30Hz. It appears that I can do this in the nVidia driver software but I do not want to risk damage to the monitor. I would want to run at this slower refresh rate for several hours at a time.

:)

GregH, Oct 22, 2016
  2. Allan Mej Win User

Windows 10 does not connect to my TV

In the old times (cathode monitor era), you can change the refresh rate of your monitor. We could try reducing the refresh rate of your monitor, but there is a possibility that it will still not work. To reduce your monitor refresh rate, kindly follow these
    steps:

• Connect your TV to your PC.
    • Right-click in a blank space on the desktop.
    • Click Display settings and open Advanced display settings.
    • Click Display adapter properties.
    • Under the Monitor tab, choose your preferred screen refresh rate.

(Note: If only 60 Hertz is available, there is nothing more that we could do)

Let us know how things go.

Allan Mej, Oct 22, 2016
  3. rellmz Win User
    Second monitor I use has colors show up like rainbow static

I found a fix, here's a youtube video that solved it.

basically i had to change my nvidia monitor resolution settings and create a custom res, keep everything the same but under Timing change the standard to manual and reduce your refresh rate by .001 , in my case 60 to 59.999

rellmz, Oct 22, 2016
  4. Archie123 Win User

Its fine go for it , worst thing that will happen is youll get an "out of range " error , if thast happens it'll reset itself after 10 seconds , those errors only really pop up when you try to exceed the refresh rate so you should be good

Archie123, Oct 22, 2016
  5. eLPuSHeR Win User
    To achieve that you should use VSYNC option with half refresh rate.

I don't know why you want to do that but either case, you can get more finer control with a tool like nVidia Inspector (nVidia) or RadeonPro (AMD). Lots of options there, like frame cappers and such.

eLPuSHeR, Oct 23, 2016
  6. Archie123 Win User
    he doesnt need to use vsync or nvidia inspector

Archie123, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Changing (reducing) a monitor's refresh rate? - Similar Threads - Changing reducing monitor's

2. Monitor Refresh Rate/Hz

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor Refresh Rate/Hz: I got a really expensive monitor a few months ago and have kind of avoided a problem with changing the Hz. Now that I’m starting to notice it more, I figured it’s about time to get it fixed. Basically, whenever I try to change the refresh rate in settings, it says it had...
  3. Monitor Refresh Rate/Hz

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor Refresh Rate/Hz: I got a really expensive monitor a few months ago and have kind of avoided a problem with changing the Hz. Now that I’m starting to notice it more, I figured it’s about time to get it fixed. Basically, whenever I try to change the refresh rate in settings, it says it had...
  4. Windows Changing Refresh Rates of Monitors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Changing Refresh Rates of Monitors: I have been searching for an answer to this for days and keep striking out. I recently added a high refresh rate monitor to my setup (165 Hz) and when just that monitor is connected, it works at the expected 165 Hz. As soon as I connect a second display (60 Hz) the refresh...
  5. Cannot Change my Monitor's Refresh Rate

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot Change my Monitor's Refresh Rate: Hi, I recently bought a Samsung CRG50, and have been struggling to change its refresh rate for the last hour so. Within the advanced settings for the monitor, it won't allow me to change its refresh rate because I am not an admin. I've changed my account type on my pc to...
  6. Can't change monitor refresh rate

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't change monitor refresh rate: I have just bought a new 240hz monitor and whenever I try to change its refresh rate to anything higher or lower it goes black screen and reverts back to 60hz....
  7. Monitor Refresh Rate Keep changes from 144 Refresh rate to 60 Refresh rate after running a...

Monitor Refresh Rate Keep changes from 144 Refresh rate to 60 Refresh rate after running a...: Monitor Refresh Rate Keep changes from 144 Refresh rate to 60 Refresh rate after running CS:GO, I've set it to 144 Refresh rate in nvidia Control Panel it keeps changing back to 60 Refresh rate same thing in Advanced Display Settings changing it to 144 Refresh rate it does...
  8. Monitor refresh rate

Monitor refresh rate: Hello community, I have a question regarding the monitor hz. I have a laptop with a 144hz monitor and I want to reduce it to 120hz. But when I go to the monitor settings it shows two options: 144hz and 60hz. Why isn't there a 120hz option and how can I fix it?...
  9. Different refresh rates for monitors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Different refresh rates for monitors: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/7h9bnu/psafor_people_with_dual_monitors_with_different/ Has this even been fixed yet? Needs to be fixed especially for G-sync users "It's because of windows desktop manager. It always runs in vsync. On windows 7 you could...
  10. monitor refresh rate

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    monitor refresh rate: on windows 10, i am having trouble finding the monitor's refresh rate. i get an error message that says it should be 60Hz. 113436