Windows 10: Changing to new disk with a clean install, how do I activate Windows 10?

Discus and support Changing to new disk with a clean install, how do I activate Windows 10? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; We upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 when there was no cost to do so. We have just purchased an SSD and plan a new install of Windows 10. We... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by iwaddo, May 2, 2020.

1. iwaddo Win User

Changing to new disk with a clean install, how do I activate Windows 10?

We upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 when there was no cost to do so.

We have just purchased an SSD and plan a new install of Windows 10.

We have created a bootable USB Memory Stick using the Windows Media Creation tool.

My question is - How will I activate my new clean install of Windows 10?

Will the licence be installed by the Windows Installer?

Do I use the existing Windows 10 Product Key from the Control Panel?

Do I use the code we have for Windows 7?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Regards

:)

iwaddo, May 2, 2020
  2. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, May 2, 2020
  3. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, May 2, 2020
  4. r.h.p Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

What's your intended PC specs ??

r.h.p, May 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Changing to new disk with a clean install, how do I activate Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Changing disk clean

2. How do I clean install?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I clean install?: I'm planning to do a factory reset. but recently I got few recommendations that I should do a clean install instead. What is better? Factory reset or clean install?If so, how do I clean install?...
  3. How do I clean install?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I clean install?: I'm planning to do a factory reset. but recently I got few recommendations that I should do a clean install instead. What is better? Factory reset or clean install?If so, how do I clean install?...
  4. How to install clean new windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to install clean new windows 10 ?: This is what I have installed now on my machine :Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 21H1 Installed on ‎02/‎05/‎2021 OS build 19043.1052 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0 When I downloaded the tool file from the Microsoft site and then ran it to create a...
  5. How to do a clean install of windows 10?

How to do a clean install of windows 10?: I would like to do clean install of Windows 10 home on my laptop asus Q525. What partition should I install Windows 10? What partitions should I keep in case I need it in the future I created a usb drive with Windows 10 UEFI boot media using Media Creation Tool. Drive 0...
  6. How do I activate new windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How do I activate new windows 10: I cannot find the key of my new windows 10 pc. My windows disc cover writes (I translate) " scratch lightly to reveal the number key of the product". There is only a pink tape, I don't seem to see anything revealed from it....
  7. How do I do a perfect Windows 10 Clean Install?

How do I do a perfect Windows 10 Clean Install?: I was told in another question over in the Performance & System Failures forum and I forgot to make myself a How To doc. Hopefully the guy that had given me his list will see this and give it to me again. I hope it's just a simple Copy / Paste for him and that's what I'll do...
  8. Will Windows activate itself if I do a clean install?

Will Windows activate itself if I do a clean install?: If I understood this : [img] clearly, then does it mean that Windows will activate itself from some Windows activation servers that are somehow written into my hardware even if I do a clean install deleting everything in my Windows partition? Also, since the built-in...
  9. clean install *HOW TO ACTIVATE

clean install *HOW TO ACTIVATE: Hello. I have just completed a clean install of windows 10 (the upgrade from windows 7 failed 5 times) and I cant work out how to activate my copy. I reserved my copy on windows 7 but it is now asking for a serial key? This is my main PC and I would really be grateful...
  10. Doing a new Clean install..

Doing a new Clean install..: I'm about to do a clean install of Win10 again once I get my new SSD in the mail. I already have a image of the installation on a DVD from back when Win10 was just being available. Should I make an updated image from the media creation tool or is my old image ok to use?...