Windows 10: Cheap peripherals no longer recognised / saved after recent Windows 10

Discus and support Cheap peripherals no longer recognised / saved after recent Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi! first time posting here, so I hope I don't break any unwritten rules. I have an older PC (specs at the bottom and in my profile) that I upgraded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mara Kalat, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Cheap peripherals no longer recognised / saved after recent Windows 10

Hi!

first time posting here, so I hope I don't break any unwritten rules. I have an older PC (specs at the bottom and in my profile) that I upgraded to Windows 10 (from 7) a few months ago. Everything was fine until a recent Windows update (a month ago?).

I have two cheap USB peripherals that I actively use. An offbrand XBox 360 wireless receiver and a cheap WiFi dongle. I am used to Windows not knowing what to make of these two devices and having to manually point it towards the correct drivers.

An earlier Windows 10 update already broke the drivers for these two devices, and I had to manually set them up again (a minor annoyance) but the problem with this recent update is that reassigning the correct drivers doesn't do anything anymore.

The two peripherals show up in the Device Manager as usual, I assign them their correct drivers ("XBox 360 Wireless Receiver" and "Realtek RTL8192CU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter" respectively), windows informs me that it has successfully installed these drivers and the device is now active, refreshes the Device manager and... nothing has changed.

I'd really like to be able to use these two devices again, but googling around hasn't given me any leads so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Some notes:
    • I have tried rebooting my PC between hardware installation attempts
    • I have tried different USB ports
    • There are no further Windows 10 updates pending that might correct this issue
    • Since this affects two devices (and they are actually showing up in the device manager) it is unlikely/~impossible that the hardware just broke.
    )

Thank you for your time.

Windows Version number: 19041.388

Specs:
    • AMD FX-4130 Processor
    • ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 Motherboard
    • ASUS GTX660 Ti-DC2O-2GD5, GeForce GTX 660 Ti Graphics card
    • 16GB RAM (Corsair Vengeance Low Profile)

:)

Mara Kalat, Jul 26, 2020
  2. Jerry8A Win User

Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Jul 26, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 26, 2020
  4. Cheap peripherals no longer recognised / saved after recent Windows 10

Cheap Photo box that will get the job done

WEll i took on this project for PP hes a hardware reviewer and wants to get the professional looking pics for the Pc parts

Materials:
    • Big cardboard box
    • a razor
    • white material 3 yards
    • cone lights
    • stapler
    • medical tape
    • pvc pipe about 6 inches longer than your box
    • white paint any cheap finger paint would work
    the project I'm guessing will cost me $30 if it works out properly
    I will post pictures and step by step as i do it

MomentoMoir, Jul 26, 2020
Thema:

Cheap peripherals no longer recognised / saved after recent Windows 10

1. Cheap peripherals no longer recognised / saved after recent Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Cheap peripherals longer

2. Windows 10 taskbar Search no longer saving recent *documents*

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 taskbar Search no longer saving recent *documents*: Within the last week of so, I've noticed that when I use the Windows 10 taskbar Search button to find things, it no longer shows my recent *documents*. If I search for and find an app, then the next time I use the Search button, that app is indeed shown under the pop-up...
  3. Windows 10 taskbar Search no longer saving recent *documents*

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 taskbar Search no longer saving recent *documents*: Within the last week of so, I've noticed that when I use the Windows 10 taskbar Search button to find things, it no longer shows my recent *documents*. If I search for and find an app, then the next time I use the Search button, that app is indeed shown under the pop-up...
  4. Windows 10 taskbar Search no longer saving recent *documents*

in Cortana
  5. Windows PIN no longer recognised.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows PIN no longer recognised.: Hi, I have had Windows 11 on my laptop for quite a few months now with no issues.Now today I find I can't log in with my PIN and every time I log in with my password it tells me I have to set up a PIN which I already had.I've tried to set up a new PIN but it asks for my...
  6. Windows PIN no longer recognised.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows PIN no longer recognised.: Hi, I have had Windows 11 on my laptop for quite a few months now with no issues.Now today I find I can't log in with my PIN and every time I log in with my password it tells me I have to set up a PIN which I already had.I've tried to set up a new PIN but it asks for my...
  7. DVI monitors not recognised after recent Windows updates

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVI monitors not recognised after recent Windows updates: The issue is that a laptop with an HDMI port fails to recognise a Dell monitor connected via either an HDMI/DVI cable or an HDMI/HDMI cable plus HDMI/DVI adapter. This has worked for over a year but recent Windows updates seem to have broken this and now only monitors...
  8. Cheap peripherals no longer recognised / saved after recent Windows 10

Cheap peripherals no longer recognised / saved after recent Windows 10: Hi! first time posting here, so I hope I don't break any unwritten rules. I have an older PC (specs at the bottom and in my profile) that I upgraded to Windows 10 (from 7) a few months ago. Everything was fine until a recent Windows update (a month ago?). I have two cheap...
  9. Cheap peripherals no longer recognised / saved after recent Windows 10

Cheap peripherals no longer recognised / saved after recent Windows 10: Hi! first time posting here, so I hope I don't break any unwritten rules. I have an older PC specs at the bottom that I upgraded to Windows 10 from 7 a few months ago. Everything was fine until a recent Windows update a month ago?. I have two cheap USB peripherals that I...
  10. Save and Save As not working after recent update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Save and Save As not working after recent update: I logged in to Windows this morning, and everything seems to have changed overnight. That's not a problem, except that now Save and Save As are not working properly for all of my apps. I've tried several times to save files, and I get a couple of different errors: - Check...