Windows 10: Changing the taskbar and start menu font under Windows 10 1909

Discus and support Changing the taskbar and start menu font under Windows 10 1909 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, Until this morning, I was running Windows 10 1803 and had applied the registry changes to have the Segoe UI font globally replaced by Tahoma.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by obones, May 24, 2020.

1. obones Win User

Changing the taskbar and start menu font under Windows 10 1909

Hello,

Until this morning, I was running Windows 10 1803 and had applied the registry changes to have the Segoe UI font globally replaced by Tahoma.
    After I made the upgrade to Windows 10 1909, my registry settings for Font substitution were removed, so I went back and did them again. After a complete reboot, I was back to having a sharp and clear font on my desktop, in the various application menus, but alas, not in the Start menu, nor in the Taskbar.
    Those two appear to still be using the Segoe UI font, and appear blurry which is very annoying. This also happens in Explorer's context menus when I right click on a folder or file, but not in the system menu, nor in any other application context menu.
    I tried using "WinAero Tweaker" and "Advanced Font Changer" but they both say "Tahoma" for the various settings and yet, Start Menu, Taskbar and Explorer right click menus don't seem to care.

Has anyone else noticed this? If yes, did you find a solution to change this setting?
    I checked with ProcessExplorer, it seems Explorer.exe has a direct handle to c:\windows\fonts\segoeui.ttf opened
    I'm thinking of completely removing this file, but it may crash a few things around, and I can't delete it unless I dual boot in another operating system to do so.

:)

obones, May 24, 2020
  2. Daxon26 Win User

Changing Context Menu and Taskbar font in Win10 1909?

This has confused me. For a while I had every font changed within Windows, but the 1909 update reverted the Context Menu and Taskbar to the default Segoe. All other fonts can be changed except these. Even using WinAero Tweaker and registry edits it has no effect.

I have every font altered in WndowsMetrics registry and all the Segoe fonts changed in FontSubstitutes registry, it still has no effect.

It even ignores any changes to font smoothing turned off in Performance Options.

What confuses me even more is that I have another PC that also claims to be on 1909, yet the font is customized.

Daxon26, May 24, 2020
  3. NeoSOS Win User
    Fonts

Hello,

I found these steps in this forum from back in 2010:

Step 1:

I would suggest you to try these steps and check whether it helps in fixing your issue.

Open font settings by clicking on start, click on control panel, and then click on appearance and personalization, under fonts click on change font settings. And select the font size.

Step 2:

If you’re trying to change windows font size then please follow the steps below:

To change Windows fonts

1. Open Appearance Settings by clicking the Start button and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type window color, and then click Change window colors and
    metrics

2. In the Item list, click the part of Windows that you want to change the font for. For example, if you want to change the menu font, click Menu in the list. Then, make any of the following changes:

· In the Font list, click the font that you want to use.

· In the Size list, click the font size that you want.

· In the Color list, click the font color that you want.

3. Repeat these steps for each item that you want to make changes to, and then click OK.

Does that help?

NeoSOS, May 24, 2020
  4. Ian Ser Win User

Internet Explorer 11 Menu font size

Hi Larry,

Follow these steps to change the font size in IE11:

• Click Start menu or press Windows key on your keyboard.
    • Type and click Control Panel.
    • Click Appearance and Personalization and under Display, click
      Make text other items larger or smaller.
    • Under Change only the text size, choose the Title bars
      in the drop-down menu and the desired font size on the drop-down menu beside it.

Let us know if the suggested steps helped.

Ian Ser, May 24, 2020
Thema:

1. Changing the taskbar and start menu font under Windows 10 1909 - Similar Threads - Changing taskbar start

2. Start menu font was misteriously changed to a serif type

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu font was misteriously changed to a serif type: Evening!I recently formatted my PC and, due to my advancing age, my readability is a bit affected, so I used Winaero Tweaker WAT to change some fonts, such as message boxes, title bars, menus, icons and the system font. The ideal thing would be to do this in a native control...
  3. Start menu font was misteriously changed to a serif type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu font was misteriously changed to a serif type: Evening!I recently formatted my PC and, due to my advancing age, my readability is a bit affected, so I used Winaero Tweaker WAT to change some fonts, such as message boxes, title bars, menus, icons and the system font. The ideal thing would be to do this in a native control...
  4. Issue on Start Menu when changing System Font

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Issue on Start Menu when changing System Font: Hi, im trying to figure out how to solve this strange behavior. When I change the System Font with ANY font, even Tahoma, some highlighted text on the start menu get too "chonky" (bold) Example: https://i.imgur.com/jCI3krM.jpg submitted by /u/FettaBiscottata [link]...
  5. Start menu font has changed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu font has changed: Can anyone tell me why the search bar font has changed? I don't know the font name but much wider then before almost fills the space. Also, when I click in the search bar it reverts back to the original font. Can anyone help me to change it back please?...
  6. Changing Context Menu and Taskbar font in Win10 1909?

Changing Context Menu and Taskbar font in Win10 1909?: This has confused me. For a while I had every font changed within Windows, but the 1909 update reverted the Context Menu and Taskbar to the default Segoe. All other fonts can be changed except these. Even using WinAero Tweaker and registry edits it has no effect. I have...
  7. Change windows taskbar and start menu color

Change windows taskbar and start menu color: Hello, I am trying to change my taskbar color to light pink. I am able to change it to a grayish pink by under "Colors," choosing custom as the color, default Windows mode as dark, and default app mode as light, and then I choose an accent color. The color of the task bar...
  8. Windows 10 menu and system fonts, changing

Windows 10 menu and system fonts, changing: So, Windows 10 updated overnight and all of my menu and window fonts are tiny and hard to read. The discussion on using display settings to change font size turns out to have no effect. Here is my work-around that fixed the problem: 1. In File Explorer, right click on...
  9. Can not change Taskbar and Desktop popup menu font

Can not change Taskbar and Desktop popup menu font: Hi, on Windows 10 I have changed system font to Tahoma, like in WinXP by using Winaero Tweaker. This is the most readable / best font on my normal DPI graphics monitor - Eizo ColorEdge CG243W. But on Taskabar and desktop popup menu font is still default Segoe UI. How can I...
  10. Change menu fonts

Change menu fonts: Hi to all, I am using windows 10 and I am trying to change the default fonts of the OS(I think is Segoe UI). I know that has been changed since windows 8, but I was able to change them so far by modifying the keys in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics" in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can you change windows 10 start menu font?

2. how to reduce taskbar font size in windows 10 regiatry