Windows 10: Changing Windows license type

Discus and support Changing Windows license type in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I bought a pc years ago and upgraded it from Windows 8.1 to 10. It is authentically licensed and works without any problem. Recently I feel the need... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Kok YunSoo, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Changing Windows license type

I bought a pc years ago and upgraded it from Windows 8.1 to 10. It is authentically licensed and works without any problem.

Recently I feel the need of to do hardware upgrade or even to change to a better computer. But only now I found out the Microsoft Windows license that came with the pc is an OEM digital license. Which means I may not be able to do the upgrade or pc change.

So what I want to ask is: Could I just buy a retail license key from Microsoft? I don't have to have a new pack of Windows since mine is working well and up to date.

Or is there a way to convert my existing OEM Windows to retail version?

Thank you very much for your professional advices.

:)

Kok YunSoo, Jan 27, 2021
  2. Bree Win User

How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

Changing Windows license type [​IMG]

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

3. How do I change the default keyboard from handwriting to typing on Windows 10

Hi Paul,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need to know more information to help you better.

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Have you enabled the tablet mode settings on Windows 10?

Kindly follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Turn off on screen keyboard

• Open Start menu, type Settings in search bar and click on Settings.
    • Click on Ease of access and select keyboard.
    • Turn off the on screen keyboard.

Step 2: Turn off tablet mode

I suggest you to turn off tablet mode, as it may also be the cause for the issue.

• Open Start menu, type tablet mode settings in search bar and click on it.
    • Turn off the tablet mode option and check if it helps.

Reference: I suggest you to refer the below link and check if it helps.

Change your language or keyboard

Change your keyboard layout

The steps applies for Windows 10 also.

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Jan 27, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

Changing Windows license type

How to change default app for file type

@Bree - yes, I'm quite aware of this thanks, but as you will see it's missing. I recall reading that clicking the dialogue at a certain point in blank space made it appear, and trying that once successfully, but doesn't seem to help now. Plenty of other similar reports of this option being missing.

'Fix' described here: (essentially unassociate the extension)
    Windows 10 "Always use this app" checkbox missing - Super User

dalchina, Jan 27, 2021
Thema:

Changing Windows license type

1. Changing Windows license type - Similar Threads - Changing license type

2. Windows 10/11 license activation type

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10/11 license activation type: I have been using my laptop for 5 years. I clean installed Windows 10/11 several times. When I connect to internet, system is activated with digital key. Windows always asks activation key, when I installed Windows 7/8/8.1. Today I wanted to check license type channel. I...
  3. Windows 10/11 license activation type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10/11 license activation type: I have been using my laptop for 5 years. I clean installed Windows 10/11 several times. When I connect to internet, system is activated with digital key. Windows always asks activation key, when I installed Windows 7/8/8.1. Today I wanted to check license type channel. I...
  4. latest Win10 Update changed license type

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    latest Win10 Update changed license type: Good morning,We bought an Asus x540ua-db51 laptop in December 2018 from amazon for my mother and this week after windows 10 update, the laptop states the Windows isn't Genuine, when I went to reactivate it it stated that it detected a License Key for Home or familly windows...
  5. latest Win10 Update changed license type

in Windows 10 Gaming
    latest Win10 Update changed license type: Good morning,We bought an Asus x540ua-db51 laptop in December 2018 from amazon for my mother and this week after windows 10 update, the laptop states the Windows isn't Genuine, when I went to reactivate it it stated that it detected a License Key for Home or familly windows...
  6. latest Win10 Update changed license type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows 10 licenses types

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 licenses types: Hey guys, so i have recently bought a laptop that is going to come without windows installed. Looking at getting myself a windows pro license saw that there are many types and was looking for some light on the matter. I saw that there is ESD, OEM ,Retail, Volume and KMS....
  8. Windows 10 license Type

Windows 10 license Type: Dear Microsoft, Since we are not clear yet regarding to windows 10 license type, May u details how many kind of windows 10 license that Microsoft have provide and specification condition of those. another thing if we are going to deploy windows 10 license for 200 users in...
  9. Find out License type.

Find out License type.: Hi guys, I just bought a new computer on craigslist and I would like to know what kind of Windows license has installed. I know there are different kinds like OEM or retail, I would like to know which one it has. Thanks....
  10. Change the Windows 10 license with License Switch

in Windows 10 News
    Change the Windows 10 license with License Switch: License Switch is a free portable software program for Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system to change the license of the system to another one. While it is quite easy to switch from one edition of Windows 10 to another using built-in tools -- all you have to do is run...