Windows 10: Character limit when renaming files

Discus and support Character limit when renaming files in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi all, windows just updated it's self and now i cant rename a file more than 26 characters, where is this option to change this? THanks! submitted by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ameic, Jul 18, 2020.

1. /u/ameic Win User

Character limit when renaming files

Hi all, windows just updated it's self and now i cant rename a file more than 26 characters, where is this option to change this? THanks!

submitted by /u/ameic
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ameic, Jul 18, 2020

2. Trouble renaming photos and files

Dear Guru Kiran,

I followed the steps that you mentioned above. Unfortunately, it did not fix my problem. (I did not have any corrupted system files).

I still cannot rename any of my files or photos when I select "Rename". After typing one or two characters the rename-window just closes.

The only way I can rename a file or photo is when I select properties. This is a very annoying step especially if I am trying to rename many photos with the same name.

I hope that you are still able to help me fix this problem.

Sincerely,

Lucia Clark

LucianaClark, Jul 18, 2020
  3. Can't rename folder.

Hi Howard,

It is possible that the difficulty renaming your folder is due to access/account limitation or a recent change was made on your computer. For better assistance, please answer the following questions:

• Are you getting an error message when trying to rename the folder?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried?
    • Can you send us a screenshot of the "Public" folders?

We will be waiting for your response.

Dennis Mop, Jul 18, 2020
  4. Character limit when renaming files

260 Character Limit in File Names

Hi,

Has the 260 character limit for File Names been removed in Windows Server 2016 ? Can anyone confirm ?

Saureshwar Banerjee, Jul 18, 2020
Thema:

Character limit when renaming files

1. Character limit when renaming files - Similar Threads - Character limit renaming

2. 256 Character Limit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    256 Character Limit: Hi...we're running Server 2016 for a law office and running into the character limit issue. The problem is that by law we are NOT allowed to change the file paths or names. Since files can be multiple folders deep, this becomes an issue. We have tried everything but cannot...
  3. 256 Character Limit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    256 Character Limit: Hi...we're running Server 2016 for a law office and running into the character limit issue. The problem is that by law we are NOT allowed to change the file paths or names. Since files can be multiple folders deep, this becomes an issue. We have tried everything but cannot...
  4. How to limit computer name characters in answer file? For example a limitation of 8 characters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to limit computer name characters in answer file? For example a limitation of 8 characters: I want to limit the number of characters of Computer Name from 15 to 8 characters in answer file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-limit-computer-name-characters-in-answer/986deac8-279f-4115-8b15-a0c8b6887b1c
  5. How to limit computer name characters in answer file? For example a limitation of 8 characters

How to limit computer name characters in answer file? For example a limitation of 8 characters: I want to limit the number of characters of Computer Name from 15 to 8 characters in answer file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-limit-computer-name-characters-in-answer/986deac8-279f-4115-8b15-a0c8b6887b1c
  6. How to limit computer name characters in answer file? For example a limitation of 8 characters

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Strange characters when renaming and pressing "Ctrl + Backspace"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Strange characters when renaming and pressing "Ctrl + Backspace": The thing is that when I'm renaming, It just inserts a very nonsense character. Instead of erasing the entire word.Can you help me with this?The red thing marked in the image are renaming with very nonsense characters."Help me, please. every time that I rename, it just...
  8. Strange characters when renaming and pressing "Ctrl + Backspace"

Strange characters when renaming and pressing "Ctrl + Backspace": The thing is that when I'm renaming, It just inserts a very nonsense character. Instead of erasing the entire word.Can you help me with this?The red thing marked in the image are renaming with very nonsense characters."Help me, please. every time that I rename, it just...
  9. A square garbage character appears when trying to Ctrl+Backspace when renaming a file or...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A square garbage character appears when trying to Ctrl+Backspace when renaming a file or...: [ATTACH] In most applications, Ctrl+Backspace removes the word left to the cursor. When renaming a file or folder in Windows, however, it just inserts a garbage character like shown below. Is it intended? UPD: managed to reproduce the issue on 1809 and 1903. Didn't test...
  10. Duplicate File Rename Limit of 100

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicate File Rename Limit of 100: Hi all, I've got a ton of image files for my costuming group that get posted and I download. Because of how they are saved on our forums, I am often working with with 100's of files that have the same name. As an example, I would have "DCIM_0001", and then "DCIM_0001(1)",...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Renaming files to 100 characters