Windows 10: Changing wifi settings from public to private

Discus and support Changing wifi settings from public to private in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have seen the same question being asked with the same answer that apparently does not exist: I want to change my WiFi connection from public to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by PatA&, Apr 22, 2020.

1. PatA& Win User

Changing wifi settings from public to private

I have seen the same question being asked with the same answer that apparently does not exist: I want to change my WiFi connection from public to private. The suggestion I keep seeing is:

1. On the right side of the taskbar, select the Wi-Fi network icon.
    2. Under the name of the Wi-Fi network that you’re connected to, select Properties.
    3. Under Network profile, select Public or Private.

Well I am running WIndows Home version 1903 and there is no link called Network profile where I can select between Public or Private.

:)

PatA&, Apr 22, 2020

2. Change Network from Public to Private

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Apr 22, 2020
  3. Stud_1946 Win User
    How to change the network setting (Private, public, etc)

this answer from a different Microsoft page worked for me

Changing wifi settings from public to private [​IMG]
    Giridhar
    J
    replied on

• Microsoft

Accomplishments

• Microsoft

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Stud_1946, Apr 22, 2020
  4. Changing wifi settings from public to private

Why does local wifi get set to PUBLIC?

Win10x64HOME on household wifi along with tablets, phones, her PC, Internet Radios, occassional guests ...

Ensuring wifi network connection on this PC is set as PRIVATE. After a few days this PC loses some connections. PUBLIC / PRIVATE wifi found to be PUBLIC. Setting back to PRIVATE re-allows all connections. The cycle repeats.

What could be doing this? AVAST Internet Security is running.

All other devices are connecting OK as PRIVATE wifi.

Thanks for suggestions.

muymalestado, Apr 22, 2020
Thema:

Changing wifi settings from public to private

1. Changing wifi settings from public to private - Similar Threads - Changing wifi settings

2. Public or Private Changing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Public or Private Changing: Going nuts again! My puters that are ok with what is told on the net is correct. But, one is not, I click on properties when I bring up connections, does not bring a way to change the profile. 2004 must have changed something again. This is WFi which should mean nothing. If...
  3. Public and private WiFi settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Public and private WiFi settings: It's completely disappeared from the WiFi options in the settings menu. Does anybody know where it's moved to? Every time I update Windows it causes havoc with my WiFi by setting every network to public and I've searched everywhere. submitted by /u/PerryDigital [link]...
  4. changing WIFI from public to private

changing WIFI from public to private: win 10 is saying NOT CONNECTED TO NETWORK but I can go to YOUTUBE and every where else except in my own lan I went to settings....where there is supposed to be an option to pick public or private network BUT THE OPTION IS NOT THERE I have researched the internet inclubing...
  5. No option to change from public to private network in settings or anywhere!

No option to change from public to private network in settings or anywhere!: Hi there, I am on the latest build of windows 10, I have not yet put any third party security onto the system so just have windows defender etc. I want to change my network from public to private but the option to do so in settings is not there, there is nothing except for...
  6. Network changed from Private to Public

Network changed from Private to Public: I have windows 10 version 1803 now my wifi network connection shows public not private so I can not get to the internet. HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-changed-from-private-to-public/503943f0-a5e9-483e-b1ef-a964d4e99178
  7. wifi keeps switching from private to public

wifi keeps switching from private to public: Hello everyone. I have a strange problem on my laptop (Windows 10 home, ver 1803). My wireless connection worked for a year and a half without any problems, but this morning it suddenly switched from private to public and its name from the right one to "unidentified...
  8. Is it safer to set your wifi as public or private

Is it safer to set your wifi as public or private: I was wondeing is it safer to set ur home network to public or private if u have no need of file sharing and a printer. I already know whats the difference I just eant someones opinion...
  9. Can't change from public to private

Can't change from public to private: I've two refurb Dels running windows 10 1709. I initially hooked up to my home Wifi for software and windows registration but the machines will be used in a charity horse show office offline. Removed the USB Wifi for the rest of the work. Need to connect for printer sharing...
  10. Change Network from Public to Private

Change Network from Public to Private: So I have Windows 10 up and running...How do I change my home Wi-Fi from Public networks to Private? I also want to join my homegroup however cannot seem to figure it out.... Thanks 12023