Windows 10: Changing the default View of files from "Details" to "List" in the "Save As" window of File...

Discus and support Changing the default View of files from "Details" to "List" in the "Save As" window of File... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I already know how to change the View of folders and files in a File Explorer window. I always choose "List." I also know how to then apply make the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DavidRubin3, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Changing the default View of files from "Details" to "List" in the "Save As" window of File...

I already know how to change the View of folders and files in a File Explorer window. I always choose "List." I also know how to then apply make the default that same "List" View to all similar File Explorer windows. However, when I'm saving a document to my PC via the "Save As" window of File Explorer, the "List" View I applied chose earlier for my folders and files in a regular File Explorer windows is not the same default View of the "Save As" window. Instead, the "Save As" window's View defaults to "Details,", which spreads it entirely across the page preventing me from even reading it. Furthermore, when I change the View of the "Save As" window prior to saving a document to my PC, there's no option to make it the default View of the "Save As" window for when I'm saving documents in the future. Also, the View I select for the "Save As" window isn't even remembered by Windows 10, meaning that I have to change the View of the "Save As" window from "Details" to "List" at least 4 or 5 times in a row as I move deeper and deeper into a folder until I reach the subfolder I'm going to save my document in. Multiply this by the number of documents I save on a daily basis, and I'm having to change the View of the "Save As" File Explorer window about 50 times per day. This is a ridiculous waste of time, negating the value of using File Explorer to begin with. Why does the View setting in the "Save As" Window appear to operate independently of the default View setting of the other File Explorer windows? There's probably something I'm not aware of, so I'd greatly appreciate your feedback, as I'm sure thousands of other Windows users would also. Thanks very much. Sincerely, David

:)

DavidRubin3, Nov 12, 2020

2. Set default in File Explorer to List View in Windows 10

Here's how to change the default view for all folders of the same type (e.g. Documents)

1. First, change the layout to any folder of the Document-type to List View.
    2. Then open the "Change folder and search options" (in the View tab on the explorer window), then go to the view tab there.
    3. Finally choose "Apply to folders." Click Yes, and the List View will then be applied to all folders of the same type
    Picture-type folders will not be affected by changes made to other folder types.

GamertagCC, Nov 12, 2020
  3. Tatty_One Win User
    Saves log files ?

You can either read the files in Windows or my preferred method is.....

Download CCcleaner from here...........

CCleaner Professional | Try the world’s most trusted PC cleaner, free!

You can then run cleaner, you will see the log files listed, then if you right click you can save as a text file and then have a read. You may also get an "error reporting" log listed seperatly.

Tatty_One, Nov 12, 2020
  4. Changing the default View of files from "Details" to "List" in the "Save As" window of File...

Want to change File Explorer default View from "Details" to "List"

There are default views for each folder type (General, Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos)

To change the default view, navigate to the User folder of that type
    Arrange the view how you want it (list, details, columns, sort .... )
    Press the BLUE File menu
    Select options
    Press the view tab
    Press the Apply to Folders button

Changing the default View of files from "Details" to "List" in the "Save As" window of File... [​IMG]

This only applies your preferences to folders of that type - it does not affect folders of other types.

Follow the same procedure for all folder types that you want to change.

Navigate to your Downloads folder to set your preferences on a General folder type.

Close File Explorer

Test if the changes stuck. You might have to restart Windows Exlporer
    Task manager
    Scroll down to Explorer
    press the restart button in the lower right

Test to see if the changes stuck

Slartybart, Nov 12, 2020
Thema:

Changing the default View of files from "Details" to "List" in the "Save As" window of File...

1. Changing the default View of files from "Details" to "List" in the "Save As" window of File... - Similar Threads - Changing default View

2. Changing desktop view to list or details not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing desktop view to list or details not working: I cannot get my desktop files to display in a list or details view. Ctrl+Shift+1 through 4 does work. The icons change from small to large.But Ctrl+Shift+5 through 9 does not work. I cannot get a list view or a details view.I'm using the numbers above the letter keys. The...
  3. how the **** do you change the Windows "11" file Explorer Default view from "Details" to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how the **** do you change the Windows "11" file Explorer Default view from "Details" to...: this was a feature on the last three versions of windows and i cannot for the life of me figure out how to change the default on WINDOWS 11 I KNOW HOW TO DO IT ON WINDOWS 10 IM LOOKING FOR HELP IN WINDOWS 11 NOT WINDOWS 10. i have thousands of files and i cannot navigate them...
  4. how the **** do you change the Windows "11" file Explorer Default view from "Details" to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how the **** do you change the Windows "11" file Explorer Default view from "Details" to...: this was a feature on the last three versions of windows and i cannot for the life of me figure out how to change the default on WINDOWS 11 I KNOW HOW TO DO IT ON WINDOWS 10 IM LOOKING FOR HELP IN WINDOWS 11 NOT WINDOWS 10. i have thousands of files and i cannot navigate them...
  5. Change the File Explorer default view of files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change the File Explorer default view of files: Sorry to ask what I am sure is a simple question, but I have searched the internet, and nothing I tried works, or if it seems to work, then after I reboot, the old default return. Specifically, whenever I open Windows 10 File Explorer and click on a folder, the files are...
  6. Set default in File Explorer to List or Details View in Windows 10

Set default in File Explorer to List or Details View in Windows 10: On my computer, File Explorer in Windows 10 defaults to the icons view. That is useful sometimes, but by default, I want File Explorer to permanently open documents to List View except for Pictures. How can I set the default view to List View?By default, when I open File...
  7. Add details to files in the detail view

Add details to files in the detail view: Hello. I have a folder, "Invoices," that has a few different file types in it. The files are invoices that I get from vendors, normally as email attachments. I have over 100 vendors and I get the invoices as PDF's, Excel, or Word. I drag and drop the email attachment to...
  8. Change the Default Search View to Detail View (not Content View)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change the Default Search View to Detail View (not Content View): When I do a search, I want the default view of the results to be the detailed view. How do I change the default? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-default-search-view-to-detail-view-not/8d2eb719-0ee7-466c-87c5-30878be8656f
  9. Want to change File Explorer default View from "Details" to "List"

in Windows 10 Support
    Want to change File Explorer default View from "Details" to "List": Hi all, I have been searching the web for an answer to this question since first getting Windows 10 last year. I would like my File Explorer to open using the "List" view rather than the current default of "Details". I have seen many responses that reference how to change...
  10. Making "list" default view for file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Making "list" default view for file explorer: How can I make the file explorer always use "list" view when opening files and folders? Thanks 65271