Windows 10: Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.

Discus and support Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently performed a custom installation of Windows to get rid of another problem I was having. It left a SYSTEM D: drive in my files that I can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Harry K_402, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.

I recently performed a custom installation of Windows to get rid of another problem I was having. It left a SYSTEM D: drive in my files that I can't access. When I tried to plugged in my external hard drive, it defaulted to an E: drive letter. This messed with some paths for other programs I had on my external drive, and rather than try to manually change them all, I tried to change the E: back into D:, but disk manager won't let me. Is it possible for me to change the SYSTEM D: into another drive letter?

:)

Harry K_402, Jan 9, 2023
  2. Batou1986 Win User

Change partition as system and to drive C

you cant change the drive letter of the system drive in windows.

Batou1986, Jan 10, 2023
  3. Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.

Hi Harry,

I'm Rodrigo and I will help you.

The drive letter was associated to another removable device you plugged to your computer, to release this drive letter to able to associate it to your drive, on the Start Menu, type regedit and open the Registry Editor.

On the Registry Editor go to the following key (you can copy and paste the path on the address bar):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

You will see a list like this:

Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition. 7afc20ea-b1d4-4f2a-a103-e9704374fb19?upload=true.png

Right click the value with D: > Rename > Change D: to another letter > Press Enter to save

Restart the computer to apply the changes. Now you will be able to assign D: to your drive.

Rodrigo.Queiroz, Jan 10, 2023
  4. Arun B J Win User

Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.

Problem with letter drives confusing Sony Vegas

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Open Disk Management (press [Win] +[R], type "diskmgmt.msc", and press [Enter]).
    • In the lower pane, right-click on the partition that you want to change drive letter, and click "Change Drive Letter and Paths"
    • A dialog should come up, showing the partition's current drive letter. Even if it is correct, click [Change].
    • From the dropdown, select any new letter, and then [OK] your way back to Disk Management. And check if it helps.

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Arun B J, Jan 10, 2023
Thema:

Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.

1. Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition. - Similar Threads - Changing Drive Letter

2. Partition drive letter disappears!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partition drive letter disappears!: I have a new laptop with Windows 11 installed. I created a partition and assigned it the drive letter Z. Sometimes after rebooting, or after waking up the drive letter simply disappears, the partition name is there but not the letter. The partition is fine, I have to reassign...
  3. Partition drive letter disappears!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partition drive letter disappears!: I have a new laptop with Windows 11 installed. I created a partition and assigned it the drive letter Z. Sometimes after rebooting, or after waking up the drive letter simply disappears, the partition name is there but not the letter. The partition is fine, I have to reassign...
  4. Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.: I recently performed a custom installation of Windows to get rid of another problem I was having. It left a SYSTEM D: drive in my files that I can't access. When I tried to plugged in my external hard drive, it defaulted to an E: drive letter. This messed with some paths for...
  5. Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.: I recently performed a custom installation of Windows to get rid of another problem I was having. It left a SYSTEM D: drive in my files that I can't access. When I tried to plugged in my external hard drive, it defaulted to an E: drive letter. This messed with some paths for...
  6. Cannot change unallocated space into partition with drive letter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot change unallocated space into partition with drive letter: I want to create a new partition inside Windows 21H1 for a new Macrium backup until I can later get a large enough USB stick (in addition: I want both internal and external storage). I did take some unallocated space from C:/ -- cannot have storage destination in C.\ or any...
  7. Cannot change unallocated space into partition with drive letter

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot change unallocated space into partition with drive letter: I want to create a new partition inside Windows 21H1 for a new Macrium backup until I can later get a large enough USB stick (in addition: I want both internal and external storage). I did take some unallocated space from C:/ -- cannot have storage destination in C.\ or any...
  8. Changing/Adding the letter assigned to system partition

Changing/Adding the letter assigned to system partition: I wanted to activate BitLocker on C: partition....But when I tried, I got this message: "BitLocker Setup requires the drive file system to be NTFS. Convert the file system and run BitLocker Setup again." This is how my drives look like: (C) - Simple -Basic - NTFS -...
  9. Partition Letter Change

Partition Letter Change: When partition magic was available you could change a partition letter where you had installed your programs to another (example Programs on G:\ partition would change it to D:\ (if available)) and change the register entries. Is there a program that will change the partition...
  10. Drive letter for EFI system partition?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Drive letter for EFI system partition?: In Macrium Reflect (free), a Dell Optiplex 3046 running 6.3.1835 on Win 10 64 Pro, returns a Cluster run error Cluster run short error 21 when performing a backup that includes the EFI system partition. Macrium's suggested solution is to assign a drive letter to that...