Windows 10: Changing the local admin name

Discus and support Changing the local admin name in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi guys, I need some help with my local admin name. I am handing off my Lenovo T530 to my friend. I have deleted anything personal and only have W10... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Gerd, May 4, 2021.

1. Gerd Win User

Changing the local admin name

Hi guys, I need some help with my local admin name. I am handing off my Lenovo T530 to my friend. I have deleted anything personal and only have W10 (20H2) with latest updates left. I went into the control panel and changed the name of my local admin account to my friends name. However, when displaying the windows directories -> Users, I still see my name. And more, when i change the password with alt Ctl del I also still see my name. How can I change both to my friends name? Thanks for any suggestion.

:)

Gerd, May 4, 2021

2. Change the user name in Windows 10

Hi Rick,

Thank you for writing us back.

Are both the accounts are admin account?

I would suggest you to go through the below steps:

Steps: To determine the user account type:

• Login to any account.

• Press Windows key+X.

• Click on Control Panel.

• Click on User accounts.

• Your user account will show and below that it will show your local account or admin account.

• Once you know about the account type.

• You can go to user account and change the name.

• Press Windows key+R.

• Type netplwiz and press enter.

• Select the account and click on properties.

• Change the user name and click on apply and then ok and one more time click on ok on the main screen.

• Reboot the computer and check if it helps

I hope this helps. Please post back with the status of the issue and we will be glad to assist you further.

Shubham Chaubey, May 4, 2021
  3. Ian Ser Win User
    Local administrator windows 10 user and folder name change (full change)

Hi Shaaddi,

Have you made sure that the account currently logged-in to has Administrator privileges? You can verify this by following these steps:

• Press Windows key + I on your keyboard and click Accounts.
    • Click Your info on the left pane.
    • Under your account picture, you can see if the account is a Local Admin.

If the account is not an Admin account, we suggest making one and try to transfer the files from there. Here's an
    article for a guide on how to create a local user
    or admin account in Windows 10.

Update us if the issue is resolved.

Ian Ser, May 4, 2021
  4. Changing the local admin name

Query about changing the account name

Hi Stephanie,

Since you have already changed the name on your Microsoft account, we suggest switching into a local account, and then log back in with your Microsoft account. This way, we can be sure that any changes made to your Microsoft account will be synced to your
    local user account.

For steps on how to switch to a local account:

• Click on Start.
    • Click on Settings.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Under Your account, click on Switch to a local account.

To switch back to a Microsoft account:

• Follow steps 1-3 above to get to Accounts.
    • Under Your account, click on Sign in with a Microsoft account instead.

If the issue persists, please do not hesitate to get back to us.

Patricia Yu, May 4, 2021
Thema:

Changing the local admin name

1. Changing the local admin name - Similar Threads - Changing local admin

2. Changing a name on an Admin file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing a name on an Admin file?: I have an Admin account on my Windows 11 system that has the wrong spelling for the username. Its the only account on the Microsoft account. Is there a way to change the folder name? i cant "change name" like you can with normal files, and its re-appearing every time I...
  3. Changing a name on an Admin file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing a name on an Admin file?: I have an Admin account on my Windows 11 system that has the wrong spelling for the username. Its the only account on the Microsoft account. Is there a way to change the folder name? i cant "change name" like you can with normal files, and its re-appearing every time I...
  4. Cannot change build in admin name/login name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot change build in admin name/login name: Hi, I am having trouble changing the admin name /login name as a build in user. I have tried all four ways advised online for changing the name and nothing seemed to work. Is there an alternative way or is it not possible?...
  5. Issues with local account changed from local admin to guest

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issues with local account changed from local admin to guest: I wonder if you will be able to advise on the following issue:. I have recently changed the local user profile from admin to guest. The user can no longer see things saved to the desktop and to his local machine , favorite tabs in chrome are missing and he can no longer...
  6. change name of "local user"

change name of "local user": On my laptop windows 10 I am called "local user" how can I change this to my name? I know it's petty but I hate it! simple directions pretty please :- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-name-of-local-user/d800757d-ee90-454b-9c52-5af36779d1cd
  7. change admin user name

change admin user name: how do i change my admin user name https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-admin-user-name/885ba043-3624-4cd3-a6ce-ca4611f14424
  8. Local Admin account settings keep changing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Local Admin account settings keep changing: Hi There, On some of our computers running Windows 10 the local admin keeps asking for a change of password even though we select the option for the password to never expire. Has anyone else experienced this?...
  9. How to change admin user name

How to change admin user name: I have given a temporary name to the admin user during the setup of Windows 10 to a new PC. Now, I want to change this user name. In settings, I was not able too find a way for the admin name. How to change the name of this admin user?...
  10. Admin Directory Name Change

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Admin Directory Name Change: I'm using Windows 10 Home edition. I have two folders in the Windows/Users directory: "Public" and "WARNE". I want to change the name of the "WARNE" folder... I'm having no luck finding out how to do this... Please help... Thanks!...