Windows 10: Changing the primary alias

Discus and support Changing the primary alias in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; My current primary alias is an email address that no longer exists. I don't have trouble signing in, but because the address no longer exists, I don't... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by PeggyAnderson4, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Changing the primary alias

My current primary alias is an email address that no longer exists. I don't have trouble signing in, but because the address no longer exists, I don't get any communication from Microsoft. I have tried adding aliases, but I keep getting the error that the email already exists- try another. Yes, it exists because it's my email address! Am I missing something here?Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you.

:)

PeggyAnderson4, Jun 9, 2021

2. Change primary alias

Hello,

Thank you for your reply,

As per description, when you click to change the primary on nothing happens.

Have you tried to perform the troubleshooting steps provided under section
    Change which alias is primary
    ?

If you have not performed the troubleshooting steps I would suggest you perform steps under
    Change which alias is primary , from my previous post. Which are as follow.

Note: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset
    parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows.

Ashish Sondhi, Jun 9, 2021
  3. Unable to change primary alias - Microsoft Account

Hi John,

As per the description, you are experiencing issue with you are unable to change the primary alias for your Microsoft account on the system.

I certainly understand your concern and appreciate all your efforts in trying to fix this issue.

I would like to provide you with the information that
    an account alias is an email address or phone number that you use to sign in to your Microsoft account. You can have multiple aliases, and use any of them with Microsoft services such as Outlook.com, Skype, OneDrive,
    Office, Xbox, Windows and more.

Your primary alias appears on devices such as your Xbox, Surface, and Windows Phone, and is the email OneDrive sends from when you share. You can choose a different alias to be the primary one at any time.

An alias is also the best way to change your email, but keep all your mail.
    Add an alias, then make the new alias primary. Then you can
    keep or remove the original alias.

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

Note: The email alias at the top of the list without a Make primary link is your current primary alias.

• Uncheck the Send me promotional offers from Microsoft box if you like, and click/tap on Yes to confirm.
    You may also try the following steps given below and check if that helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>Account>Your Account.
    • In the right pane, click on Sign in with a local account instead.
    • Provide your current Microsoft Account Password.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.
    • You can leave the Enter Password option empty, however, it is highly recommended to keep a password on your system to keep it safe.

For reference:

I would suggest you to refer to the article given below and check if that helps.

Microsoft account help

Account & billing help - Microsoft Support

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant Gupta, Jun 9, 2021
  4. Changing the primary alias

unable to make my email alias a primary - no primary link appears to the right of the alias

There is no primary link next to my email alias to allow me to make it a primary as noted in the instructions. Any ideas? I am using Windows 10 Pro (not available to click in the drop down)

• Under Account aliases, click/tap on the Make primary link to the right of an added email alias you want
      to be your primary alias.
    Note: The email alias at the top of the list without a Make primary link is your current primary alias.

Cynthia413, Jun 9, 2021
Thema:

Changing the primary alias

1. Changing the primary alias - Similar Threads - Changing primary alias

2. Change my primary alias

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change my primary alias: I seem to be struggling with my Microsoft account which I rarely use. My current primary alias is my Optusnet email. When I add a new alias my Gmail it tells me it already exists, but I cannot see it anywhere. When I go to delete my current alias I receive a warning. How do I...
  3. Change my primary alias

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change my primary alias: I seem to be struggling with my Microsoft account which I rarely use. My current primary alias is my Optusnet email. When I add a new alias my Gmail it tells me it already exists, but I cannot see it anywhere. When I go to delete my current alias I receive a warning. How do I...
  4. How to change primary alias

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change primary alias: My original Microsoft identity was set up with an old email which is no longer valid. I have managed to set up an alias with my new email, but although my new email is now named as my primary alias but the check box next to it remains unchecked. I am reluctant to uncheck the...
  5. How to change primary alias

How to change primary alias: My original Microsoft identity was set up with an old email which is no longer valid. I have managed to set up an alias with my new email, but although my new email is now named as my primary alias but the check box next to it remains unchecked. I am reluctant to uncheck the...
  6. primary alias

in Windows 10 Gaming
    primary alias: having issues with multiple OLD active email accounts that I haven't used in over 15 years? didn't think that was possible https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/primary-alias/2b8bf28d-d428-4550-936e-581a207591de
  7. primary alias

primary alias: having issues with multiple OLD active email accounts that I haven't used in over 15 years? didn't think that was possible https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/primary-alias/2b8bf28d-d428-4550-936e-581a207591de
  8. primary alias

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    primary alias: I want to change my primary alias to another, existing alias already on my system. I also want to: 1.make the other, existing alias the primary alias 2. as well as make new primary alias the Administrator and User 3. delete the original primary alias but save all and any...
  9. Changing primary alias

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing primary alias: People on this forum have been complaining that they can't change their primary alias since at least as far back as May 8, 2015--over 2000 people on this forum. God know how many have called in for help like I have. One Microsoft customer server told me it was a known problem...
  10. Change Primary Alias for Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Primary Alias for Microsoft Account: How to: Change Primary Alias for Microsoft Account How to Change the Primary Alias for your Microsoft Account [img] Information An account alias is an email address or phone number that you use to sign in to your Microsoft account. You can have multiple aliases, and...