Windows 10: changing the location of documents to onedrive on multiple machines

Discus and support changing the location of documents to onedrive on multiple machines in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am setting up a new win10 machine virgin I wish to use onedrive to synch with local cache Documents, Desktop, Pictures, and Downloads between the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lee_1959, Dec 19, 2019.

1. lee_1959 Win User

changing the location of documents to onedrive on multiple machines

I am setting up a new win10 machine virgin

I wish to use onedrive to synch with local cache Documents, Desktop, Pictures, and Downloads between the new machine and an existing SurfaceBook

I cannot change the location of Documents on the populated machine SurfaceBook as while processing the ~ 500 gB of data, an error is thrown regarding an invalid file name. The directory structure of the Surface book is created in OneDrive, but files are not migrated.

I assume I need to migrate the Documents folder by folder via Move from users\me\documents\folder to onedrive\documents\folder until I find the bad actor and then repair it.

The question is: once I have moved the contents of users\me\documents to onedrive\documents, can I then change the location of the 'empty' users\me\documents to the 'full' onedrive\documents, or will that second 'change location' operation delete the onedrive?

:)

lee_1959, Dec 19, 2019

2. Document Library hijacked by OneDrive after update

This issue may be due to an incorrect location target. To correct this, kindly follow these steps:

• Right click the Documents folder where OneDrive files are showing.
    • Select Properties, and then Location. Yours might look like this:
      C:\Users\Your username\OneDrive\Documents.
    • If this is the case, you will need to create a new folder, select all the OneDrive files in the
      Documents folder, and then change its location to transfer it to the created folder.
    • After emptying the Documents folder, right click it and change the location to:
      C:\Users\Your username\Documents.

Feel free to post back should you need any help with Windows.

Dennis Mop, Dec 19, 2019
  3. Save images/documents to my computer WITHOUT OneDrive being in the link

We suggest that you change the Auto Save location to This PC only in OneDrive settings. To do so, follow these steps:

If the OneDrive available in the taskbar, follow these steps:

• On the right-hand corner at the bottom part beside time and date, click the up arrow to get the OneDrive icon and then right-click on it and then select
      Settings. Like the image shown below:
    • Go to the Auto Save tab, Change the Documents
      and Pictures location to This PC only and then make sure there no tick for
      Photos and videos and also for Screenshots. Like what’s shown below:
    • Click OK to apply the changes.
    • Go back to step 1, go to the Account tab and click the
      Unlink OneDrive
    • Follow the step 1 once again and select Exit.

If the OneDrive is no longer available in the taskbar, follow these steps:

• Click the Start menu and type in OneDrive and then select the first result.
    • Sign in with your Microsoft account associated with your OneDrive and then follow the instructions to complete the login.
    • On the right-hand corner at the bottom part beside time and date, click the up arrow to get the OneDrive icon and then right-click on it and then select
      Settings. Like the image shown below:
    • Go to the Auto Save tab, Change the Documents
      and Pictures location to This PC only and then make sure there no tick for
      Photos and videos and also for Screenshots. Like what’s shown below:
    • Click OK to apply the changes.
    • Go back to step 1, go to the Account tab and click the
      Unlink OneDrive
    • Follow the step 1 once again and select Exit.

Let us know the result of your troubleshooting.

Genevieve Cri, Dec 19, 2019
  4. changing the location of documents to onedrive on multiple machines

Location on Documents folder and Pictures folder has been changed to OneDrive

Instead of unlinking and uninstalling OneDrive, you probably should just change its auto save behavior.

Use the OneDrive app settings to change where your files are saved by default.

In the Notifications area at the bottom of your Windows screen, right-click the OneDrive icon and click Settings. You might have to click Show hidden icons to find OneDrive.

In the Settings box, on the Auto save tab, under Documents and Pictures, click the list at Documents or Pictures and pick the default save location you want.

This PC only - When you create a file, the Documents or Pictures folder under This PC is the first-choice location offered to save it. The file is not saved to OneDrive unless you do so separately, and it is available only on the PC you used to save it.

OneDrive - When you create a file, the first location offered is within the Documents or Pictures folder under OneDrive. Because these folders sync to your PC, files you save there are available on your PC, even when it's not connected to the Internet. And
    you can use any device with an Internet connection to access your files.

Note: No matter which default setting you choose, you still can select the save location you want each time you save a file. When you click Save for new files or Save As for existing files, click OneDrive or This PC and then pick a folder to save your file
    to.

Find and move your files

The Documents and Pictures folders exist in both This PC and OneDrive, which might make them easy to mix up. If you've mistakenly saved a file - for example, you save a file to the Documents folder in your PC instead of the Documents folder in OneDrive, use
    File Explorer or the OneDrive app to drag the files where you want them.

From the Start menu, click the OneDrive tile to open the OneDrive app built into File Explorer.

In the file list on the right, browse to find the file you want to move, and drag it to the correct folder in the folder list on the left.

Andre Da Costa, Dec 19, 2019
Thema:

changing the location of documents to onedrive on multiple machines

1. changing the location of documents to onedrive on multiple machines - Similar Threads - changing location documents

2. desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive: Hi all,Recently I have played with onedrive big mistake in my windows 11 laptop and accidently caused a lot of issues. After 3 hours, I have fixed most but one problem.My issue now is, the pictures folder, documents and desktop folder are all now saved into the...
  3. desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive: Hi all,Recently I have played with onedrive big mistake in my windows 11 laptop and accidently caused a lot of issues. After 3 hours, I have fixed most but one problem.My issue now is, the pictures folder, documents and desktop folder are all now saved into the...
  4. OneDrive location changes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive location changes: Why does the location for OneDrive keep changing? I set the GPS location for my address, but no help keeping location the same. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-location-changes/3b403250-be65-4311-947e-5db263330687
  5. OneDrive location changes

OneDrive location changes: Why does the location for OneDrive keep changing? I set the GPS location for my address, but no help keeping location the same. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-location-changes/3b403250-be65-4311-947e-5db263330687
  6. Change default windows documents location from OneDrive\Documents to User\Documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change default windows documents location from OneDrive\Documents to User\Documents: I unfortunately set this up when I installed windows to save my Documents to OneDrive unknowingly that instead of syncing my actual documents it creates and changes the default documents folder to a OneDrive folder. How do I undo this?This...
  7. Unable to change Documents Location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to change Documents Location: My Documents folder is currently mapped to a network attached storage drive that has been decommissioned. When I select Properties on the Documents folder and choose the Locations tab, I am unable to edit the path in the text field. In addition, the Restore Default, Move...
  8. Changing Documents location

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Documents location: Following Microsoft instructions, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/310746/configuration-of-the-my-documents-folder, last updated in April of 2017 and then looking at their instructions on how you can actually still do this in a new 2019 instruction piece,...
  9. Changing OneDrive download location

Changing OneDrive download location: Before using OneDrive all my data files were held on a seperate partition ion E: drive. I have now stored the main folders (eg Documents, Photographs, Spreadsheets) on OneDrive and now realise that as well as offline they are held in C: Users/Chris. Can I alter it so that...
  10. Documents Location Changed But Property Location Is Correct - ???

in Windows 10 Support
    Documents Location Changed But Property Location Is Correct - ???: Greetings! I tried to search for posts on my issue but all that comes up is advice on how to move your Documents folder. I already did that. I changed my location from my SSD C:\ drive to my data drive E:\. Everything seemed fine until today when I navigated to the E: drive...