Windows 10: Changing Standard user account to Administrator account

Discus and support Changing Standard user account to Administrator account in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Split from this thread. how do I change administrator on this ProBook s series. administrator passed away gave this laptop to me but cannot change... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by joe-davis, Nov 19, 2019.

1. joe-davis Win User

Changing Standard user account to Administrator account

Split from this thread.​

how do I change administrator on this ProBook s series. administrator passed away gave this laptop to me but cannot change from owner guest to administrator?

***Original title: How do I change administrator on this laptop?***

:)

joe-davis, Nov 19, 2019
  2. E-one Win User

Is there still reason to use standard user account in Windows OS?

Hi all!

Suppose I'm the only user of the computer. Suppose I have User Account Control activated. Is there or are there still reasons to create and use standard user account for everyday work? As far as I understand, with User Account Control active I have the permissions of a standard user even if I'm logged on as an administrator. If I use administrator account for everyday work does User Account Control give me EXACTLY the same level of protection from viruses and malware and from making accidental system-wide changes as standard user account with active UAC? I don't imply that UAC protects me from viruses and malware. I use proper antivirus software for that.

In other words, do I get the same level of protection when I use administrator account with UAC enabled and when I use standard account with UAC enabled? Is it true that UAC turns an administrator account into what is know as a protected administrator account, basically, an administrator account that runs with standard user account privileges? Or does standard user account with UAC enabled gives me yet higher level of protection over administrator account with UAC enabled?

E-one, Nov 19, 2019
  3. Edgar Pan Win User
    changing standard account to administrative account

Hi Kiran,

These changes cannot be made with a standard account. Since you changed the administrator account to a standard one, you will not be able to make any changes that affect other users on the computer.

If there is another administrator account on the computer, we suggest to login using that account and change your account to administrative account.

Follow the steps below on how to change your standard account to administrative account:

1. On the desktop, press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.

2. Click on User Accounts in Large Icons View.

3. Click on Manage another account.

4. Click on the standard account.

5. Click on Change Account Type and select Administrator.

6. Click on Change Account Type button and restart the computer.

Let us know how it goes.

Edgar Pan, Nov 19, 2019
  4. E-one Win User

Is there still reason to use standard user account in Windows OS?

Thanks to all for taking the trouble to share your opinion. I personally have always had two accounts on my computer – administrator for administrator actions and standard for everyday use. The reason I'm asking is that some legitimate modern programs still require administrative permissions to run them in standard user. I suspect that some legitimate modern programs are unable to install updates in standard user even with administrative permissions. And some programs have limited functionality in standard user account. Last but not least, it's an extra work to set up and administer two accounts for one user of the computer and it takes up more space (relevant for SSD). This is all quite annoying.

As I’m the only user of my computer my only concern is adequate virus protection. I'm well aware of all the everyday hazard associated with using the computer in this day and age. I know how to use and properly configure antivirus software and firewall. So what I’m trying to find an answer to is whether or not UAC turns an administrator account into what is known as a protected administrator account, basically, an administrator account that runs with standard user account privileges. And if not, how much of a benefit for me to use standard user account for everyday work considering that I frequently have to deal with some of my programs constantly requiring administrative permissions to run and some are unable to install updates even with elevated permissions [in standard account].

E-one, Nov 19, 2019
Thema:

1. Changing Standard user account to Administrator account - Similar Threads - Changing Standard user

2. how to change from administrator account to standard account

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to change from administrator account to standard account: I would like to change from an administrator account to a standard account. Is there a way to do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-from-administrator-account-to/429d068f-5f2e-484e-a2f1-c37592200845
  3. Unable to convert standard user account into an administrator account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to convert standard user account into an administrator account: I am not able to convert a standard user account into an administrative account due to which I'm not able to make changes in apps etc. Please help....
  4. Unable to convert standard user account into an administrator account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to convert standard user account into an administrator account: I am not able to convert a standard user account into an administrative account due to which I'm not able to make changes in apps etc. Please help....
  5. Unable to convert standard user account into an administrator account

6. Accidently changed administrator account to standard

Accidently changed administrator account to standard: I accidently changed my one and only administrator account to standard account. I tried most of the videos and ways in YouTube and other sites but they doesn't works. Plz help me ToT Windows 10...
  7. How to change a Standard user to Administrator account & vice versa

in Windows 10 News
    How to change a Standard user to Administrator account & vice versa: [ATTACH]Windows 10 users can operate their system as Administrators or Standard users. The main […] This article How to change a Standard user to Administrator account & vice versa first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. changing standard account to administrator account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    changing standard account to administrator account: by mistakely I have changed administrator account to standard account please help me to solve problem I cant finding any solutions for this...
  9. Changing a user account from standard to administration

Changing a user account from standard to administration: Yesterday as I was going through my laptop I happened to change my user account from administrator to standard and now i cant reverse it back to admin as it does not allow me to make the change. Please i really need help as i cannot install anything on my laptop....
  10. Change from standard account to administrator account

Change from standard account to administrator account: I was setting on my admin account to stardard account. Now I cannot install any program.. I don't have full control to my pc. Please tell me how to change back to orginal setting....