Windows 10: Changing Windows 10 C drive permissions to cloned drive?

Discus and support Changing Windows 10 C drive permissions to cloned drive? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello all, I wanted to transfer the Windows 10 installation from an aging HDD, and I used Macrium Reflect to clone the Windows install from there to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by B.H.B., Dec 2, 2022.

1. B.H.B. Win User

Changing Windows 10 C drive permissions to cloned drive?

Hello all, I wanted to transfer the Windows 10 installation from an aging HDD, and I used Macrium Reflect to clone the Windows install from there to the new drive. This new drive labeled "F" by the system, has all data needed to become the Windows drive, but, even though the system can boot from it, I cannot make it the default drive and wipe the old HDD, getting an error when I try that warns of Windows being installed there and denying me the option to format/delete it.Short of disconnecting the SATA cable from the old drive to force windows to stop seeing it, what are my options to make t

:)

B.H.B., Dec 2, 2022
  2. skooterfd Win User

Cloning Drive C:/

I bought a new hard drive so I could clone my main hard drive. The new drive was formatted after putting into an external hard drive bay connected using USB cable. I right clicked on my C:/ drive & chose copy. I then right clicked on my new hard drive F:/
    and chose paste. It then started to copy C:/ to F:/, but it eventually failed saying I wasn't authorized to access certain files even though I'm the Administrator of my computer. It also said I had a bad sector on C:/ drive. I then reformatted C:/ & tried
    to make a clone drive onto F:/. All that did was copy over ...

$RECYCLEBIN, Boot, Recovery, System Volume 1, bootmgr, BOOTNXT, BOOTSECT.BAK

It appears to me that all it did was make a boot disk in case C:/ drive failed to boot I could have the computer boot using drive F:/ which is not what I wanted. I already have drive E:/ for that in the same bay housing as F:/.

What I want is an exact clone of C:/ drive, every program & file on it!

Anyone got any suggestions?

skooterfd, Dec 2, 2022
  3. TankPush Win User
    Changing multiple drives on Windows 10, dual boot

• My computer has two hard drives (C and E), one for working and one for data and smaller programs.
    • Right now both have Windows 7. Both are bootable drives.
    • I am getting a new hard drive tomorrow.
    • I am going to update my C: to Windows 10, clone it, and install the clone on the new hard drive, turning that into my new C: drive.
    • The old C: drive will be turned into an E: and the old E: will become F:.

What do I do about the new E and F?

New E: will be bootable but I don't know if I can "slave" it to the new C: drive. I run into problems where the current E: (Future F) needs admin permissions even though I made sure to follow the instructions here (http://www.techfleece.com/2011/05/1...-of-files-or-folders-or-an-entire-hard-drive/).

F will be bootable to Windows 7, which will probably not play nicely with Windows 10 on the C and E. Someone suggested turning it into a Windows 10 media drive, but that will erase all the current data, which is bad.

Other than manually installing Windows 10 on all three, is there a clever solution? Is there a guaranteed way to make sure the C:\ owns the E and F?

***Modified Title from: Changing multiple drives to Windows 10***

TankPush, Dec 2, 2022
  4. Changing Windows 10 C drive permissions to cloned drive?

cloneing a drive in windows 10

Hi,I have this question last year,but my os is windows 8.there are my steps of

How to clone drive in winodws

,you can check.hope that helps

First,I download a free tool of MiniTool partition wizard and launch it.

Step 1. Connect SSD to Windows 8. Install and launch MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition, select the source hard drive and then choose “Copy

Step 2. Select a disk to copy the source disk. Here you are expected to choose the SSD (we choose disk 3).

Note: All the data on SSD will be destroyed, so make sure you have done backup in advance. You are allowed to clone a hard drive to a smaller SSD, as long as it can hold all data in the source disk. You can also clone SSD to larger SSD by using MiniTool
    Partition Wizard Free Edition.

Step 3. Review the changes you are going to make and also change the copy options if necessary.

Step 4. MiniTool Partition Wizard will tell you how to boot from the destination hard drive. So if you are cloning boot drive to SSD, you need to pay attention.

Step 5. When you are lead to the main interface again, you can preview the changes you are going to make from the middle pane. (Here disk 3 has the same disk layout with disk 1.) If you confirm these
    changes, you should click “Apply” to make the changes effective. Hope that helps

Areil.Bart, Dec 2, 2022
Thema:

Changing Windows 10 C drive permissions to cloned drive?

1. Changing Windows 10 C drive permissions to cloned drive? - Similar Threads - Changing drive permissions

2. Changing Windows 10 C drive permissions to cloned drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing Windows 10 C drive permissions to cloned drive?: Hello all, I wanted to transfer the Windows 10 installation from an aging HDD, and I used Macrium Reflect to clone the Windows install from there to the new drive. This new drive labeled "F" by the system, has all data needed to become the Windows drive, but, even though the...
  3. Changing Windows 10 C drive permissions to cloned drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing Windows 10 C drive permissions to cloned drive?: Hello all, I wanted to transfer the Windows 10 installation from an aging HDD, and I used Macrium Reflect to clone the Windows install from there to the new drive. This new drive labeled "F" by the system, has all data needed to become the Windows drive, but, even though the...
  4. Cloning to an E drive from C drive but not D drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cloning to an E drive from C drive but not D drive: I want to clone my C SSD drive to my larger E SSD drive. My issue is when I open up Macrium to start the process my C drive SSD and D drive HDD both appear to be chosen for cloning. Both drives have system folders on them but my D drive is huge and I don't need to clone it. I...
  5. Changed C: Drive Permissions and now have random files in my C Drive

Changed C: Drive Permissions and now have random files in my C Drive: Hello, I was in a coding class and needed to put a picture into the app I was working on. To do this, as an inexperienced coder I thought I had to upload it to my C: drive. When I uploaded the pictures, I was unable to because of the permissions of the drive. I changed the...
  6. Cloning C Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning C Drive: I have a desktop computer running Win 10 and I want to copy/clone the C drive to an SSD for faster access. I intend using EaseUS Disk Copy, but I have what I consider to be a problem. My C and D (for Data) drives are partitions on one 500GB HDD, which is Drive 0. I also have...
  7. C drive Permissions

C drive Permissions: By default all my software and games are installed in C so My Documents/Videos/Pictures are the default save locations for respective software/game. After the latest Windows update, any game I playalready played before starts from the beginning and if i try to save the game...
  8. C drive permissions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    C drive permissions: Any software or games I install, I install them in the default location C. if I am playing a game, the save files of the game by default gets saved in documents. Ever since updating windows, any software or game that tries to save something in documents is showing error. As...
  9. Cloning Drive C:/

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloning Drive C:/: I bought a new hard drive so I could clone my main hard drive. The new drive was formatted after putting into an external hard drive bay connected using USB cable. I right clicked on my C:/ drive & chose copy. I then right clicked on my new hard drive F:/ and chose paste. It...
  10. Access Denied when changing permissions on C: drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Access Denied when changing permissions on C: drive: Hey, just trying to allow my applications to write in certain files, so i changed some security settings, and then clicked apply and boof, it gives me this... how tf is it DENYING Me Access!?? Is windows stupid? or am i not really administrator... this is killing me, and my...