Windows 10: Changing system default language

Discus and support Changing system default language in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I got a windows10 edition in a specific language and I would like to change it to English. How can I do it? Will it become the original English... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RonTG, Nov 25, 2016.

1. RonTG Win User

Changing system default language

RonTG, Nov 25, 2016
  2. PA Bear - MS MVP, Nov 25, 2016
  3. Carl0s#2800, Nov 25, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

There are also Region settings and further downloads for Speech. Then there's the input language.

Cortana gets very upset if language settings don't match, and will complain. If there's a mismatch, you will find trying to search Settings gives an error sthg like 'Search results aren't quite complete yet- we're working on it'. How obscure is that.

MS should have done this, say, on a wizard basis instead of leaving users to deal with different aspects piecemeal.

dalchina, Nov 25, 2016
  5. RonTG Win User
    Do you know the complete to-do list for making a full transfer to English, as the original English version?
    by "input language" you mean what they describe in the link?

I thought windows 10 is built on a one-and-only english theme which is being translated to other language and sold as a "special" version. According to your answer can I assume this not the case??

RonTG, Nov 25, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Nov 25, 2016
  7. RonTG Win User
    Thank you!!
    except this, anything else to make it complete?

I have pro

I guess that deep system files that are not reachable to the user are already in English, right?

RonTG, Nov 25, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

A useful test is as I said to check Cortana works and search in Settings works. These don't depend on the keyboard settings (input language).

dalchina, Nov 25, 2016
  9. Adalwar Win User
    The Native OS Language,obviously will not be able to delete it fully.
    But you can run your OS in the Screen Languages and Keyb you like, more or less, seamless.
    Go to Control Panel>Languages
    Add a Language for Screen you like
    On Options for that language, add any Keyb input you need
    Move that Language to Top of languages listed
    go to advanced settings and select "Override" the languages for Display and Keyb input
    Select "Apply Language Settings to Welcome Screen, systgem accounts and new users"
    Reboot
    Now , go again to Control Panel > Languages and REMOVE any Screen Languages that you do not need. Also, go to active Selected Screen Language and remove any Keyb Input you do not need.
    That´s it.
    Native OS Language must remains, you can not delete it because it is a Backup in case of failure/Bad user choice, but as above described, you will not see the Native OS Language.
    This procedures are tested on W10 1607.351 and 1607.447

Adalwar, Nov 25, 2016
  10. Bastet Win User
    Check the last post in this thread: Solved Nov update failed. Media Creation Tool insists on USA not UK - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums I had the same problem with updates as this thread, I'm in the UK but after every upgrade I was reverted to US settings so had to change them back even though UK was set under every available place I could find on my pc, the solution in the post fixed it for me. I don't know which version of English you're after but it gives the code for UK & US, in this case default is US. I know you're not having problems with updates but thought that it may help if your pc isn't giving you the language you want even after changing the language default.

Bastet, Nov 25, 2016
  11. M4v3r1ck Win User
    I bought Windows 8 Pro x64 in The Netherlands back then and changed the GUI language to English - because I use a lot of English forums and don't like the translating when seeking help for issues - but not all in the GUI has changed to English. Now on Windows 10 Pro x64, but still not 100% GUI changed to English.

Greetz

M4v3r1ck, Nov 26, 2016
  12. Bree New Member
    I'm in the UK. My laptop was built for the UK market, but for some reason best known to Toshiba it came with the EN-US version of Windows 7 installed (even the version in the manufacturer's recovery partition was EN-US). When I got the free upgrade to 10240 it too was EN-US (you can only upgrade to the same language) so I then had to install the GB language packs. These of course were lost in the Fall Upgrade to 1511 because that too had to be an upgrade in EN-US.

However, once upgraded to 1511 EN-US I did a second upgrade install, this time using the EN-GB 1511 install media. Apparently though you have to use the same language to upgrade to a newer version if you want to keep your files and apps, you can then upgrade to the same version in another language and keep all your files and apps.

Come the anniversary update I could now upgrade with the EN-GB install media and all my language settings remained as I wanted them.

13. Bastet Win User

I couldn't understand why a laptop bought in the UK has a US version of Windows either, as stated I was changing language & settings back to EnUK after major updates, but after the above fix I downloaded the anniversary update with no change to language settings.

