Windows 10: Changing the default picker

Discus and support Changing the default picker in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; To be completely clear about which one I mean, it's this. It's awfully outdated, maybe older than me, and very painful to use. I've seen the color... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by outasi, Jan 30, 2019.

1. outasi Win User

Changing the default picker

To be completely clear about which one I mean, it's this.

It's awfully outdated, maybe older than me, and very painful to use. I've seen the color pickers for some linux distros and would like to change the default one. I've seen answers on this site that apparently you can do it, BUT NO ONE SAID WHAT THE OPTIONS ARE.

I have googled it and came with nothing out of it, so is it really possible to change the default color picker? And if it is, what's one of the options?

:)

outasi, Jan 30, 2019

2. Change How Folders Open By Default (My laptop keeps using CMD)

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. I suggest you to set File Explorer as the Default program and check if that helps. To do this, refer the steps given below.

• Open Control Panel.
    • Search for Default Programs.
    • Go to Default Programs.
    • Look for File Explorer towards the left pane and select it.
    • Set this as default program and apply changes.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps.

Arvind Ram, Jan 30, 2019
  3. Jerry8A Win User
    Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Jan 30, 2019
  4. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Changing the default picker :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Jan 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Changing the default picker - Similar Threads - Changing default picker

2. FIle UI Picker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FIle UI Picker: Hello, My File picker has an issues. Every time i am trying to upload a file on WhatsApp, there application does not display the files and does not respond. I have to close the app using task manager. Kindly assist me....
  3. Can Windows character picker default tab be customised?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can Windows character picker default tab be customised?: I often use windows character picker can be called using Win-. and always for inserting unicode characters missing on a keyboard. I never use it for emojis or gifs.When I open character picker I always have a favorites tab opened where emojis, gifs etc. goes on top though no...
  4. Can Windows character picker default tab be customised?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can Windows character picker default tab be customised?: I often use windows character picker can be called using Win-. and always for inserting unicode characters missing on a keyboard. I never use it for emojis or gifs.When I open character picker I always have a favorites tab opened where emojis, gifs etc. goes on top though no...
  5. New app picker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New app picker: Help me!!!i downloaded and installed the latest version of windows 11 in the insider program. Even so, I still don't have the new app menu feature new app picker , while other features still work4/9/2022...
  6. New app picker

New app picker: Help me!!!i downloaded and installed the latest version of windows 11 in the insider program. Even so, I still don't have the new app menu feature new app picker , while other features still work4/9/2022...
  7. color picker

in Windows 10 Customization
    color picker: hello, It will be very usefull to have a windows tool with we could select a colour to have its hexdecimal code, or to pick the color into the clipboard to use in the apps. Samuel...
  8. picker host not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    picker host not working: picker host not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/picker-host-not-working/900b4760-01b9-4416-abb6-66f3f2d2c461
  9. Color picker

Color picker: Hi, is there a color picker tool in Fresh Paint or Paint 3D to pick an existing color on the photo and place that color on another area of the photo? Thanks much. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/color-picker/e26e9e01-706c-4593-be3c-5cbe54883c40
  10. changing a default

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    changing a default: How do I change the default back to ,pdf https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/changing-a-default/a3d87691-bd9d-4c16-b3d9-fd3eff8aaa3e

Users found this page by searching for:

1. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/picker-host-not-working/900b4760-01b9-4416-abb6-66f3f2d2c461