Windows 10: Changing the Owner of Windows PowerShell folder from TrustedInstaller

Discus and support Changing the Owner of Windows PowerShell folder from TrustedInstaller in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently purchased a Dell XPS 8940 desktop and installed Windows version 20H2 on it. After copying the "Windows PowerShell" folder---because Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by devnull, Mar 29, 2021.

1. devnull Win User

Changing the Owner of Windows PowerShell folder from TrustedInstaller

I recently purchased a Dell XPS 8940 desktop and installed Windows version 20H2 on it. After copying the "Windows PowerShell" folder---because Windows wouldn't let me move the original---so that I could move the copy to a new user folder of my choice, I have the original "Windows PowerShell" folder still on my desktop.

Though my _copy_ of the "Windows PowerShell" folder has the usual sort of permissions (SYSTEM, users, Administrators), the _original_ folder's permissions are special ones, such as "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES", "ALL RESTRICTED APPLICATION PACKAGES", and "TrustedInstaller", which is also the Owner.

In the past, after making a copy with normal permissions, I've somehow successfully deleted this original "Windows PowerShell" folder, and I'd like to delete it again now, but first I have the following questions:

• Although I've not experienced any trouble in the past from doing it, is it a bad idea to delete the original "Windows PowerShell" folder, which has those special permissions entries and the TrustedInstaller as the Owner?
    • If it's OK to delete the original "Windows PowerShell" folder, would the best way to do that be to take ownership of it, away from TrustedInstaller? I've tried deleting it in the usual way, but despite the fact that I'm an Admin account, Windows is preventing me ("Folder Access Denied") from doing it, and I'm unable to change any of the permissions in the usual way that would enable me to delete it.

Thanks for any advice.

:)

devnull, Mar 29, 2021
  2. Anna Bol Win User

TrustedInstaller, Windows 10, winSAT

Hi Ron,

To help resolve your concern, you have to first take ownership of the files or folders and then grant yourself full
    control permissions and rights. To do so, follow the steps on this link:

• Open
      File Explorer
      and then locate the file or folder you want to take ownership of.

• Right-click the file or folder, click
      Properties and then select
      Security
      tab.

• Click the
      Advanced
      button and the
      Advanced Security Settings
      window will appear. You need to change the Owner of the key. Click the
      Change link
      next to the "Owner:" label

• The
      Select User or Group window will appear. Type "NT Service\TrustedInstaller"
      as the new owner name.

• Click
      OK to change the ownership and you are done.

Let us know how it goes.

Anna Bol, Mar 29, 2021
  3. NT SERVICE/TrustedInstaller - Can't change owner/Error message

Hi F.Grobusch,

It is still displaying with - unable to display current owner. Should it be saying TrustedInstaller.

It seems the files have transferred back under TrustedInstaller. Can't be sure as I can't access the folder and don't want to change anything else.

Thanks

pinkraven22, Mar 29, 2021
  4. Changing the Owner of Windows PowerShell folder from TrustedInstaller

Only "New folder" in contextual menu

Cyril,

In short:

Change ownership of Program Files (x86) from TrustedInstaller to Administrators or your user account.

Add your user account to the list, and add "Modify" or "Full control" permissions. (choose - This folder only)

Reset the owner to TrustedInstaller (NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller)

Can't post the exact steps for Windows 10 right now.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Mar 29, 2021
Thema:

Changing the Owner of Windows PowerShell folder from TrustedInstaller

1. Changing the Owner of Windows PowerShell folder from TrustedInstaller - Similar Threads - Changing Owner PowerShell

2. Need permission from owner to make changes to this folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need permission from owner to make changes to this folder: When I try to delete a folder, it says I need permission from [OWNER], but when I change the owner, it still says I need permission from the owner but it changes to whatever I changed the owner to. I’ve changed the owner to administrators and everyone, but it just doesn’t...
  3. Need permission from owner to make changes to this folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need permission from owner to make changes to this folder: When I try to delete a folder, it says I need permission from [OWNER], but when I change the owner, it still says I need permission from the owner but it changes to whatever I changed the owner to. I’ve changed the owner to administrators and everyone, but it just doesn’t...
  4. Cannot change owner of folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot change owner of folder: Hi, when I try to enter the Windows Defender Scan folder it says I have been denied access to the folder despite being an administrator. When I try to change who the owner of the folder is in the security tab, It doesn't even give me the option to click on it to try and...
  5. Cannot change owner of folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot change owner of folder: Hi, when I try to enter the Windows Defender Scan folder it says I have been denied access to the folder despite being an administrator. When I try to change who the owner of the folder is in the security tab, It doesn't even give me the option to click on it to try and...
  6. Changing the owner of C drive from administrator to TrustedInstaller

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Changing the owner of C drive from administrator to TrustedInstaller: Earlier I have changed the owner to trusted installer but now whenever i install any software every time while opening it ask for administrator password and has a UAC shield. After the name of the owner also of C drive there is a UAC shield .When I am changing the owner to...
  7. Changing the Owner of Windows PowerShell folder from TrustedInstaller

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Changing the Owner of Windows PowerShell folder from TrustedInstaller: I recently purchased a Dell XPS 8940 desktop and installed Windows version 20H2 on it. After copying the "Windows PowerShell" folder---because Windows wouldn't let me move the original---so that I could move the copy to a new user folder of my choice, I have the original...
  8. You require permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this folder

in Windows 10 News
    You require permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this folder: The message prompt You require permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this folder will pop up when you try to delete, modify, rename, or access core system files that are protected under the ownership of the TrustedInstaller process. In order to do the necessary...
  9. Changing folder ownership TrustedInstaller

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing folder ownership TrustedInstaller: [ATTACH] Hi, I'm trying to uninstall windows defender as its bloating my pc and causing memory leaks, but task manager wont let me even close the program access denied My next thought was to delete the Windows Defender folder in my C: drive, but I need permission from...
  10. NT SERVICE/TrustedInstaller - Can't change owner/Error message

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NT SERVICE/TrustedInstaller - Can't change owner/Error message: Hi there, Am having trouble changing ownership of my windowsapps folder back to TrustedInstaller instead of what I thought was my administrator account. Have tried NT SERVICE/TrustedInstaller as you can see in the pics but keep receiving an error message. Any help is...