Bastet, Nov 26, 2016
  14. Kari Win User
    That is fundamentally so wrong and at the same time too important to multilingual users that it has to be corrected:

You can only in-place upgrade or repair install (in-place upgrade with same version and edition) keeping your installed software, settings and files with the same or newer version of Windows when the base language remains the same.

In other words, to give a few examples, you can always in-place upgrade or repair install an English (United States) Windows with English (United Kingdom) Windows install media, Portuguese (Portugal) Windows with Portuguese (Brazil) Windows install media, Swedish (Sweden) Windows with Swedish (Finland) Windows install media, French (Switzerland) Windows with French (France) Windows install media, and so on.

When base language remains the same but is not the same regional version, Windows Setup warns about changing from one regional version of the language to another within same base language, yet allows user to keep installed software, settings and files.

In example here a British English Windows 10 version 1607 build 14939 upgraded with US English Windows 10 Insider Build 14971 ISO image:

Changing system default language [​IMG]

I repeat: this option, to keep installed software, settings and files is only available if the current Windows installation has the same base language but different regional version of it than the install media used for in-place upgrade or repair install.

You can never in any circumstances do an in-place or repair install keeping your installed software and settings with the same or newer version of Windows when a base language changes. In some cases it is possible to keep personal files even in this case but all installed software and settings will always be lost.

For instance no regional version of English Windows can be in-place upgraded or repair installed with any regional version of French Windows install media and so on. When the base language of current Windows installation and install media used for in-place upgrade or repair install do not match, only option offered is to keep nothing.

15. RonTG Win User
    Well that sounds promising because I assume there is a general theme which is being "dressed" with the specific language needed. No way there are multi versions for each language.

"This is the solution you are talking about:
    I know this is an old thread but it is still relevant especially as the same thing will probably apply to the anniversary update due soon. I had exactly the same problem just recently. I have a Connect 10 Windows 10 tablet. I originally rolled back from 1511 to 10240 for various reasons but recently decided to try 1511 again and although every setting as with Fellwalker was set to UK the media creation tool insisted I had to use the US version if I wanted to keep my personal files and apps. After searching through countless complicated suggestions all over the internet I found the solution was ridiculously simple, so long as you don't mind using regedit. Just go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\Language . Scroll down the menu to the right until you come to "Default" which will read "0409". Change this to "0809". That's it! Now if you use the en-GB language media creation tool, lo and behold you have the option to keep personal files and apps."

What do you say guys, we got the magic solution?

RonTG, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Changing system default language - Similar Threads - Changing system default

2. Change Windows Default System UI Language

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Windows Default System UI Language: Yes, there are many of these types of posts here. But I tried most of the methods shown there but just failed.I accidentally installed the wrong Windows ISO when trying to do a repair upgrade and now I can't keep my apps kind of an inconvenience but I just wanted to do a...
  3. Change Windows Default System UI Language

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Windows Default System UI Language: Yes, there are many of these types of posts here. But I tried most of the methods shown there but just failed.I accidentally installed the wrong Windows ISO when trying to do a repair upgrade and now I can't keep my apps kind of an inconvenience but I just wanted to do a...
  4. How to change default system UI Language

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change default system UI Language: i want it in italian how can i fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-default-system-ui-language/f4b1520b-c31c-4993-af14-aba954338dc1
  5. How to change default system UI Language

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change default system UI Language: i want it in italian how can i fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-default-system-ui-language/f4b1520b-c31c-4993-af14-aba954338dc1
  6. How to change default system UI Language

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Change default system UI language

Change default system UI language: Hi. I want to change my default system UI language, but any method can't allow that. I tried everything i know about editing languages, but nothing changes the default system UI language.Windows Language Settings - Everywhere is English, but default system UI language is...
  8. How to change default system UI language

How to change default system UI language: Because of some reason, I need to change the default system UI language. Is there any way to change the language to what I want? Many thx! [ATTACH]...
  9. I need to change the default system language

I need to change the default system language: I bought a PC from a friend, it has Windows 10, but the PC has the language in Spanish and I need to change the default system language from Spanish to English...
  10. Change Default Language

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change Default Language: I was install the windows 10 pro with usb flash driver but the setup is choose no other option the language of Deutsch so I change the language in English. I no understood the deutsch language so please help me....