Windows 10: Changing the account I use to login to my Laptop and keeping settings.

Discus and support Changing the account I use to login to my Laptop and keeping settings. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I want to change the Microsoft account I use to login to my laptop. From what I have read I need to change to local login, then change back to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/spamthroat, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Changing the account I use to login to my Laptop and keeping settings.

I want to change the Microsoft account I use to login to my laptop. From what I have read I need to change to local login, then change back to Microsoft account login and use the new account for that.

The one bit of information I can not seem to find is does this keep all my settings / personalisation?

submitted by /u/spamthroat
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/spamthroat, Feb 20, 2021

2. Want to change Microsoft login account but keep settings, files, programmes etc.

Hello Sally,

Thank you for keeping us updated.

I suggest you to covert the Microsoft account into local account. Later login using newly created local account to create a different Microsoft account.

Step 1: To convert the account, you can do the following:

• Sign in to your Microsoft account on Windows 10.
    • Click Start and then PC settings.
    • Click Users and accounts and under Your Profile click Disconnect on the right of the screen.
    • Enter your Microsoft account's password, and click on Next.
    • Type in a Username, Password, and Password Hint that you want set for your Local account and click
      Next. Click on Sign out and Finish button.

Step 2: Create new Microsoft account

Refer: Sign in with a Microsoft account

Also, see: Microsoft accounts

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/microsoft-account-tutorial

Kindly let us know if you have any further query on Windows we are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Feb 20, 2021
  3. changing computer login screen email address

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience caused and will assist you.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>Account>Your Account.
    • In the right pane, click on Sign in with a local account instead.
    • Provide your current Microsoft Account Password.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.
    • You can leave the Enter Password option empty, however, it is highly recommended to keep a password on your system to keep it safe.
    After you have logged in with a local account follow the steps to login using a different Microsoft Account.

Hope the information is helpful. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Feb 20, 2021
  4. philc43 Win User

Changing the account I use to login to my Laptop and keeping settings.

Change username - result: two login accounts, delete 1 unable to login

Microsoft does indeed pick the first 5 characters of your email address when setting up a new Microsoft Account login. If you create a local account first you can specify the username you want and then change it to a Microsoft account later. In that way you will keep your original [AccountName] for the user folder.

Changing the [AccountName] is very difficult, I am not sure what you did in step 3 of your post but that is most certainly where things started to go wrong.

I hope I have understood your question properly.

philc43, Feb 20, 2021
Thema:

Changing the account I use to login to my Laptop and keeping settings.

1. Changing the account I use to login to my Laptop and keeping settings. - Similar Threads - Changing account login

2. Unable to login to my Win11 laptop using my recently changed Microsoft account password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to login to my Win11 laptop using my recently changed Microsoft account password: So recently I had a notice from Microsoft saying that my account is compromised and they asked my to change my password, which I then did. While I usually use Windows Hello fingerprint to login to my Win11 laptop, I just disabled the fingerprint features and opt to use...
  3. Unable to login to my Win11 laptop using my recently changed Microsoft account password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to login to my Win11 laptop using my recently changed Microsoft account password: So recently I had a notice from Microsoft saying that my account is compromised and they asked my to change my password, which I then did. While I usually use Windows Hello fingerprint to login to my Win11 laptop, I just disabled the fingerprint features and opt to use...
  4. I can't login to my laptop account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't login to my laptop account: I can't login https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-login-to-my-laptop-account/91376215-e4b2-4ee9-9758-6a6c73c431ff
  5. I can't login to my laptop account

I can't login to my laptop account: I can't login https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-login-to-my-laptop-account/91376215-e4b2-4ee9-9758-6a6c73c431ff
  6. How do I change the login account to my laptop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the login account to my laptop?: The email address associated with the login to my laptop is out of date and the Microsoft subscription has expired. I have a new Microsoft subscription with a different email address. Many thanks in advance....
  7. How do I change the login account to my laptop?

How do I change the login account to my laptop?: The email address associated with the login to my laptop is out of date and the Microsoft subscription has expired. I have a new Microsoft subscription with a different email address. Many thanks in advance....
  8. Change microsoft account used for PC login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change microsoft account used for PC login: Hello,I've two different Microsoft accounts and want to delete 1 of them.My Microsoft app activations e.g. Office2016 Pro are connected to Microsoft account 1.Since I can't transfer these activations to another Microsoft account Is this right ?, I suppose I have to keep...
  9. Change microsoft account used for PC login

Change microsoft account used for PC login: Hello,I've two different Microsoft accounts and want to delete 1 of them.My Microsoft app activations e.g. Office2016 Pro are connected to Microsoft account 1.Since I can't transfer these activations to another Microsoft account Is this right ?, I suppose I have to keep...
  10. Outlook keeps changing Account Settings

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook keeps changing Account Settings: I have Office 365. Outlook has twice in the last couple months changed the Account settings and specifically the servers thus causing unknown messages to be hung up and repeatedly to try and send. Its changing on its own, not sure how that is happening. When I manually try...