Windows 10: Changing to another desktop with multiple monitors changes desktops on both monitors. Is...

Discus and support Changing to another desktop with multiple monitors changes desktops on both monitors. Is... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a Macbook for work, and I use multiple desktops all the time on it while also having an external monitor plugged in. Mac's default behavior when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/PrestO-, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Changing to another desktop with multiple monitors changes desktops on both monitors. Is...

I have a Macbook for work, and I use multiple desktops all the time on it while also having an external monitor plugged in. Mac's default behavior when transitioning to another desktop is to only change the desktop on one of the monitors. I virtually never want to change desktops on both monitors at the same time, but this is how it works on Windows 10. Is there a setting, registry setting, etc. that allows me to change desktops one monitor at a time?

submitted by /u/PrestO-
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/PrestO-, Apr 26, 2020
  2. JunaidRao Win User

Multiple Desktops on Multiple Monitors

Hi everyone,

I have multiple (virtual) desktops and I am extending my screen to an external monitor. However, when I change my desktop to a different one, it also changes the desktop on my second monitor. How can I keep my second (extended) monitor to a fixed desktop
    and change desktops on my primary monitor?

Thanks,

Junaid

JunaidRao, Apr 26, 2020
  3. Luke33235 Win User
    Change desktops independently on different monitors

I've got a setup with 2 monitors and I use multiple desktops, when I switch desktops on one monitor it also switches desktops on the other monitor, is it possible to switch this off. Making it that when you switch desktops on one screen the other doesn't
    change?

Luke33235, Apr 26, 2020
  4. Mala_S Win User

Changing to another desktop with multiple monitors changes desktops on both monitors. Is...

virtual desktop as multiple monitor

Hello Dan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Virtual desktops lets you create multiple, separate desktops that each can display different open windows and apps. Multiple desktops are great for quickly switching desktops. The idea of having multiple virtual desktops is being able to order programs
    according to a set of tasks.

PC can’t have different virtual desktop on each monitor. However, we can
    configure the taskbar for multiple displays to send windows from one monitor to another. We can customize Windows to have a taskbar shown on only one display, and a different taskbar on the other display. To do that, follow the below mentioned
    steps.

• Right click on the taskbar and select
      Taskbar Settings
    • Scroll down to Multiple displays section and choose
      Taskbar where window is open under Show taskbar buttons on option.

By choosing that particular option in Settings, you can set its independent taskbar in addition to your primary display. Only the open windows are shown on the taskbar in that particular display.

As a workaround, we can create a new profile to switch your main display to another. By doing that, you can switch between profiles which will be having different displays in it.
    To do that, follow the below mentioned steps.

• Right click anywhere on the desktop and select Graphics properties > Select
      Display > make changes to change your main displays > click on
      Save profile
      > assign a name to it.
    • You can create multiple profiles to make different monitors as main displays each time.
    • To apply the profile, right click anywhere on the
      desktop and select Graphics Options > Profiles > in there you can select the new account which you have created to switch the display.

Hope it helps.

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Apr 26, 2020
Thema:

Changing to another desktop with multiple monitors changes desktops on both monitors. Is...

1. Changing to another desktop with multiple monitors changes desktops on both monitors. Is... - Similar Threads - Changing another desktop

2. In virtual desktop change, it changes on the 2nd monitor.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In virtual desktop change, it changes on the 2nd monitor.: Hello all,I am using 2 monitors. I created a virtual desktop on the 1st monitor. But when I make a virtual desktop change it changes on my second monitor. I just want my 1st monitor to change and my 2nd monitor to stay fixed. Because I am using applications on the 2nd...
  3. In virtual desktop change, it changes on the 2nd monitor.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In virtual desktop change, it changes on the 2nd monitor.: Hello all,I am using 2 monitors. I created a virtual desktop on the 1st monitor. But when I make a virtual desktop change it changes on my second monitor. I just want my 1st monitor to change and my 2nd monitor to stay fixed. Because I am using applications on the 2nd...
  4. Multiple monitors causing changing desktop icons.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Multiple monitors causing changing desktop icons.: So I have 3 different monitors a Samsung g7 which is 1440p, an Asus VG278 which is 1080p, and an old insignia tv which is 1080p which I am running with my 2060. I have set my Samsung g7 to be my primary screen and had set up my desktop shortcuts for it but when I turn it on...
  5. Changing brightness on desktop monitors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing brightness on desktop monitors: Why is there no brightness slider for external monitors..? Instead of using the buttons maybe windows could be able to create a black colour covering the whole screen, the brightness could be changed depending the what opactity the black mask is. The back light will be the...
  6. Remote Desktop and Multiple Monitors

Remote Desktop and Multiple Monitors: I have a laptop that is connected to two external monitors and everything works great until we log into a remote desktop. Once logged in we can't make the screen full size or move windows from one monitor to the other. I've double-checked the RDP setting to show full screen...
  7. multiple monitor desktop alignment

multiple monitor desktop alignment: Hello all, To start off I'm hoping you're all having a lovely day and doing fine. I have a new widescreen 3440*1440 Monitor that I would like to align with my older Ilama 1920*1080 monitor. The problem Is not a serious one but more of an aesthetics issue. My new BenQ...
  8. virtual desktop as multiple monitor

virtual desktop as multiple monitor: Hi, my workspace use 6 display monitor from 1 PC - 1 monitor for main PC display - 5 monitor for business-related display (opening browser on different pages) - 1 PC (i5 7th gen, windows 10 pro) Those 5 displays are extended via HDMI splitter. My problem is moving...
  9. Desktop layout changes when I connect another monitor

Desktop layout changes when I connect another monitor: When I turn on the second monitor, my desktop changes. If I turn off a monitor, my desktop gets messy. I really don’t want that my desktop changes every time I turn on/off the other monitor....
  10. when attaching 2nd monitor, both screens change to right50% of desktop

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    when attaching 2nd monitor, both screens change to right50% of desktop: I have a Dell laptop (running Windows 10), a Targus docking station, an old LG monitor that I'm trying to replace, and a new AOC monitor that I want to use instead. I am trying to attach the AOC monitor directly to the HDMI port on the laptop, since the monitor screen doesn't...