Windows 10: Characters change in password field on lock screen

Discus and support Characters change in password field on lock screen in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I have a unique issue that I have been living with for a long time, but am determined to resolve now. I am using Windows 10, and on the lock screen,... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by The KarakNor, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Characters change in password field on lock screen

I have a unique issue that I have been living with for a long time, but am determined to resolve now.

I am using Windows 10, and on the lock screen, since I built the computer, I have always had an issue with the password field changing my characters. I have tried with both a MS account and a local account. The exact behavior:

• Type in the password, hit enter, Windows indicates the password is incorrect
    • I hit the "eye" icon to view the password and the characters are any random mix of Asian characters or unprintable Unicode characters. Doesn't seem to be consistent at all.
    • While holding the "eye" icon, I select all text with Ctrl+A and retype my password. I can see the correct characters being entered.
    • I then release the "eye" icon and press it again....and the characters have changed to a random assortment of Asian or other characters.
    • I have to do this anywhere from 1-2 to 10+ times before my actual entered characters will "stick" and I can successfully login. VERY rarely it will work first time after a reboot.

I haven't been able to find any information about this rather bizarre behavior. Most solutions point to language settings, but I can assure you I have checked and rechecked these 1000 times, and English is my language both in the OS and the lock screen. Even the on screen keyboard exhibits the same behavior.

I have had this problem since I installed Windows 10 on this machine, and have done a complete wipe, format and reinstall on multiple occasions to try to resolve it, with no luck. I've tried multiple keyboards, with no luck. Tired of dealing with it and want to try to get to the bottom of it.

:)

The KarakNor, Dec 17, 2019

2. change the lock screen password

Hi Eric,

Let us resolve you concern regarding on how you can change your lock screen password. We suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Press the Windows key; then, select Settings.
    • Click Accounts; then, Sign-In Options.
    • Tap the Change button in the Password section.
    • Re-enter your password; then, create a new password.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Dec 17, 2019
  3. Windows 10 lock screen and repeating characters

Hello,

Just updated from Windows 8.1 to 10. My question is in regards to the lock screen. In windows 8.1, when I booted, I would get to the lock screen, enter my password, and continue as expected.

Since upgrading to Windows 10, when I boot and get to the lock screen, the password field immediately fills with repeating characters (don't know what they are, as it appears only as the usual dot). I am unable to type anything, or delete, as the field is
    continuously being filled with characters. The only way to fix this is to unplug and replug the keyboard. Once I do that, I can select all the fill characters, delete them, and type my password.

I highly doubt this is a keyboard issue, as I used the same keyboard with 8.1 and never experienced any issues. It started immediately after installing 10.

I don't want to unplug/replug my keyboard every time I boot.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

DesktopGuy, Dec 17, 2019
  4. e nug Win User

Characters change in password field on lock screen

Lock screen password field gets locked

After coming of screen saver or sleep, my lock screen password field gets locked and I can't enter a password. For 20 sec to 1 min, sometimes, I'm locked out of being able to enter a password; but eventually input field is enabled and I can enter a password.

This seems to have started pretty immediately after upgrading Windows 10.

Does anybody know why this happens or how I can resolve it?

e nug, Dec 17, 2019
Thema:

Characters change in password field on lock screen

1. Characters change in password field on lock screen - Similar Threads - Characters change password

2. Windows10 password field autofills with +++++++++ characters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows10 password field autofills with +++++++++ characters: Hello. Since this morning impossible to login to my Windows10 desktop machine. The password field on the login screen auto-fills immediately with black dots for one account and with +++ characters for the second. Using another keyboard / mouse gives the same...
  3. Windows10 password field autofills with +++++++++ characters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows10 password field autofills with +++++++++ characters: Hello. Since this morning impossible to login to my Windows10 desktop machine. The password field on the login screen auto-fills immediately with black dots for one account and with +++ characters for the second. Using another keyboard / mouse gives the same...
  4. Windows10 password field autofills with +++++++++ characters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to change lock screen password?

How to change lock screen password?: The password option is missing! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-lock-screen-password/c48d1e58-cf8d-44cf-a83a-887e81ece9fb
  6. Why do my characters change in password field on lock screen?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Why do my characters change in password field on lock screen?: Originally asked here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/characters-change-in-password-field-on-lock-screen/b78e06d2-b483-408a-a9a6-bee3c1f27375I have the exact issue described below - but can't find a workable solution. I have a unique issue that I have...
  7. Why do my characters change in password field on lock screen?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do my characters change in password field on lock screen?: Originally asked here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/characters-change-in-password-field-on-lock-screen/b78e06d2-b483-408a-a9a6-bee3c1f27375I have the exact issue described below - but can't find a workable solution. I have a unique issue that I have...
  8. Why do my characters change in password field on lock screen?

9. Change lock screen password onlzy

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Change lock screen password onlzy: Hi, I just got a laptop that I'm going to use for office work when not at home. So I'd like to keep getting asked for a password. But it's quite annoying that the lock screen password is my microsoft password. It has become an abomination because it can't be set to an...
  10. Bitlocker inputs multiple characters in the password field

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker inputs multiple characters in the password field: Hello, I have been using BitLocker for a long time now and in conjunction with Windows 10 for 3 months and today something weird happened. When I tried to insert my password at boot, when I pressed the Shift key in combination with any other key, it inserted tens of...