Windows 10: Changing User Permissions and Access on an old HDD in a new set-up.

Discus and support Changing User Permissions and Access on an old HDD in a new set-up. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all, I am trying to use the hard drive from my dead laptop as a portable storage device in a caddy to run between my desktop, new laptop and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ColinAustin1, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Changing User Permissions and Access on an old HDD in a new set-up.

Hi all,

I am trying to use the hard drive from my dead laptop as a portable storage device in a caddy to run between my desktop, new laptop and chromebook. Windows 10 is on the Desk machine, and also on the laptops HDD. I want to format the disc from the laptop (I guess that I need too in order to remove the Windows and Windows.Old folder from the HDD), but need to migrate the data files over to the other machine first. Windows from the desk top (target machine) won't let me move or delete certain files and folders because I don't have permission. Is there a way to do this globally across the whole disc?

:)

ColinAustin1, Mar 7, 2019

2. Lost access to desktop and folder, change the permissions to access.

Hi,

Sorry to know that you are facing this issue.

Before I proceed further, I would like to know the below information.

• Are you able to access your computer completely?

• You are the administrator of the computer/ the local user?

• Is that trying to access the file and folders through the Microsoft account?

Method1:
    If you concerned about file permissions?

• Right click on the folder which you are not able to access and select the
      Properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc.).

• Go to the Security tab
      and click Advanced.

• Check the box at the bottom of this window.

• It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Please let us know if it’s working

Method2:
    I suggest to follow the below mentioned steps and check with the login user account/ administrator account.

• Press the Windows key + R on the keyboard.

• Type Netplwixz
      and press Enter.

• Click on Add button, create a new local user account and follow the on-screen instruction to create a new local user account.

• Click on new user account, Select
      Properties, and then the Group Membership tab.

• Select the Administrator tab, then click OK twice.

Please revert back to us for further assistance with the detailed information. We would be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Mar 7, 2019
  3. Lost access to desktop and folder, change the permissions to access.

venkateshmadamanchi, Mar 7, 2019
  4. Changing User Permissions and Access on an old HDD in a new set-up.

Access denied to entire HDD

I recently reinstalled windows on a new SSD, but still have my old HDD attached for storage purposes. Once I formatted the old HDD I no longer have any permissions with it despite being the sole user and administrator on the computer. I have tried changing
    ownership like many suggest, but I am locked out from that option as it just takes me to the same screen with all the options "greyed" out. I cannot install anything to the drive or add folders. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have tried changing
    all the security options suggested and visited many different sites to no avail.

Chimmyshibbs, Mar 7, 2019
Thema:

Changing User Permissions and Access on an old HDD in a new set-up.

1. Changing User Permissions and Access on an old HDD in a new set-up. - Similar Threads - Changing User Permissions

2. Giving a New User Access to an Old Users Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Giving a New User Access to an Old Users Account: Here's the predicament that I'm in.I work for an MSP that deals with Active Directory On-Premises and we have a client with two users. One of the users let's say her name is Jane is retiring from their job. The client has hired another user let's say her name is Martha and...
  3. Giving a New User Access to an Old Users Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Giving a New User Access to an Old Users Account: Here's the predicament that I'm in.I work for an MSP that deals with Active Directory On-Premises and we have a client with two users. One of the users let's say her name is Jane is retiring from their job. The client has hired another user let's say her name is Martha and...
  4. Giving a New User Access to an Old Users Account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Setting up LAPS - Changing Permission on a CN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting up LAPS - Changing Permission on a CN: I am currently having an issue with changing permissions on our networks CN=Computers. When setting up LAPS you must run a command on the organizational units that have your workstations in them. Well our network has been setup where our Headquarter's Computers sit within the...
  6. How to give new user access to old user's apps

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to give new user access to old user's apps: My wife used to work from home on her PC. She no longer works at the company but always logs in using the same login she used at the time. She wants to create a new user account on the PC now that it's her personal PC, but still wants access to her Office apps and other data...
  7. How to give new user access to old user's apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to give new user access to old user's apps: My wife used to work from home on her PC. She no longer works at the company but always logs in using the same login she used at the time. She wants to create a new user account on the PC now that it's her personal PC, but still wants access to her Office apps and other data...
  8. How to give new user access to old user's apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. user permission settings and access control setup

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    user permission settings and access control setup: hi ! i am vamsi. my dad is setting up a small company and me and my dad had brought laptops, the issue is he wanted me to set up the laptop such that user cannot modify the OS and the system should ask the admin permission whenever they are trying to install software of any...
  10. Setting up New User "Settings" problem

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Setting up New User "Settings" problem: I am trying to set up an account for my wife on my laptop in Windows 10. I go to "Control Panel\User Accounts\User Accounts\Manage Accounts" I click on "Add a new user in PC settings" This opens a window "Settings" Under "Home", I am supposed to "Find a setting" That's...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change old hd permisions