Windows 10: Changing Touchpad Settings but changes aren't taking effect

Discus and support Changing Touchpad Settings but changes aren't taking effect in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So my touchpad one day started being weird. It is super unresponsive to tap touch, and also i've lost right click unless I tap with two fingers... I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Alex of Smeg, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Changing Touchpad Settings but changes aren't taking effect

So my touchpad one day started being weird. It is super unresponsive to tap touch, and also i've lost right click unless I tap with two fingers... I open up touchpad settings and I have now realised that no matter what I do, the changes I make simply don't change anything. I have tried all the settings to see if this is the problem, including disabling the touchpad entirely! This greys out the entire touchpad settings page but you guessed it, the touchpad still works, with its super unsensitive touch and lack of right click.

It is a work laptop so I'm wondering if it's some sort of administrator thing but I need to sort it. It is unusable like this and driving me crazy!!!

Any help appreciated

:)

Alex of Smeg, Jul 22, 2020

2. Changing Touchpad Settings but changes aren't taking effect

I will go to IT support if I have to but I was hoping I could solve it without having to.

HP Probook 450 G6
    Windows:

Changing Touchpad Settings but changes aren't taking effect [​IMG]

It seems to have two different touchpad's or something. No idea what is going on here. I have checked for driver updates. There are none available. I haven't tried uninstalling them, how do I do that?

Looking at update history there was an update around 1st July, and that could well be when the problem started. I just tried to uninstall one of the two updates from that day (I left the security one installed). This did not fix the problem.

As you can see, these are the two things I really want to change. I deselect the 2 finger thing, and have it on most sensitive. Windows remembers these settings, it's not like it resets them each time. But I can still only right click with 2 fingers! and the pad is not sensitive at all!

Alex of Smeg, Aug 4, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    Changing Touchpad Settings but changes aren't taking effect

Hi, just considering that, your first port of call should be your IT staff- hopefully there is someone.

It could be that you are simply not able to perform the sort of operations that may be needed- depends what policies are in place both on your PC and required by your company.

The forum prompted you to state the build number of your Windows to save us asking time and again.

What exact model is your laptop?

Was there an update around this time? Check your Update History (drivers at the bottom).
    Also check the installation date of your current touchpad driver.

What sort of touchpad does it have, and which manufacturer provides the driver? Example:

Please post a screenshot of your touchpad's GUI thus:

Have you tried uninstalling your touchpad driver and restarting?

dalchina, Aug 4, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

Hi, HP Probook 450 G6 - drivers page:
    https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers...ok-pc/23201167

This is what you should have:

and you can compare the driver version with what you have.

I suggest you download that, uninstall the touchpad drivers you have, choosing to delete them.
    Then disconnect /disable the internet to prevent new ones being downloaded, restart, and install that one.
    Then try your touchpad.

If all is ok, you may need to stop Windows update updating them.

Did this problem perhaps arise after upgrading to 2004? Note that an increasing number of problems are being found with this- in particular, if your laptop has a SSD drive, trim will be being run perhaps multiple times a day - not good.

Fix:

dalchina, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Changing Touchpad Settings but changes aren't taking effect - Similar Threads - Changing Touchpad Settings

2. How to change display rotation via registry and force the new change takes effective...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change display rotation via registry and force the new change takes effective...: Hello:I would like to change the display rotation via registry, such as...
  3. How to change display rotation via registry and force the new change takes effective...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change display rotation via registry and force the new change takes effective...: Hello:I would like to change the display rotation via registry, such as...
  4. Changes using the Registry Editor won't take effect

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changes using the Registry Editor won't take effect: [ATTACH] Hey guys, I got a problem with the registry editor. I want to set my keyboard response rate really low. In the screenshot you can see what I've changed it to. I think the repeat delay was 1000 before or something. Anyway I don't get any notification that there...
  5. Local password change does not take effect

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Local password change does not take effect: I was previously using Microsoft account login on Windows 10, and switched to a local login because the MS password rules did not accept a passphrase. This worked fine, and I was able to long with my new passphrase. Some time later I tried to change my password, I believe...
  6. Computer name changes not taking effect in network view

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer name changes not taking effect in network view: My PC had some unrecognizable name like DESKTOP-AX2VB, so I went in an changed the name and description in the settings. I restarted the computer. Nonetheless, in the network view in file explorer I only see these types of names. What might I have done wrong? submitted by...
  7. Change settings on Laptop touchpad?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change settings on Laptop touchpad?: I want to make it more difficult for my screen to change to another screen, or get rid of hovering, so I need to change touchpad or keyboard sensitivity. Now I can't find the place to do that on my Windows-based laptop. Any ideas?...
  8. Changing PATH does not take effect

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing PATH does not take effect: I have extended the PATH as in the attached screenshot, but when I open a new CMD Prompt, the directory I have placed at the end of the PATH is missing.*Confused [img] 134488
  9. Settings aren't taking effect

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Settings aren't taking effect: Basically I'm trying to get rid of the delay between pressing a key and being able to use the mouse. When I pressing keys I can't use the mouse at the same time - there is a short delay until the touchpad kicks into action. Very annoying when playing games. I fixed it before,...
  10. Change Visual Effects Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Visual Effects Settings in Windows 10: How to: Change Visual Effects Settings in Windows 10 How to Change Visual Effects Settings in Windows 10 Visual effects are the visual bells and whistles for the appearance of Windows for your account. These visual bells and whistles can affect the performance of...