Windows 10: Changing the Default App for JPGs Doesn't Work

Discus and support Changing the Default App for JPGs Doesn't Work in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I re-installed Windows last week, and now the default for jpgs (in the "choose the apps by file type" section) but it refuses to change. It's set to I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by CarolSalmanson, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Changing the Default App for JPGs Doesn't Work

I re-installed Windows last week, and now the default for jpgs (in the "choose the apps by file type" section) but it refuses to change. It's set to I click on the plus-in-a-box and the list of apps appears, including Photoshop, which is what I want instead of Photos. Voila! Nothing happens, the plus-in-a-box is still there, and opening a jpg results in Photos opening.

I spend my life in Photoshop, and the right-click to open-with to Photoshop doesn't cut it. I've had no problems before. I bought this version from the Microsoft store in NYC last week (Nov 11, 2018).

Does anyone know how to fix this?

:)

CarolSalmanson, Nov 19, 2018

2. cannot change default app for jpg files

Hi KH,

Setting a default program or app to open a file doesn't restrict other apps or programs that support the same file type to open it. With your .jpg file opening with Photo viewer, it appears that Photo viewer is set as the default program. If you want to
    use the other program as the default .jpg viewer, then let's make sure that it's properly selected as the default program. Make sure to close both your Photo viewer and Irfranview apps first before doing the changes.

To associate a file type or protocol with a program, follow the steps below:

• Open Control Panel.
    • Click Programs, then Default Programs.
    • In the right pane, click Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
    • Locate and click .jpg extension and click the Change Program option in the upper left corner of the page.
    • Select the program or app you want .jpg file to open with. If the app you want to use doesn't appear under
      Other options, then click on More apps.
    • Once you've selected the app or program, click OK and then
      Close

Try opening a .jpg file and see if it opens with your selected app or program.

Let us know if you need further help regarding this matter.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Nov 19, 2018
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    preview pane not showing jpg

Hi,

Conflicts with the default program settings is one of the possible reasons why the preview pane for the .jpg files is not showing. To change the default app to open .jpg files, you can follow the steps below:

• Press the Windows key.
    • Type choose a default app for each type of file and press
      Enter
    • Locate .jpg and change the default program to Photos.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Nov 19, 2018
  4. Changing the Default App for JPGs Doesn't Work

opening .JPG with other the default app

I want to keep default..When you right click on a .jpg image the context menu

has an option of "open with" the app Smart pix manager does not appear nor does it show when you select "choose another app"

I want to add Smart Pix Manager app to that list but not change default

BIGBERN(2), Nov 19, 2018
Thema:

Changing the Default App for JPGs Doesn't Work

1. Changing the Default App for JPGs Doesn't Work - Similar Threads - Changing Default App

2. change "default app"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change "default app": I have just bought a new computer and moved from Win10 to Win11.I used a program on the Win10 D: drive, which when moved to the new computer became the Win11 G: drive. The program's data file contains much of the license data used to reinstall the programs in the old Win10...
  3. change "default app"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    change "default app": I have just bought a new computer and moved from Win10 to Win11.I used a program on the Win10 D: drive, which when moved to the new computer became the Win11 G: drive. The program's data file contains much of the license data used to reinstall the programs in the old Win10...
  4. Changing default app to open .osz file doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing default app to open .osz file doesn't work: I moved an executable to a different location, which broke trying to open .osz files with the executable, so I tried to set the default app to the new location in the executable but it doesn't work and still uses the old location. The old location is window's "suggested app"...
  5. Changing default app to open .osz file doesn't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing default app to open .osz file doesn't work: I moved an executable to a different location, which broke trying to open .osz files with the executable, so I tried to set the default app to the new location in the executable but it doesn't work and still uses the old location. The old location is window's "suggested app"...
  6. Change to NO default App

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change to NO default App: for HTT files windows has Robohelp as the default program. I did this. I want to change it to NOTHING. I don't want windows to choose any app for HTT file types. Currently when in Robohelp, if I try to open an .htt file, windows opens a new instance of the application....
  7. Changing default apps

Changing default apps: I have a old MS word program2010that I own and works well on my Win 10 pc. When I open any doc the default program or app is the one that came with the the Win 10 PC, which you have to activate and purchase. Im perfectly happy with my old version. When I go to change it in...
  8. Default App change

Default App change: Windows 10 does not appear to give me the ability to change my browser default. The current comments I'm reading seem to confirm this. Is it true? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-app-change/308c282c-6769-4cd6-bef7-d3d46ade53f7
  9. Changing default app not working

Changing default app not working: I installed Windows 10 Education 1803, and installed Notepad++, which is in my opinion, a far better Notepad. So I changed XML, TXT and other types of files' defaults to Notepad++. However, no matter what, they'll always open with their stock Notepad (or WordPad for XML...
  10. changing default apps

changing default apps: I cannot change twinui as default app for videos or photos I turned off screen lock and now I can change default to playing music but when I try change default app for photos or videos the window just closes...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. default app dont work